• Start date
  • Views 1,365
JHawkZZ

JHawkZZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey all,

Slowly getting more in to console modding, but curious about a general system issue. I have a couple of Goodwill 360s I've found, and when I insert any disc (game or DVD), it reads it and then just goes back to the generic "Open Disc Drive" message as if there's no disc in there. The only exception are CDs, which do load.

Can anyone tell me what this is a symptom of? Does it mean the drive's lasers themselves are just bad?

Thanks!

HYX

HYX

Administrator
Administrator
Lifetime
Hidden Devils
Scaling the Mountain Programmer Odysseus' Summit
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey all,

Slowly getting more in to console modding, but curious about a general system issue. I have a couple of Goodwill 360s I've found, and when I insert any disc (game or DVD), it reads it and then just goes back to the generic "Open Disc Drive" message as if there's no disc in there. The only exception are CDs, which do load.

Can anyone tell me what this is a symptom of? Does it mean the drive's lasers themselves are just bad?

Thanks!
I would assume this is an issue with the DVD drive laser if anything.

JHawkZZ

JHawkZZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's a Lite-on--I just adjusted the pot and used a multimeter to put it at 3.67, and also cleaned the laser. Same thing. Safe to say the drive is just dead?

Also, if I have another drive I could swap it out with, what would the symptom be if the DVD Key doesn't match the mobo?

Thanks again so much!

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
It's a Lite-on--I just adjusted the pot and used a multimeter to put it at 3.67, and also cleaned the laser. Same thing. Safe to say the drive is just dead?

Also, if I have another drive I could swap it out with, what would the symptom be if the DVD Key doesn't match the mobo?

Thanks again so much!
One, it could be that the dvd drive and motherboard aren't "Matched" by the mainboards unique "DVD Key". Only real way of checking this (but you'll need all the hardware and software in order to carry this out) is to extract the dvd drives dvd key first, than extract the mainboards "Nand" and flash "Xell" onto the Nand so you can cross check both the drives and main boards "DVD Key.
Two, replace the dvd drives laser itself. You can buy these brand new from "Chipchop Mods" UK (with international shipping if your not located in the UK).
I would start with replacing the laser unit in the drive first but don't forget to remove/de-solder the "Anti Static" solder bridge on the new laser unit before fitting. Just add a flux to the solder bridge, a small amount of solder on your irons tip and gently swipe downwards, it'll re-open the two solder connections so they are no longer bridged.

HYX

HYX

Administrator
Administrator
Lifetime
Hidden Devils
Scaling the Mountain Programmer Odysseus' Summit
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I would assume it is just that the drive is dead if the console was unopened before you tried messing with it. However, if the console has been taken apart before and you are unsure if the drive is the original that came with the console that could very well be your issue. When a drive is replaced you often need to replace the dvd drive board, which most people don't do or flash the dvd key to the new drive that matches the same value as your old one.

JHawkZZ

JHawkZZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
One, it could be that the dvd drive and motherboard aren't "Matched" by the mainboards unique "DVD Key". Only real way of checking this (but you'll need all the hardware and software in order to carry this out) is to extract the dvd drives dvd key first, than extract the mainboards "Nand" and flash "Xell" onto the Nand so you can cross check both the drives and main boards "DVD Key.
Two, replace the dvd drives laser itself. You can buy these brand new from "Chipchop Mods" UK (with international shipping if your not located in the UK).
I would start with replacing the laser unit in the drive first but don't forget to remove/de-solder the "Anti Static" solder bridge on the new laser unit before fitting. Just add a flux to the solder bridge, a small amount of solder on your irons tip and gently swipe downwards, it'll re-open the two solder connections so they are no longer bridged.
Thanks for the tips! I bookmarked Chipchop Mods, that site looks incredibly useful.

I did make some progress. In the 360 that simply said "Open DVD Drive" even after putting a disc in, I swapped the entire drive for an identical drive from another 360. Instead of saying "Open DVD Drive" it said, "Put this disc in an X-Box 360."

Next, I swapped just the lasers, and when I put the drive back in the 360, it booted the game up.

So I'm thinking:
Symptom: Open DVD Drive, Cause: Dead Laser

Symptom: Put this disc in an X-Box 360, Cause: Mismatched DVD Key
Post automatically merged:

I would assume it is just that the drive is dead if the console was unopened before you tried messing with it. However, if the console has been taken apart before and you are unsure if the drive is the original that came with the console that could very well be your issue. When a drive is replaced you often need to replace the dvd drive board, which most people don't do or flash the dvd key to the new drive that matches the same value as your old one.
I think you're 100% right about the mismatched dvd key. Just above this post I replied with some findings I had that seem to confirm this. You're correct that in my initial attempt I didn't think to replace the dvd drive board. Thanks so much!

Top Bottom
Login
Register