What's new

Solved 360 Disk Drive Help

• Thread starter jack_null
  • Start date
  • Views 304

Can the wire explain the symptoms of the console?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
jack_null

jack_null

Reaction score
Sin$
I have a Xbox 360 that hadsnt been able to play disks since I got it over a year ago. In fact, the Xbox blinks the power button indicating it doesn't even detect a drive plugged in. So I decided to take the drive apart and see what's going on. I found that on the logic board, a black cord came off the solder.

My questions are, 1. Can the disconnected wire cause my problems I'm expierance?
And 2. How do I get the wire connected again? Just desolder resolder?

I'll try to attach photos.

Noobert

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Trifecta Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I have a Xbox 360 that hadsnt been able to play disks since I got it over a year ago. In fact, the Xbox blinks the power button indicating it doesn't even detect a drive plugged in. So I decided to take the drive apart and see what's going on. I found that on the logic board, a black cord came off the solder.

My questions are, 1. Can the disconnected wire cause my problems I'm expierance?
And 2. How do I get the wire connected again? Just desolder resolder?

I'll try to attach photos.

Yeah, you're going to need to upload pictures, because I'm confused by what "came off the solder" means.

jack_null

jack_null

Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, you're going to need to upload pictures, because I'm confused by what "came off the solder" means.
I'm trying to right now, but the site is telling me that .jpg isn't a acceptable format.

Noobert

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, I uploaded two pictures. Here's the link: (let me know if it works, never used Imgur before)

Ohhh okay yeah, that would definitely be the reason the Drive isn't being detected haha.

Just solder the black wire back on and you'll be good to go.

jack_null

jack_null

Reaction score
Sin$
Ohhh okay yeah, that would definitely be the reason the Drive isn't being detected haha.

Just solder the black wire back on and you'll be good to go.
Do I need to desolder the old stuff? I've never saldered before, just got my first iron last week.... Haha

Noobert

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Do I need to desolder the old stuff? I've never saldered before, just got my first iron last week.... Haha

Nope, just heat up the existing pad with your iron, and push the black wire's tip back into the solder.

jack_null

jack_null

Reaction score
Sin$
Nope, just heat up the existing pad with your iron, and push the black wire's tip back into the solder.
It worked! Sort of...
I mean, the xbox now recognizes the disk drive, opens and closes. So, that worked.
But when I put in a disk (tried both a game and a movie) the only thing that appears on the dashboard is,
"Open Tray"
Maybe the laser is burnt out

Noobert

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
It worked! Sort of...
I mean, the xbox now recognizes the disk drive, opens and closes. So, that worked.
But when I put in a disk (tried both a game and a movie) the only thing that appears on the dashboard is,
"Open Tray"
Maybe the laser is burnt out

If you have a multimeter, you could attempt the pot-tweak on it.

Noobert

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, I've had success with that before. Anything else you can think of? I'll try the pot tweak right now

Only thing I could think of besides the pot-tweak would just be to clean the laser off. Maybe dust is in the way or something.

jack_null

jack_null

Reaction score
Sin$
Only thing I could think of besides the pot-tweak would just be to clean the laser off. Maybe dust is in the way or something.
Actually, I just noticed that the disk isn't even spinning when I put the disk in... What do you think? Leaning more with motor, or laser?

Noobert

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Actually, I just noticed that the disk isn't even spinning when I put the disk in... What do you think? Leaning more with motor, or laser?

You can give this video a shot hahaha

jack_null

jack_null

Reaction score
Sin$
You can give this video a shot hahaha

"Take a screw driver and turn these two screws clockwise (points to pots screws)" - I feel realllllyyyy bad for the person who tries to tighten those screws all the way.... People really need to do their research before messing with things they don't know anything about.

Top Bottom
Login
Register