• Thread starter Pickygoblin
  • Start date
  • Views 596
Pickygoblin

Pickygoblin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, I've been working on a couple Xboxs for the last week or so. So far I haven't gotten any of them past the state that they were in, and Youtube + Google can only help me so much. So I'm hoping somebody here will have some insight as to what I can do to fix these annoying errors.

Xbox #1: JTAG-able. Original dashboard, hasn't been used since 2008ish. Zephyr Xbox.
Symptoms: Error 0003. X-Clamped with some 10mm bolts and washers. I've tried reflowing it with a griddle and a heat gun, but that didn't work. I insulated the capacitors using the blue putty method. Nothing set on fire. But that Xbox after cooling for an hour still gives me the same error. I've tested the power supply on this one. Thinking I need to desolder the MOSFETs from another box and give it a go. The heatsinks don't get hot, and the fans spin up for half a second on boot.

Xbox #2: Probably JTAG-able. Unknown dashboard, this Xbox was given to me. Xenon Xbox.
Symptoms: Unknown Error. X-Clamped with 10mm bolts and washers. This Xbox intermittently turns on. I've yet to get it to turn on in it's case, but if I lay the motherboard out on a towel and wiggle the boards around, it will boot. I'm not sure if this is due to the Power Jack or what... Stumped here. It gives me a RROD but I can't get an error code with any combination of buttons. The heatsinks do heat up rapidly and the fans rev at max.

Xbox #3: Not JTAG-able. Been used within the last 18 months. This is my friends Xbox. It's a Falcon or Jasper (HDMI) Xbox.
Symptoms: Error 0021. We thought it was the DVD drive, but that hasn't been the case so far. We haven't had a chance to reflow it yet, but the X-clamp hasn't fixed anything so far. Same errors across the board regardless of the DVD drive. Sigh.

What do you guys advise? It'd be cool to get a JTAG Xbox running. But I'm good with anything. :smile:

Regards,
-Picky Goblin.

Mr Musky 7s

Mr Musky 7s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Try and Overheat with a towel and leave them for a little bit then turn them off and back on again.
Just a Suggestion :~)

F

Flavour

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I messaged him; hopefully he replies.
Xbox # 1
0003 - Power problem could be the PSU could be the GPU/CPU, somehow the console isn't getting clean power from the power supply.
Xbox # 2
Find the secondary error code
Xbox # 3
Could be this :
0021 - This can be caused by two completely different things either:
A. DVD Drive Time out - Can be caused by problems with a firmware flash. This is also speculated to sometime be caused by a problem with the southbridge chipset on the motherboard based on how it connects to the DVD drive.
B. GPU error, generally caused by a poor connection to the mainboard (cold solder joints/bridged solder joints) See error 102 for more information

If it's not that, then it's this :
0102 - Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.
There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips. DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced.
[/list]0103 GPU Error this is usually caused by bridged solder points where the GPU connects to the mainboard. see error 0102 for more detailed information

Try and Overheat with a towel and leave them for a little bit then turn them off and back on again.
Just a Suggestion :~)
No. This will not work. It's also not a smart thing to do. May aswell try the oven reflow.

Pickygoblin

Pickygoblin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
@BarefootPlayer3:
Xbox #1: I've tried reflowing the first Xbox, that's the procedure most people suggest. I'm going to try replacing the MOSFETs now.
Xbox #2: It won't give me an error code. Regardless of what I do. I'm just tearing this one apart now and pulling the MOSFETs from it for Xbox #1.
Xbox #3: I'll try a reflow and get back to you on this one.

As for the Towel, no thanks. I've got my own heating methods. ;D

numpty

numpty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
@BarefootPlayer3:
Xbox #1: I've tried reflowing the first Xbox, that's the procedure most people suggest. I'm going to try replacing the MOSFETs now.
Xbox #2: It won't give me an error code. Regardless of what I do. I'm just tearing this one apart now and pulling the MOSFETs from it for Xbox #1.
Xbox #3: I'll try a reflow and get back to you on this one.

As for the Towel, no thanks. I've got my own heating methods. ;D

If you've reflowed with a heatgun then you've propably knackered the motherboard

Top Bottom
Login
Register