What's new

3 Pin Splitter weird RPM sensor readings?

• Thread starter Killercacciatore
  • Start date
  • Views 345
Killercacciatore

Killercacciatore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi there.
So in my Asus A88XM-A Motherboard, i only have a single "sys_fan" 4 pin connector, and since I'm using more than one fan I'm using a splitter with 3 fans connected to it, 2 Zalman fans and an itek fan both 120 mm.
The problem is that when I open HardWare Monitor to check the fan speeds it shows random numbers jumping from 350 to 1200 or even 6000 and sometimes they jump to 80000 or even higher! it's like the RPM sensors conflict with each other.
Is this caused by the triple splitter? or by the fact that I'm using 2 fans from a brand (which were included with the case by the way) and a different brand one? another thing that I tried is blocking one of the fans and the speed went to "0" even if the other 2 were still spinning.
Any ideas? all I really wanted was to have all 3 fans speed up/slow down at the same time, and it feels like they are all spinning at max speed.

Red58

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have read that monitoring things like fan speed, temps, etc can be inaccurate depending on the hardware you possess. For example the software I used on my last computer always indicated the my CPU Temps were 0°C. It could maybe depend on the software too, it might potentially just be poorly coded or only able to read specific hardware. That's the best insight I can give.

Killercacciatore

Killercacciatore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have read that monitoring things like fan speed, temps, etc can be inaccurate depending on the hardware you possess. For example the software I used on my last computer always indicated the my CPU Temps were 0°C. It could maybe depend on the software too, it might potentially just be poorly coded or only able to read specific hardware. That's the best insight I can give.
Ok , but even the BIOS tells me speeds from 350 to 2000 RPM.

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi there.
So in my Asus A88XM-A Motherboard, i only have a single "sys_fan" 4 pin connector, and since I'm using more than one fan I'm using a splitter with 3 fans connected to it, 2 Zalman fans and an itek fan both 120 mm.
The problem is that when I open HardWare Monitor to check the fan speeds it shows random numbers jumping from 350 to 1200 or even 6000 and sometimes they jump to 80000 or even higher! it's like the RPM sensors conflict with each other.
Is this caused by the triple splitter? or by the fact that I'm using 2 fans from a brand (which were included with the case by the way) and a different brand one? another thing that I tried is blocking one of the fans and the speed went to "0" even if the other 2 were still spinning.
Any ideas? all I really wanted was to have all 3 fans speed up/slow down at the same time, and it feels like they are all spinning at max speed.
Yeah, it's because of the splitter, you can't just mix all of the signals together and expect it to work right. If you want to control the fans, plug them in separate plugs or use an external fan controller.

Top Bottom
Login
Register