2 rings?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by xXxDarkkillerxXx, Nov 18, 2008 with 27 replies and 2,200 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXxDarkkillerxXx

xXxDarkkillerxXx Enthusiast

Ratings:
    switch on my xbox fan give aloud noise and stop after 5 sec and give me two red lights..can tell me whats the problem and what should i do? and this is a new 360 i got last xmas i thought they fixed the problem?

2. .Perfection

.Perfection Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Overheating.
    do you get an error message on the TV screen?

3. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
  4. OP
    xXxDarkkillerxXx

Ratings:
    no its 2 not 3 rings and nothing shows up on tv

5. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    It doesn't matter. You have the RRoD from overheating.

But lets say that it isn't the RRoD (which I highly doubt), to fix it just give yourself the RRoD by wrapping your 360 up in towls for about 45 minutes, until you get 3 lights, and then ship it off to MS. Have them fix it anyway.

6. Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire Retired Admin 4 Life Retired

Ratings:
    Or not? B-Rad.... if you dont know what your talking about dont offer advice... it ISNT RRoD. Its the overheating error

You might have a bad fan

7. OP
    xXxDarkkillerxXx

Ratings:
    how can i tell if its a bad fan? when i first turn it on it real loud i have spare fans if thats the case

8. Venomous Fire

Ratings:
    if you have spare fans just plug em in and see if you still get the loud screech

9. OP
    xXxDarkkillerxXx

Ratings:
    i just looked when i turn it on they both spin then shuts off after about 5 sec

10. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    Well considering you can get the RRoD from overheating, I do know what I'm talking about.

Either way, take my advice and give yourself the RRoD anyway. It will save you the trouble of having to fix it manually.

Unless it is your fan alone and you want to go out and buy a new one. Because if not, Microsoft will do it all themselves.

11. OP
    xXxDarkkillerxXx

Ratings:
    it doesnt even turn on revs up and goes to the 2 rings

12. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    Well answer .Perfections question about an error message. You say the TV screen is completely blank? Doesn't say anything at all?

13. OP
    xXxDarkkillerxXx

Ratings:
  14. Venomous Fire

Ratings:
    Orly? You cant get RRoD from the overheating error. If you knew what you were talking about you would know that. The overheating error shuts off the 360.

And dark it looks like your xbox is doing what mine did, eventually all that happened was no lights, no screen, or anything. Assuming it isnt a bad fan.

My suggestion is to pop off RAM chips o give it RRoD and send it in if that s the case. But have you tried with another fan yet?

15. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    There's a difference between the "overheating error" and the after effects of your 360 overheating. That's not true. If it was, wrapping your 360 in towls would not give you the RRoD.

You tell me I don't know what I'm talking about then say the exact same thing I said and if you read his posts you would see that he did try another fan and it gave him the same result.

Dark just give it the RRoD and send it to Microsoft.

16. Venomous Fire

Ratings:
    so? B-Rad, you REALLY dont want to argue this with me lol, I know ALOT more than you.

Towel trick boils the thermal paste to reattach it to the CPU/GPU. If it is done enough times the paste will spread so thin there wont be a good connection, causing permanent RRoD.

When an xbox overheats and gets the overheating error it shuts off. Dont believe me? take off the fan ducts and the fans and let the 360 run until it gets the overheating error, it will stop working and shut itself off after a few minutes.

I said to send it into MSoft IF it isnt a bad fan, which i honestly think it is.

And just a little bit of side fun facts. Xclamp wouldnt fix this if he tried it. Xclamp does what the towel trick does, only it does it properly. The board is attached to heatsinks and when the board gets hot it warps slightly. When it does that the heatsinks DONT warp, they are thick and made of metal. The Xclamps make things worse as the dont allow the heatsinks to move with the board. This causes a shift in the board, popping the CPU or GPU off the heatsink. sometimes it is just for a few minutes as while it cooling the paste re-attaches to the chip, but some times it doesnt. The xclamp fix lets the heatsinks move with the board, making it harder for them to disconnect. and also since you put new paste on you have a VERY good connection from the heatsink to the chip. The reason for using Arctic silver is because its ALOT better than the crap Msoft uses.

Any more questions?

17. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    .... and you just explained the process. How do you think that thermal paste will boil? Not by itself. Heat my friend.

Also I'm pretty sure his post said he tried both fans and they stopped working but he may have meant it another way.

Did you try another fan? If you didn't try another fan, don't send it in until you do but if the fans aren't the problem, unless you find a way to fix it manually, just ship it off. It isn't going to be fun not having your 360 but sometimes that's just the way it is.

18. Venomous Fire

Ratings:
    I explained how towel trick can give RRoD, if you do it multiple times. How about actually reading my posts instead of reading one sentence and hoping you can refute it. If its an overheating error, WHICH IT IS, towel trick wont do jack for it, because the 360 wont be heating up.

and he said both fans, in case you HAVENT noticed, the fans in the 360 have 2 fans.

And whats with NOW suggesting to do both fans? I thought you JUST said IN THAT POST he had already tried em? Grasping at straws much?

19. OP
    xXxDarkkillerxXx

Ratings:
    i dident try the other fans but before i rip it apart if the fans are bad would they still rev of full power at start up?

20. Venomous Fire

Ratings:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.