What's new

Question PS3 turning off (flashing red light)

• Thread starter pyro577
  • Start date
  • Views 2,612
P

pyro577

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi guys..

I got a jail broken ps3 fat here that Ive had reballed not long ago to fix the yellow then red flashing light on start up (ylod)

Now the console works fine and is on rogero 4.55 spoofed to 4.60. All my games work find but when I play gta 5 online with RTM mods, randomly my console is turning off with 3 beeps and red light flashing. (no yellow light)

Its not over heading It says it at around 60deg both gpu and cpu at the time of the control turning off.

My console repair man said it could be software related or something because the ps3 checks out perfectly and only happens on gta online.

Im thinking about starting over and upgrading to habib 4.60 and everything again and see what happens.

Anyone else got any thoughts??

Oh the gta is a store bought bles version. not pirated.

Wolf

Wolf

Zombies :D
Retired
Sinner 7th Anniversary Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
It more than likely is overheating. GTA has done that to a lot of systems due to it being a GPU intensive game, and the system not being able to keep up. If you've heard of Fan Control Utility, I'd try that and see if that resolves the issue.

NuKeShoT

NuKeShoT

Reaction score
Sin$
If you want to play gta v with RTM tools don't upgrade to habib 4.6, ccapi don't support that version, psnpatch doesn't work to.
My friend recently downgrade their habib 4.60 to rogero 4.55 and almost lost the jailbrake doing sh*t.

P

pyro577

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Its not overheating temps are between 55 & 60 deg when it happens randomly. Thanks for the tip on habib looks like ill be waiting for rogero.

P

pyro577

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok this is starting to do my head in... Temps are fine 55 deg on both gpu and cpu. Its had a full reball with leaded solder. Only seems to do it when I play gta online with modz. Sometimes its does it as soon as I get online, sometimes I could have played for hours before it happens. What else could cause this? PSU, HDD?

Reaper

Reaper

Shoot.Move.Communicate
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok this is starting to do my head in... Temps are fine 55 deg on both gpu and cpu. Its had a full reball with leaded solder. Only seems to do it when I play gta online with modz. Sometimes its does it as soon as I get online, sometimes I could have played for hours before it happens. What else could cause this? PSU, HDD?

Your GPU is definitely over heating, GTA V is already a VERY demanding game without mods so when you add those into the mix it puts an extra stress load on the console, and since your motherboard has already been repaired once it is at greater risk for overheating again. Best thing I can suggest is follow Respect_Cartman Respect_Cartman 's tut on how to permanently fix YLOD from happening, it's a pretty straight forward tut and easy to follow, I personally followed it and now my temps set a ice cold 48-50 degrees while modding hard on GTA online.

P

pyro577

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Reaper I respect what you say but, Its GPU and CPU are NOT overheating.

My temps never go over 60 and I can bring them down as low as 53deg under heavy modding of gta with the fan utility set at 80% manual.

I also dont understand how a properly reballed gpu and cpu could be at a greater risk of overheating?? It has been reballed with leaded solder so would be better at handling heat then it came from factory.

I had the case off last night and played I checked the temp of the psu and it was warm but not hot at all. The hole system runs very cool. 
Mate its had a proper reball job done for the ylod.

Ive just tested my PSU... On xbm menu Im getting 11.9V when I go into GTA and it loads after a while it flickers from 11.9 to 11.8 before turning off with a red light. I should have at least 12V all the time?

I think the psu is on its last legs and when under load its not supplying enough voltage to the 12+ rail.

I tried to wire in a old pc psu I had laying around but its 12+ rail only has 18amps. The psu in the playstation reads 21.5amps :O

I guess I need a new psu or a big pc psu. I like the idea of making the psu external from the ps3 anyway.

F

Falcon

PlayStation Master
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi guys..

I got a jail broken ps3 fat here that Ive had reballed not long ago to fix the yellow then red flashing light on start up (ylod)

Now the console works fine and is on rogero 4.55 spoofed to 4.60. All my games work find but when I play gta 5 online with RTM mods, randomly my console is turning off with 3 beeps and red light flashing. (no yellow light)

Its not over heading It says it at around 60deg both gpu and cpu at the time of the control turning off.

My console repair man said it could be software related or something because the ps3 checks out perfectly and only happens on gta online.

Im thinking about starting over and upgrading to habib 4.60 and everything again and see what happens.

Anyone else got any thoughts??

Oh the gta is a store bought bles version. not pirated.
Had this issue when I messed my console up I had to reflash the nand to the console and re jailbreak the console I would try that if you could or see if another FW Mine turned off beeped 3 times then bricked red

Respect_Cartman

Respect_Cartman

Project Mayhem!!
Reaction score
Sin$
Reaper I respect what you say but, Its GPU and CPU are NOT overheating.

My temps never go over 60 and I can bring them down as low as 53deg under heavy modding of gta with the fan utility set at 80% manual.

I also dont understand how a properly reballed gpu and cpu could be at a greater risk of overheating?? It has been reballed with leaded solder so would be better at handling heat then it came from factory.

I had the case off last night and played I checked the temp of the psu and it was warm but not hot at all. The hole system runs very cool. 
Mate its had a proper reball job done for the ylod.

Ive just tested my PSU... On xbm menu Im getting 11.9V when I go into GTA and it loads after a while it flickers from 11.9 to 11.8 before turning off with a red light. I should have at least 12V all the time?

I think the psu is on its last legs and when under load its not supplying enough voltage to the 12+ rail.

I tried to wire in a old pc psu I had laying around but its 12+ rail only has 18amps. The psu in the playstation reads 21.5amps :O

I guess I need a new psu or a big pc psu. I like the idea of making the psu external from the ps3 anyway.

When was the last time you put on thermal paste and did you do it properly? If you have applied a thick layer of thermal paste than perhaps your heat sink is not making a proper contact with your chips. This makes perfect sense why your temps will be showing as low but your chips are burning up internally. Thermal paste shouldn't be more than a paper thin layer, evenly spread edge to edge. I have fixed the exact same issue before. Remember if your heatsink is not making a proper contact with your chips than it wont matter if you take the cover off or not... Ambient environment is not alone enough to cool these chips.

P

pyro577

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Guys thanks for the tips but il say it again. It just had a professional reball done. leaded solder used we cleaned the console and yes of couse used new thermal paste applied correctly.

Last night i cut some holes in the top of the psu and mounted a fan running off an external power source and i got 4 hours of hard gta modding in. Again another reason to suspect the psu is overheating and thermo shutdown. I also noted that with beforre the psu fan was installed if i had my fan set to 70% id get very sort game times before the shutdow. but with it set to preload id get longer game time but as my fan sped up it would red light. I'm thinking the extra draw of the higher fan speeds are putting the psu under more load to the point that one heatsink in the psu is red hot and the system shuts off. I'm trying to find another psu

Top Bottom
Login
Register