Tutorial * TuT * - How to temp/Perm fix RRoD- * Cheap Way *

• Thread starter xMoDzDai
  • Start date
  • Views 1,625
xMoDzDai

xMoDzDai

Reaction score
Sin$
Here is a VERY simple guide on how to temp/Perm fix RRoD and the best part.... Its cheap
Items Needed :
Philips head screwdriver
Plyers
Torx T8
Torx T10
Cotton Budds / Cutips
Methylated Spirit
Heatgun / Hair dryer.
3.jpg
4.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use of a Heat gun...
Solder connections on processors seem to be a very common failure point in modern electronics. Consider the Red Ring of Death (RRoD) on Xbox 360 or the Yellow Light of Death (YLoD) on PlayStation 3, The video is sometimes a jumbled mess and other times theres no video at all. If the hardware is older, and the alternative to fixing it is to throw it away, you should try to reflow the solder connections on the chip.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This method uses a heat gun, which weve seen repair PCBs in the past. The goal here is to be much less destructive and thats why the first step is to test out how well your heat gun will melt the solder. Place a chunk of solder on a penny, hold the heat gun one inch above it and record how long it takes the solder to flow. Once you have the timing right, mask off the motherboard (already removed from the case) so that just the chip in question is accessible. Reflow with the same spacing and timing as you did during the penny test. Hopefully once things cool down youll have a working gaming console again.
Step 1 : Remove the face plate and grey vents from top and bottom of the console.
Step 2 : Undo the clips on the front of the console.
5.jpg
Step 3 : Bend back the outer plastic case (it will feel like its going to snap but if you take your time with it, it wont)
7.jpg
Step 4 : Undo the Large and small screws and place to one side
81.jpg
9.jpg
Step 5 : Lift off the outer case and place to one side.
10.jpg
Step 6 : Undo the screws from your RF Board and remove.
13.jpg
Step 7 : Lift up your DVD Drive and disconnect the cables to the rear and place the drive to one side.
15.jpg
Step 8 : Remove your fan shroud then disconnect and remove fans.
16.jpg
17.jpg
19.jpg
Step 9 : Holding the heatsync pull the motherboard out of the metal chassis.
20.jpg
Step 10 : Now to remove the heatsyncs and Xclamps. Turn over your motherboard so it is upside down. Now you will have 2 Xclamps there. You will need to place a screw driver (small one) into the end of each leg of the Xclamp where the bolt is and riggle it free.
Once free you will be able to take off the Heat syncs.
21.jpg
You will be left with the bolts in the heatsyncs, just take a set of pliers and unscrew them.
Step 11 : You will notice on the GPU and CPU there is a grey gunk all over the chips, you will need to get some Methylated Spirit and some cotton budds (of for the USA folk "cue tips") and rub the chips untill they are like new and free from any old heat paste.
22.jpg
Step 12 : Take some kitchen foil and place around the chips to act as a heat shield for the other components around the chip.
23.jpg
Step 13 : Now you will need HEAT! I personaly use a Heat Gun but a hair dryer will suffice, now hold it around 2 inches above the chip and heat for around 3 mins each.
Step 14 : Let the motherboard cool for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Step 15 : You will now need to place a small amount of heat paste onto the GPU/CPU. Use just enough to put a layer over the whole chip ( ONLY THE SHINEY BIT!!!)
24.jpg
Step 16 : Now get your screws and washers, Place a metal washer and a nylon washer on the screw (metal first then nylon so the nylon will be against the board) turn you board upside down and place in the holes. Hold them in place with sellotape for ease, then turn the board over and place a nylon then metal washer to the other side where the screw is protruding through.
25.jpg
Step 17 : Now take you first heat sync and place it onto the screws and while still holding the heat sync hold your board upright and screw the syncs to the board. (repeat for other heat sync)
Step 18 : Now put your board back into the metal chassis and place your fans back in followed by your fan shroud then your DVD Drive (ensuring you plug it back in).
19.jpg
17.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
Step 19 : Flip your console over again and put all your small screws back in.
9.jpg
Step 20 : Now you can put your RF Board back in and screw it in Ensure the white cap goes "Arrows Up!".
13.jpg
12.jpg

Step 21 : Now place your upper case back on. (make sure you have put your "Eject Button" back in place).
10.jpg
Step 22 : Now flip your console over, put your big screws in and tighten them up.
81.jpg
Step 23 : Place the other side to the case on and clip it into place. Then you can place your plastic silver vents back on the top and bottom then your face plate.
7.jpg
5.jpg
Step 24 : Plug your console in and enjoy it once again.
A video Tut is on its way
I am not responsable for any damage you may encure

W3LSH

W3LSH

PC Gaming
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Is this copy and pasted? and you from wales? if so where in wales?

xMoDzDai

xMoDzDai

Reaction score
Sin$
Yes this is copy and paste of my thread from TTG, as I thought I should share it here too.

I have quite a few posts that will be making an appearance here :wink:

I`m from Pembrokesire. :wink:

THE QBN BEAST

THE QBN BEAST

Engineering the Future
Mr. Nice Guy Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I liked all the pictures they really give allot of help.:biggrin:

I Purple I

I Purple I

Se7en Swag
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah this is a really bad way for fixing the red rings. It may be cheap, but it only lead to worse problems down the road. Also, a hairdryer wouldn't be effective at all considering the temps even needed for a decent reflow. Using heatgun doesn't distribute the hot air evenly and you don't even use a griddle or preheater which can damage the board even more by just hitting it with 450 degree temps off the bat. Bad method.

Top Bottom
Login
Register