Solved Alternate to Hotswapping / flashing

• Thread starter Fworg64
  • Start date
  • Views 3,570
F

Fworg64

Reaction score
Sin$
As I was Looking into ISO modding I became Disipointed that i wold have to violate my Xbox's Personal space and privacy.
I Was wondering would it be possible to instead of hot swap and install the game if you could instead download the actual game to your HDD from your xbox.

Open up your HDD w/ Xport or Xplorer

And then replace the installed game with the modded one?

because isnt that almost what your doing when you hot swap?

As i looked into this possibility i belive that i discoverd that the installed game is actually a .data file composed of 41 little files no bigger then 170.46mb big.

Which also raises the question: could you not just replace the modded .data pieces? <_<

And are those .data peices maybe the same files contained in the .iso? <_<

Could This be a break Through in the way of modding? <_<

If Some one wanted to look through the files w/ a hex editor and play around w/ compression and decompression feel free :tongue:

I'll look more into this tommorrow. Cause its 1am right now

BTW:: if im right i want credit Ill call it "cold swapping":biggrin:

F

Fworg64

Reaction score
Sin$
BREAK THROUGH ::
You know how in GRINSPANKER13's tut yo have to deleate the first 12 bytes of the one file?

This Tut 5th step (not mine)

well i found those same 12 bytes in the file Data0000

Could it be that thats the same file as on the iso?
those bytes are at offset 0x3000 though ???

And it seemes that all the stuff before that is just microsoft whining...

Theres evan a bunch of 00's p[adding it from 0x2000 to 0x3000

What would happen if we Just copied what the extent of the code_post_gfx.ff file would be,
edited it, and stuck it back?

would you have to also pull the default.xex file out too?

Ill try some stuff and see what happens :biggrin:

EDIT:: I found out that those twelve bytes are in every file (the first 11 anyway, i got bored)
Im gonna do some more searchin to see if i can find which file has the file in it.

F

Fworg64

Reaction score
Sin$
Well I coulndt find the code_post_gfx.ff in there

i looked around by searching for 5 bytes of it in the 41 .data subfiles. <_<

could it be that the subfiles are compressed some way?
but then a gain they still have those 12 bytes that code_post_gfx.ff has ???

and if they are specially compressed how would we know how they are?

Ill try and find some files and play around w/ them

well i coulndt find the code_post_gfx.ff file in the .data subfiles

i looked for five bytes of it in every file

Could it be that they are compressed somehow?

Ive already figured that each .data subfile can only be so big so the actaul files must be spilit amongst them...

If they are compressed how would we know what way?

ill try to find soem actual files and play around w/ compression :biggrin:

SupremeCippy

SupremeCippy

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
console id= KV . To get your KV you have to do the Jtag hack. You can not do the jtag hack on dash 8xxx+. That why I said try saving a retail cod5 and using the .data file from that.

Just do a hotswap and save loads of time.
thank god ther are some smart people out ther.

i believe it requires ur cpu key, which still means u needed to have ur xbox jtaged.

ProjectEchoMods

ProjectEchoMods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I thought about this awhile ago.. It might work, I mean you would have to figure out if there are different numbers of files, or the files are different on 2 different installs on the same xbox same disk..
Then you would have to see if the files are 100% the same.
Then do it on another xbox and see the differences....
Figure out what those diffs are, and change them to match your from someone who installed a modded copy to their HDD.
Also, if you didn't know, you can hotswap without opening your xbox if you have a BenQ DVD Drive.

F

Fworg64

Reaction score
Sin$
I have Strong reason to believe i have located the outro_load.bik file (not that thats much help but still its something)

For those that care its located in .data subfiles Data0000 thru Data0001
begining at Data0000:0x2A05000
ending at Data0001:0x4F91FAC

the size matches within 1mb (pretty good i think for just useing a hex editor)
the fisrt part matches flawlessly
all random checks passed
If any one wants to look for more files feel free *cough* *cough*

All i really want to find is the code_post_gfx.ff file

EDIT:: if you open the .iso w/ wx360 and order them ny sector i think thats the order in the .data subfiles they will be in.

Ill try to make a list

EDIT:: WTF?!? it looks like wx360 orders numbers such as sector or size ALPHABETICLY?!?!
ex. 234 would come after 228904750 and that would come after 21

maybe its just my fault for assuming that you would order integer values least to greatest... NOT ALPHA-FREAKIN-BETAFICLY

F

Fworg64

Reaction score
Sin$
UPDATE:: well as i trudged through all 41 files hex editor in hand i managed to fined that in .data subfile Data0020 at offset 0x8EFD000 i can match the first 18 bytes to the code_post_gfx.ff file :lol:

upon further speculation this may just be the mp varient of the file im looking for, and that mine would be direcly after.

ok good news now about an hour after i started this post (kinda just using as a journal)
i Found the common.ff file which according to my alphabetaccly sorted sector numbers should come almost if not directly in front of the glorified code_post_gfx.ff

common.ff:: Data0020
begins at :0x72FD800
ends at :0x8EFCB5F

code_post_gfx.ff should be very near... I can smell it

F

Fworg64

Reaction score
Sin$
ok now i have found the default.xex file so code_poste_gfx.ff must be EXTREAMELY CLOSE 'cause the sector for code_poste_gfx.ff is right between common.ff and default.xex

Default.xex:: Data0020
begins at :0x904B000
ends at :0x959EFFF

therefore code_poste_gfx.ff must be between 0x8EFCB50 and 0x904B000

Which leads me back to 0x8EFD000

Which is the spot that almost matches???

It Would Be The spot Though???

Which goes back to what if its just compressed differently???

EDIT ::Ive tried playing around w/ the compression but to no avail...
howeverit is the only file according to th eiso that i have that would match but why is it the only different one when all the others match up perfectly...

help anyone?

amundsonk

amundsenthrash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
might work but once i tried to get my mw2 to work by installing it on my hd so i went to his house and installed came back anf said needs to be installed on the xbox its downloaded to to work

F

Fworg64

Reaction score
Sin$
Ok well now that ive slepped for a while,

Later today ill see if i can match the file at 0x8EFD000 (Data0020) with any other file from the .iso

even though code_post_gfx.ff is the only logical answer bieng as how the size matches and the sector makes sense.

someone should try to decompress code_post_gfx.ff and see what i looks like... if not i will this afternoon

^^ that wouldnt make much sense though sense common.ff didn't need decompressed to match...

I'll try it any way though (later today)

F

Fworg64

Reaction score
Sin$
Ok after plenty of thought i would hink that it is in fac the same file just ported for the xbox 360's archatecture so if any one wants to help me make a converter that would be sweet...

Id prefer if you had some programming experiance 'cause i only have a decent amount in C++

Soo.. ya pm me or email me ifn your interested

halopro77

halopro77

The Wombologist
Platinum Record Frame In Gold Bright Idea
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry to rain on your parade, but have any of you guys tried to play modded cod 5 on a hdd on another xbox? It states that this game can only be started on the original console and memory unit which was it installed too. Thus concluding that when you install a game to a hard-drive, it takes some offset from xbox and puts it on the game. If the games offset is different than the xboxs, it will not work. If you want cold swapping to really work, you would need that certain data that is matched from your console onto the modded games.

C

ColdEmbrace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry to rain on your parade, but have any of you guys tried to play modded cod 5 on a hdd on another xbox? It states that this game can only be started on the original console and memory unit which was it installed too. Thus concluding that when you install a game to a hard-drive, it takes some offset from xbox and puts it on the game. If the games offset is different than the xboxs, it will not work. If you want cold swapping to really work, you would need that certain data that is matched from your console onto the modded games.

Our discussion is about swapping files not the whole thing im sure if it was all decompressed then the files switched and recompressed it would keep the same Console ID and we will be fine

ProjectEchoMods

ProjectEchoMods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Our discussion is about swapping files not the whole thing im sure if it was all decompressed then the files switched and recompressed it would keep the same Console ID and we will be fine
I don't understand.
Why don't you guys get someone's whos is modded, and just figure out where the console ID is, and swap
Or, if You just replace some of the data folders, as the id is probably in one :wink:

P

Press Y For Pie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
console id= KV . To get your KV you have to do the Jtag hack. You can not do the jtag hack on dash 8xxx+. That why I said try saving a retail cod5 and using the .data file from that.

Just do a hotswap and save loads of time.
Wrong, You can get your kv from your console even with 9199 dash, you just cant get the keys for everythink, So Shh. :biggrin:

i belive im right

Top Bottom
Login
Register