What's new

Question Having problems with my xbox 360 slim

Cakeroar

Cakeroar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello i've been thinking about fixing my own xbox 360 slim, basically the problem with it is that it got water damaged. The power button and eject button no longer works and i want to know if i can replace the faceplate or if somebody could teach me how to?

Caboose

Caboose

☣ CabooseSayzWTF ☣
Premium
Hidden Devils
Modder Frame In Gold Pumpking
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello i've been thinking about fixing my own xbox 360 slim, basically the problem with it is that it got water damaged. The power button and eject button no longer works and i want to know if i can replace the faceplate or if somebody could teach me how to?
Does the console even power on by controller. If the answer is no, replacing the faceplate won't fix your issue. More than likely the console is dead in short. However if the console does power on, read games etc then the next question is do the green leds even show up for controller connected and so on and so forth, if the answer is no, then you will probably have to replace the rf board and possibly the faceplate assuming it somehow ruined the flex cables for the faceplate. But in the long run if the console doesnt even power on, then we will have to have pics of the motherboard, the rf board, so on and so forth to make a judgment call. Here's to hoping your console even turns on despite the water damage, because if not then your console is likely dead and you can just buy a new slim for like 50-75$ on ebay.

Cakeroar

Cakeroar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Does the console even power on by controller. If the answer is no, replacing the faceplate won't fix your issue. More than likely the console is dead in short. However if the console does power on, read games etc then the next question is do the green leds even show up for controller connected and so on and so forth, if the answer is no, then you will probably have to replace the rf board and possibly the faceplate assuming it somehow ruined the flex cables for the faceplate. But in the long run if the console doesnt even power on, then we will have to have pics of the motherboard, the rf board, so on and so forth to make a judgment call. Here's to hoping your console even turns on despite the water damage, because if not then your console is likely dead and you can just buy a new slim for like 50-75$ on ebay.

Yes the console works just fine, its just that i have to turn on the controller to power the console and open the disk tray. yes the led works on the power button its just that both buttons do not function.

Caboose

Caboose

☣ CabooseSayzWTF ☣
Premium
Hidden Devils
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes the console works just fine, its just that i have to turn on the controller to power the console and open the disk tray. yes the led works on the power button its just that both buttons do not function.
Then I suggest taking the console apart and unplugging the faceplate from the RF board, and cleaning any water or residue left from the water on the leads of the flex cable the faceplate has, then i suggest cleaning out the port the flex cable plugs into on the rf board. If that doesnt fix your issue then you can 1. Buy a new faceplate and plug it up and see if it works. 2. Buy a new rf board and test the old faceplate, if that doesnt work then you will need a new faceplate and rf board. But to save money you can just use a ohm meter and test the pins on the port the faceplate plugs into to see if you even get a reading. If you don't have a ohm meter or know how to use one, just buy a new rf board and faceplate, and it should fix your issue.

Cakeroar

Cakeroar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Then I suggest taking the console apart and unplugging the faceplate from the RF board, and cleaning any water or residue left from the water on the leads of the flex cable the faceplate has, then i suggest cleaning out the port the flex cable plugs into on the rf board. If that doesnt fix your issue then you can 1. Buy a new faceplate and plug it up and see if it works. 2. Buy a new rf board and test the old faceplate, if that doesnt work then you will need a new faceplate and rf board. But to save money you can just use a ohm meter and test the pins on the port the faceplate plugs into to see if you even get a reading. If you don't have a ohm meter or know how to use one, just buy a new rf board and faceplate, and it should fix your issue.

this water damage happened years ago when i was younger lol so i most likely might have to replace both

Cakeroar

Cakeroar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
btw, do you think i would have to replace the ribbon cable or the whole actual faceplate?

Caboose

Caboose

☣ CabooseSayzWTF ☣
Premium
Hidden Devils
Reaction score
Sin$
btw, do you think i would have to replace the ribbon cable or the whole actual faceplate?
It's easier to just replace the whole thing, considering the whole faceplate is just plastic and that cable, and that's it. Not really worth the effort to peel the cable off and replace it.

Top Bottom
Login
Register