What's new

Solved PS4 slim having issues with 5ghz.

• Thread starter Jaykae
  • Start date
  • Views 14,401
Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
EDIT:

So, my ISP is Virgin Media in the UK and I'm using the SuperHub3 and every time I try and connect to the 5ghz wireless network, it connects but will NOT give me a valid IP thus I can't use any Internet functions or use the PSN.

Anyway, after Googling a lot I found out it's something to do with my 5ghz width. if it's set to 20/40/80 - it doesn't give me an IP. if it's set to 20mhz only, it gives an IP and the Internet is usable.

So I thought I'd try with an old router and setting the 5ghz width to 20/40 (it's an old router, doesn't have the 80mhz) and it works perfectly fine.

So I'm guessing my Virgin Media SH3 doesn't like my PS4. I have a PS4 Slim, and two PS4 Pro's, they're all the same. However, if I use my XB1S (I have two of them too) I can connect fine and have no issues with getting an IP.

I've tried resetting my router, factory resetting, rebooting. everything you could think of, I have tried.

It's NOT a Wi-Fi range problem as I can CONNECT it just doesn't give me an IP making the connection useless.

Anyone else getting this or know of a way to fix it without buying more hardware?
Should I leave it on 20mhz? will the speed be affected?

Cheers.

EDIT 1: I have also tried changing the HDD and re-installing the PS OS and it's exactly the same. I'm on the latest available version that is 6.72.

EDIT 2: My router and PS4 are in the same room, moving them closer to each other does nothing. still get the same problem.

Last edited:
Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Reaction score
Sin$
So, I booted my PS4 SLIM with my router (I'm with Virgin In the UK) in modem mode with a WNDR3800 wireless router and the "width" was set to 20/40 -- I could see 5ghz just fine, signal was great; couldn't get an IP when I tried to connect.

Stopped using the WNDR3800 and using my ISP's router and set to 20mhz and again, signal was great and could connect fine.
As soon as it's switched to 20/40/80mhz -- boom; doesn't give me an IP but the signal is great.

After searching for hours and hours, others are having the same issue. no "fix" so to speak except changing the width.

Ugh. :frown: :cry:

FYI: My two PS4 Pro's have no issue with any setting with the width -- it's just my PS4 SLIM.

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Reaction score
Sin$
For all you smartasses out there... this isn't a signal problem. I see the 5ghz fine and it connects fine with 20mhz. it's when I change the problems start.
Obviously no one wants to help.

Sigh...

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Reaction score
Sin$
Back to it and this time (touches wood!) I think I sorted it with the power of Reddit! :biggrin: :woot:

I setup with my normal wireless connection (2.4ghz) then setup custom > dns to my Google's DNS. forgot that network, updated to 7.0.
Tried to connect to 5ghz, done. set it up custom > static IP > Google's DNS then made sure ALL the PSN ports were forwarded and it's working fine!

Signal strength is the same as before (I knew that wasn't the problem :roflmao:) but now the "speed" test via settings is a lot faster; like a lot!

Happy days.

Top Bottom
Login
Register