• Thread starter Shenmue
  • Start date
  • Views 18,508
Shenmue

Shenmue

Pwahh JD & Coke <3
Reaction score
Sin$
So whats the best type of RGH to get, Out of curiosity.

MedicatingFTW

MedicatingFTW

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
For phats, Jasper is the best model/motherboard you can get. For slims, I'm pretty sure all of them except for Winchester (could be wrong on the spelling) models/motherboards.

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
For phats, Jasper is the best model/motherboard you can get. For slims, I'm pretty sure all of them except for Winchester (could be wrong on the spelling) models/motherboards.

Falcons, at least in my experience, have had better performance than Jasper. While a Jasper will have a slightly reduced RRoD chance, falcons tend to have better boot times (With RGH 1.2 they both have excellent performance TBH). I would avoid the Xenon, Zephyr, and Opus motherboards as far as an RGH goes. They tend to have terribly inconsistent boot times and are time bombs as far as a RRoD is concerned.

For slims, at least to my knowledge, the motherboard doesn't matter to much as far as performance is concerned. I would avoid a 4gb nand corona, but that is just because they are more difficult to write the NAND to should you need to fix a brick on the console.

As far as what type of RGH..

1 and 1.2
Both have similar performance. I have one of each, and they both instantly boot. However, my RGH 1 freezes on startup occasionally. I have not had this issue with my 1.2 at all, granted each console is different and my RGH 1 has an old matrix.

RGH 2
While I do not own one of these, they all tent to have MUCH longer boot times. I believe you can get good boot tine out of one, but you should pickup an RGH 1.2 over a 2.

S-RGH and muffin.
These are your slim consoles alternative to the RGH 1.2. If you want a slim console, this us the route to go.

F

felida

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Falcons, at least in my experience, have had better performance than Jasper. While a Jasper will have a slightly reduced RRoD chance, falcons tend to have better boot times (With RGH 1.2 they both have excellent performance TBH). I would avoid the Xenon, Zephyr, and Opus motherboards as far as an RGH goes. They tend to have terribly inconsistent boot times and are time bombs as far as a RRoD is concerned.

For slims, at least to my knowledge, the motherboard doesn't matter to much as far as performance is concerned. I would avoid a 4gb nand corona, but that is just because they are more difficult to write the NAND to should you need to fix a brick on the console.

As far as what type of RGH..

1 and 1.2
Both have similar performance. I have one of each, and they both instantly boot. However, my RGH 1 freezes on startup occasionally. I have not had this issue with my 1.2 at all, granted each console is different and my RGH 1 has an old matrix.

RGH 2
While I do not own one of these, they all tent to have MUCH longer boot times. I believe you can get good boot tine out of one, but you should pickup an RGH 1.2 over a 2.

S-RGH and muffin.
These are your slim consoles alternative to the RGH 1.2. If you want a slim console, this us the route to go.

yeah.. get you a clone rev c.. old matrix might be causing the issue.. lol.. rgh 1 on older phats are instant anyway..
and as far as the motherboard, you cant really say this is better than that.. because people treat their stuff differently.. recently came upon a thread that had a sealed xenon.. that new console wont red-ring any time soon.. lmao..

RGH 2 is extremely finiky.. lmao.. i've had some instaboot everytime, and some take eternity to even boot.. the console REALLY depends, due to variance on things..

i've done all the methods, save muffin..
1.2 is instaboot on my falcon
s-rgh is still not instant boot on my trinity, but still was faster than my cr4, weirdly.. lmao..
and muffin doesn't work all the time either from reports i've seen.

so yeah i agree, the "cheapest" method ironically is the best method.. bless 15432 for his work!!

BlueSn00w

BlueSn00w

RGH/JTAG Seller
Reaction score
Sin$
Any stubborn jaspers I just try rjtop. It usually helps on jaspers and falcons.

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
yeah.. get you a clone rev c.. old matrix might be causing the issue.. lol.. rgh 1 on older phats are instant anyway..
and as far as the motherboard, you cant really say this is better than that.. because people treat their stuff differently.. recently came upon a thread that had a sealed xenon.. that new console wont red-ring any time soon.. lmao..

RGH 2 is extremely finiky.. lmao.. i've had some instaboot everytime, and some take eternity to even boot.. the console REALLY depends, due to variance on things..

i've done all the methods, save muffin..
1.2 is instaboot on my falcon
s-rgh is still not instant boot on my trinity, but still was faster than my cr4, weirdly.. lmao..
and muffin doesn't work all the time either from reports i've seen.

so yeah i agree, the "cheapest" method ironically is the best method.. bless 15432 for his work!!
Yeah, I didn't install the old matrix. That was a console I bought a LONG time ago before I got into installing the mods myself. My other instaboot is actually a clone rev c and demon install that I did myself.

Yes, if you take care of a xenon and clean it regularly it SHOULD last a good while. However the reason I would avoid them is the HIGH RRoD chance, yes, but also the rgh mod on those consoles have a tendency to be inconsistent and have terrible boot times. A good installer can get tolerable boot times with them, and I am sure maybe even the occasional instaboot. It just doesn't seem worth the risk IMO.

Phat, get a Falcon or Jasper (Easiest to find anyway) and anybslim should do. Just remember the 4GB corona needs to SD card nand method and therefore is more of a pain.

Last edited:
F

felida

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, I didn't install the old matrix. That was a console I bought a LONG time ago before I got into installing the mods myself. My other instaboot is actually a clone rev c and demon install that I did myself.

Yes, if you take care of a xenon and clean it regularly it SHOULD last a good while. However the reason I would avoid them is the HIGH RRoD chance, yes, but also the rgh mod on those consoles have a tendency to be inconsistent and have terrible boot times. A good installer can get tolerable boot times with them, and I am sure maybe even the occasional instaboot. It just doesn't seem worth the risk IMO.

Phat, get a Falcon or Jasper (Easiest to find anyway) and anybslim should do. Just remember the 4GB corona needs to SD card nand method and therefore is more of a pain.
https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/xenon-rgh1-2-freeboot-tutorial.1548848/

lol.. i get what you were saying though.. but at the same time, you will take what you can get.. lol.. if the price is good enough..

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Mythical Veteran Trifecta TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Just as a preference, I’d say Jasper. However, my Trinity has run just as well.

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Original cool runner on the Falcon V2:what:

I have a REV C in a Falcon, couldn't be happier. Insta-boots 99/100 times and only takes 2 cycles the 100th.

Just as a preference, I’d say Jasper. However, my Trinity has run just as well.
Falcon, Jasper, Trinity, Corona. All good options. I have a love for Falcons, which get ignored sadly...

SAMPS0N

SAMPS0N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have a REV C in a Falcon, couldn't be happier. Insta-boots 99/100 times and only takes 2 cycles the 100th.

Falcon, Jasper, Trinity, Corona. All good options. I have a love for Falcons, which get ignored sadly...
Yeah my console has stood the test of time in my opinion. nearly 8 years glitched. Close to 1300 days on the same kv on ninja too.

RetroModz

RetroModz

Reaction score
Sin$
I just did a S-RGH Trinity on mine and my unit boots less than 3 sec using ACEv3 chip

Metal

Metal

Take This Life
Hidden Devils
Grizzled Veteran Grammar Nazi Gifter
Reaction score
Sin$
Any console is good if you take care of it. Slim's have better chance of no RROD. But usually have longer boot times. Every console is different. Not every Trinity will have the same boots. Same for falcons, Jasper's, Coronas, etc. So going by how yours buddies boots doesn't mean yours will bottom the same. When I was modding consoles a few years ago, it didn't matter which console it was, never took longer than 30 seconds to boot. Wire routing can do alot. As well as the use of resistors and whatnot. My first ever Xenon console that I RGH'd 4 years ago still runs and boots faster than my Falcon JTAG. You can't always go off everyone else's experiences.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Always had a Trinity RGH2 and they have all had inconsistent boot times, sometimes instant, others 2 minutes and above.

I've also made some Falcon and Jasper RGH 2 and they have all been in the region of a minute, using Coolrunner Rev c clones.

Best phat ones are definitely Jasper for long motherboard life but Falcon hit and miss for booting. I have always found RGH2 to be very inconsistent regardless of how you route wires and what timing files are used.

If you can get a Demon chip or a CR4 then use the timing trainer to get best boot times, that tool was an absolute god send and can get almost any console to instaboot!

Metal

Metal

Take This Life
Hidden Devils
Grizzled Veteran Grammar Nazi Gifter
Reaction score
Sin$
Always had a Trinity RGH2 and they have all had inconsistent boot times, sometimes instant, others 2 minutes and above.

I've also made some Falcon and Jasper RGH 2 and they have all been in the region of a minute, using Coolrunner Rev c clones.

Best phat ones are definitely Jasper for long motherboard life but Falcon hit and miss for booting. I have always found RGH2 to be very inconsistent regardless of how you route wires and what timing files are used.

If you can get a Demon chip or a CR4 then use the timing trainer to get best boot times, that tool was an absolute god send and can get almost any console to instaboot!
A demon by far doesn't help boot times. By default most people will install a Demon and CR4 RGH2 PHAT and achieve slower boot times than Demon/RGH 1.2. If someone couldn't achieve instant boot with RGH2 on a PHAT I would move right to RGH1.2 timing files and wiring. In most cases I have found the CR4 to be more unreliable than ANY other chip. Of anything, the only thing a CR4 is good for is a noob to mess with dip settings to achieve best boot times with dip switches instead of using capacitors. Demon + RGH1.2 on PHATS = YESssssSsssSsSSSS!

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
A demon by far doesn't help boot times. By default most people will install a Demon and CR4 RGH2 PHAT and achieve slower boot times than Demon/RGH 1.2. If someone couldn't achieve instant boot with RGH2 on a PHAT I would move right to RGH1.2 timing files and wiring. In most cases I have found the CR4 to be more unreliable than ANY other chip. Of anything, the only thing a CR4 is good for is a noob to mess with dip settings to achieve best boot times with dip switches instead of using capacitors. Demon + RGH1.2 on PHATS = YESssssSsssSsSSSS!
Have you not seen the tuner though? It uses a jr programmer v2 and uses the debug out pin to measure exact boot times and exactly when in the timing your console is likely to boot, then creates a custom timing file for it and flashes for you. Instant boot or 2 glitches max is what it aims for and if cant get that far it tells you.

P

pulsemod

Reaction score
Sin$
I have a Jasper console running a dash version compatible with RGH1. Is it still possible to buy hardware used for RGH1? It seems like the hardware and resources available these days are all for RGH 1.2 or 2, and I'd prefer to do the "best" type if possible. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Top Bottom
Login
Register