• Thread starter Shenmue
  • Start date
  • Views 6,134
Shenmue

Shenmue

Pwahh JD & Coke <3
Reaction score
Sin$
Soooo i was digging through some old stuff and i found my original xbox and my modded xbox 360, I turned the xbox on and all seems to boot well (Cant say for certain 100% as iv no visual cable) but everything powered on there was no flashing lights nothing just the gold old green light lit up.

Is it worth modding it if so should i mod it Soft or Hard ?

Cynder

Cynder

Local Weird Guy
AzzidReign Jr Mythical Veteran Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I would say its deffinatly still worth it to mod an Xbox in 2019. The Xbox is a great emulator box with things like MAME. Soft modding would be the best way currently to mod it, as hard mods are difficult to come by and don't do much different than a softmod.

Vegeta

Vegeta

宇宙のマスター
Super Moderators
VIP
MotM Trifecta Diamonds Are Forever
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I think its cool, playing all those retro Xbox games sounds like a perfect way to spend a weekend.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
softmod, and get or make component cable.

OG xbox is cool, even in 2019.

Tony hawk 720p, Mortal kombat: armaggedon 720p, scarface 720p, there is a handful of good 720p games. Some console exclusives like time splitters benefit xbox hardware.

Other benefit is sound, xbox can produce 3D sound effects, on PC you had to have EAX compatible hardware. Makes games more immerse in sound.

You can also admire power of xbox by playing heavyweight PC games like Doom3, Half-Life 2.

You can also play games with full effects like GTA vice city, that lack on PC versions. There are many games like this, that miss some cool effects on PC version.

Return To Castle wolfenstein, COOP splitscreen. Many amazing single player splitscreen games.

Shenmue

Shenmue

Pwahh JD & Coke <3
Reaction score
Sin$
Can you get xbox HDMI cables or no ? Id love to stream from my older console but iv only a newer elgato :frown:

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Mythical Veteran Trifecta TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Can you get xbox HDMI cables or no ? Id love to stream from my older console but iv only a newer elgato :frown:
Pretty sure they make cables that have a female RCA that leads to an HDMI. It won’t upgrade the resolution AFAIK though.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cynder

Cynder

Local Weird Guy
AzzidReign Jr Mythical Veteran Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hyperkin and Pound both make HDMI cables for the xbox, It does have a few color quality issues but overall it is a great item to get if you want to stream or record on one.

Harry

Harry

Dope
Programmer Mythical Veteran Journalist
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
It's always worth it for you, forget what other people think and do what you want! If you want to mod your XBOX you do it... although everyone seems to agree :roflmao:

You should definitely soft mod it

Shenmue

Shenmue

Pwahh JD & Coke <3
Reaction score
Sin$
What would you all recommend for the firmware i use for the xbox ?

HYX

HYX

Administrator
Administrator
Lifetime
Hidden Devils
Scaling the Mountain Programmer Odysseus' Summit
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I softmodded my 1.6 since I can't TSOP mod it and I use it from time to time to play some of my favorite games like Halo 2 and Stubbs the Zombie. You could definitely find worth in a softmodded system even after all these years.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, it is!
You can pick up a cheap Aladdin chip from Ebay if you want to soft mod it and those contain the EVO-X Bios. You can also TSOP or Softmod the xbox, though i'd recommend Hard modding to keep the OG bios, you can then install it so if you boot using the eject, you boot to standard :smile:

I recommend installing a bigger hard drive and installing Unleash-X Dash, and then installing XBMC and CoinOPS so you have the entire emulation front covered, these make great emulation machines, all the way up to PS1.

System link with x-Link Kai is still a thing too! plenty of Halo 2 lobbies for old school gaming :tongue: (There's even a discord, I can invite you if you want!)

Unbound 7s

Unbound 7s

0x50676f573
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I have several that I just bought and hardmodded with the Xecutuer mod chips (Solderless). I only say go with hard mod because changing out HDD's is a lot easier (from my experience) and running an OG Xbox with 2TB HDD's and the 80-wire IDE cable is awesome with load speeds etc. Also installing the extra 64MB RAM chips makes game smoother as well especially with emulation though this process is a lot harder than most console mods. Long story short yes you should definitely look into modding it!

Stoner

Stoner

THC is a natural medicine
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah it's worth it I've recently just had mine done :biggrin:

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, it is!
You can pick up a cheap Aladdin chip from Ebay if you want to soft mod it and those contain the EVO-X Bios. You can also TSOP or Softmod the xbox, though i'd recommend Hard modding to keep the OG bios, you can then install it so if you boot using the eject, you boot to standard :smile:

I recommend installing a bigger hard drive and installing Unleash-X Dash, and then installing XBMC and CoinOPS so you have the entire emulation front covered, these make great emulation machines, all the way up to PS1.

System link with x-Link Kai is still a thing too! plenty of Halo 2 lobbies for old school gaming :tongue: (There's even a discord, I can invite you if you want!)

I recently bought a modded xbox on etsy and this is exactly what was done with it. It's a v1.6 console with the aladdin chip and a 2tb hdd. I only chose a couple of the coinops emulators since I wanted most of the console to be packed with original xbox games.

S

schitzotm

Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh the original xbox and the first halo. All the lan parties thrown. much easier times.
Those were the days.

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Grab a cheap chinese componant original Xbox video cable from Ebay and also an Xbox 360 componant cable (the one with the coloured cable ends,green,blue,yellow,white and 2 reds) and look on Youtube for the tuturial on converting that 360 cable to work on the original Xbox.If your ok with soldering a few wires,then this will give you a picture quality on par with HDMI.
If your set on trying to connect your Xbox to your tv's HDMI,then there are a few groups over on Facebook that there are still modders out there that will knock you up such a cable/box (WiiHDMI is what they use for this)

Top Bottom
Login
Register