What's new

Question Is it worth an upgrade (CPU & GPU)

• Thread starter K3LL0GSkid
  • Start date
  • Views 909
K

K3LL0GSkid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vmXrFPOxA
Legendary Veteran Mythical Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
So I haven't done any sort of computer upgrade in a few years and figured with prices dropping on GPUs and new processors coming out maybe it's time to get fancy. Right now I have an i5-4690k and a 980ti Classified. My question is it worth getting a second 980ti for around $300 to SLI or should I just get a 2080 or whatever is most current? Also is it any better if I switch to Ryzen or should I stick with what I have? Habofro Habofro I know you know your way around a PC.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
SLI is not supported very well at all. Its not nearly as refined as Crossfire on the red side. Nvidia seems to actually be trying to kill SLI all together some reason.

Your CPU is going to be your biggest problem not your GPU. I would wait until summer when Ryzen 3000 series CPU's come out upgrade to a new Ryzen chip then in future when you can no longer run games well sell your GPU and buy a new one.

The 2000 series GPU's so far have been pretty much a meme

RTX is fake and gay its never going to be viable on current gen cards.
DLSS is worse than decades old upscaling techniques. It only works in benchmarks that render exact same image every single time. It can never work in real games.

Unless you are one of the few people who needs Tensor cores for machine learning 2000 series GPU's are not very appealing. And AMD has not released anything competing to anything above the 2080 until navi drops.

Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm running a very similar setup to yours in term of power
  • i5-3570k @5.2GHz
  • RX580 8GB
  • 16GB of RAM
Really my current bottleneck is my CPU and RAM.
I'd recommend you try to overclock your CPU as much as possible and see if you get any good result from it. If not, just sell your rig and get a new i5-9600k but as for the GPU, honestly I'm not too sure, the new RTX GPUs are pretty much pointless as of right now and the offerings from AMD are pretty outdated as of right now. Maybe hold on to what you have till new GPUs are out

Risingfamous

Risingfamous

Reaction score
Sin$
Like most others have said, I'd put your money and efforts into acquiring a new CPU. I'm currently gaming with an i5 6600K and 980ti. I'm definitely wishing I would've gone with the i7. I have a hard time imagining you'd see much improvement upgrading to a new GPU given that your CPU would surely bottleneck your system.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
No.

why buy new gpu whene there is no good games worth buying gpu.

Metro exodus is a fakin boring game. Other RTX games also sux.

Remember physx, how many games uses physx xD IT's been 14 years. Implementation is so minimal.

Last edited:
Noumenon

Noumenon

Seasoned Member
Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Your 4690k should be able to hold you over until Zen 2 (Ryzen 3) comes out in a few months. It's on 7nm instead of 12 or 14 nm like with Zen 1 and Zen 2 frequencies are supposed to be quite a bit better than Zen 1 since it's no longer on the 12/14 nm LPP (low power process, beneficial for lower clock processors like for servers). One of the mid range Zen 2 parts gives nearly the exact same performance as a 9900k and will obviously be much more reasonable in price since that's AMD's M.O...
AMD's modular design for Zen allows for far better yields than Intel's monolithic designs, which decreases costs while allowing for increases in core counts. You'll probably be able to get a 12 or 16 core CPU for about the same price as what you'd pay now for an 8 core CPU.

And I agree that multi GPU setups aren't really practical as things are right now. I don't think I'd ever opt for using multiple cards with how many issues people have with SLI and crossfire. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd buy a video card now. IIRC Navi will be coming out sometime this year but who knows how that'll go with how underwhelming Vega was. Radeon VII is comparable to the RTX 2080 but you'll probably have trouble finding one for a decent price. I'd check reddit here and there to see if there's any good deals on anything.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

Reaction score
Sin$
It depends entirely on what you use your system for. Also what monitor(s) you're using is important information.

Your CPU absolutely without a doubt, is not a bottleneck if you're using your system to game at 4k.

C

cmos

Reaction score
Sin$
RT and DLSS isn't relevant, but Nvidia's new NVENC encoder is very good and the 20 series cards make better use of it than 10 (or earlier) series cards. The RTX 2060 is good value but anything over the 2070 is a complete waste of money. You can find 1080's going for sale on Amazon for 350, wait a few months and have a look around, you'll grab a good deal over the coming months.

L

LawlessBaron

A myth
Retired
Legendary Veteran Programmer Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
I have the GTX1080 TI OC and it goes fine so maybe look at one of those?

Top Bottom
Login
Register