Laptop or gaming pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kyled12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't have much space but I could find somewhere to put a desk for a desktop.
I dont have as much time to game anymore, probably 1-2 hours a day. I wanna play games like battlefield, cod, Forza, Minecraft. I know i can play these on Xbox but I want a computer.

So what would be the best fit for me, a gaming computer or a laptop?

What's some good gaming laptops around 1000? Could maybe spend a bit more but prefer not to spend a bunch.

Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd still recommend getting a desktop, gaming laptops are still way too expensive for what you're getting. Here's what I would recommend: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/66k6f8

The computer itself is pretty damn slim and will fit everything you'd need.

I'd normally recommend getting at least a mini-ATX PC but since you're low on space, mini-ITX might be a good idea.

I'd usually recommend getting the RX580 8GB but since every single one of them are bought by bitcoin/etherium miners, they're always out of stock and are too expensive for their performance. The GTX 1060 6GB is still a good card regardless and will be able to run any game you throw at it with ease.

K

kyled12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Will I be able to play things like battlefield on decent quality settings with this? If I have to spend a bit more for a better gaming pc I probabky would. If I'm building a pc I want to build something that will last for a while.

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
Will I be able to play things like battlefield on decent quality settings with this? If I have to spend a bit more for a better gaming pc I probabky would. If I'm building a pc I want to build something that will last for a while.

you're playing bf1 with ultra settings at 60fps with that build

problem is that you're not getting that gpu for that price right now. i just spent 300 on a 3gb version.
bit coin miners are buying all of the gpus right now, so all of the prices are inflated.

HumphreyMax

HumphreyMax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Get the desktop, its much more up-gradable and fixable than a laptop and at a cheaper price. Gaming laptops are garbage for the most part since they are lacking almost a year after you buy them. While desktops can hold a lot more horsepower for cheaper. While its true you can get a gaming laptop with a desktop video card, those things cost a crap ton and you could have built a desktop for that price that will last you 5 years.

With all of this being said, 1-2 hours of gaming without a care for how good the graphics are, a cheap gaming desktop would be a good choice. 600-800 dollars can get you a decent rig to fulfill your needs while still having a computer to do other things on. If mobility is a concern, then you might want to consider a laptop but I'm not sure who does LAN parties anymore since everything is so easy to do online these days.

The last computer before this one I built in 2011 and it lasted me all the way through 2015 before I decided I wanted something else. This latest rig I built in May and I have plans to keep it through 2020 and just upgrade the video card as needed. You don't have to build your own rig though, you can still get one prebuilt from computer oriented stores that are online only like Newegg and get killer deals on clearance and sales.

Aydind

Aydind

VIP
VIP
Retired
Bright Idea Reporter Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Gaming PCs are always better, imo.

HumphreyMax

HumphreyMax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Upgradable, repairable, and much more flexible than an overpriced gaming laptop. It's almost better to go mid-level graphics on a laptop if that is what you really want to buy since it wont cost an arm and a leg and still provide a decent experience.

wendellhill

wendellhill

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, Different choices of peoples. I love to play games on the laptop because it is easy to carry and play anywhere. I am not bound to play my favorite games. I have Razer Blade Stealth which is thinnest Gaming Laptop and the best thing is in Under $1000.

micemeat

micemeat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Laptops arn't meant for gaming, even if it is a gaming laptop, you'd be better off building a pc 1000% of the time.

Laptops suck! unless you have $3k and have a specific reason to need a portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register