What's new

Web Favourite HTML editing software?

• Thread starter 12627676
  • Start date
  • Views 1,251

What is your favourite HTML editing software, looking for a new one.

B-rad

B-rad

Press On
Legendary Veteran 10th Anniversary Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah a lot of people use Sublime Text 3. Personally it's good and you can trial it as long as you need even though it costs money.

But if your looking for the best of the best in my opinion I would go for PHPStorm by JetBrains. It costs money but it has everything you need to succeed. It's an IDE editor so way more advanced than a simple text editor like Sublime Text. It supports many of the pre-processors too without needing to download packages (such as sass, less.. etc). Basically what makes it so good is it has a built in code support that pulls up all your errors in your code and tells you what you need to correct. What makes it the best for beginners and not just professional coders is it has a live preview function in Chrome. Free editors such as brackets also have this but the only problem for a lot of people is it doesn't work. However PHPstorms live preview works like a charm and will show you changes as you code html and css.

Might confuse you since it's called "PHPstorm" but in latent terms what that means is it's just added php support if you decided you ever needed it. It has support for almost all web design languages, pre-processors, javascript and javascript frameworks... etc

If you want all the web design stuff without the php included you can go for WebStorm which is practically the same thing without php support and is fairly cheaper. They have a perpetual licensing model. It costs money by the year but after you've paid for a year, the version you had originally paid for becomes free.

What I like about it the most is the coding error support. Sublime Text requires you download a linting package in order for errors to show up. In my opinion if you want the best of the best choose this one because it doesn't get much better than that.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Sublime text. I like to use visual studio as well. I highly do not recommend WebStorm or any other product they own. The price is cheap at only $5 a month and it is a powerful tool. But it suffers from bad performance, and constant hanging, and I mean constant. Just google search it.

B-rad

B-rad

Press On
Legendary Veteran 10th Anniversary Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Sublime text. I like to use visual studio as well. I highly do not recommend WebStorm or any other product they own. The price is cheap at only $5 a month and it is a powerful tool. But it suffers from bad performance, and constant hanging, and I mean constant. Just google search it.

Have you used Phpstorm? It really makes Sublime Text look terrible. Maybe that's because it's an ordinary text editor up against a full blown IDE so there are going to be some delays in typing code if your computers slow but personally I've never had an issue with it. Sublime Text is good but it doesn't even have built in linters and you have to download a package for that and auto-save.

Are you saying this from personal experience or reviews you heard. Just wondering. I respect your opinion if that's how you feel.

Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty

Free Sosa #bangbang
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I use Visual Studio Code as my main editor now. Atom is also good.

Yoda

Yoda

From the stars
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm learning to code right now and I have been using atom.io. In my opinion it's really good but I haven't used any others so I don't know how well it works compared to other editors.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you used Phpstorm? It really makes Sublime Text look terrible. Maybe that's because it's an ordinary text editor up against a full blown IDE so there are going to be some delays in typing code if your computers slow but personally I've never had an issue with it. Sublime Text is good but it doesn't even have built in linters and you have to download a package for that and auto-save.

Are you saying this from personal experience or reviews you heard. Just wondering. I respect your opinion if that's how you feel.

Personal experience. When I did a search for the issues I was encountering, it became apparent that the JetBrains products are plagued with these issues. My PC is pretty hefty, highly doubt its my PC or config. It can be a full IDE all it wants, its not acceptable to have the program stall every 30 seconds while I'm trying to work. Visual Studio has never given me a problem like this. Not everyone will experience the issues, and for that reason, I didn't - not recommend it based on just my personal experience alone. I actually liked the JetBrains products and the price point was very attractive. I would be willing to give it another try, if they addressed the issues and stopped playing it off like its a user driven problem.

I use Visual Studio Code as my main editor now. Atom is also good.

Visual Studio is finally making the cross to the web world that isn't ASP driven. They have a lot to improve on but Visual Studio is always going to be the best in my opinion.

Sublime is great, which honestly when your writing web languages. Not much need for an IDE, a strong text editor will suffice. Well maybe except for JS and PHP. I still use VS tho haha.

Immense

Immense

Developer
Retired
Hidden Devils
Reaction score
Sin$
Am I the only person that's gonna say Dreamweaver? lol I use Visual Studio as well. My freshman year I was forced to use Dreamweaver, I hated it at first, but its pretty useful. I personally have not used Sublime, but I don't mess with HTML stuff anymore and haven't for 5 years.

Joshrpg

Joshrpg

Qahnaarin
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
Am I the only person that's gonna say Dreamweaver? lol I use Visual Studio as well. My freshman year I was forced to use Dreamweaver, I hated it at first, but its pretty useful. I personally have not used Sublime, but I don't mess with HTML stuff anymore and haven't for 5 years.

I was wondering the same as I was reading everyone elses replies. I use Dreamweaver and Notepad++ for the more simple quick things.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
I was wondering the same as I was reading everyone elses replies. I use Dreamweaver and Notepad++ for the more simple quick things.
I personally haven't used Dreamweaver since CS3, but it was a dread to use IMO.

Immense

Immense

Developer
Retired
Hidden Devils
Reaction score
Sin$
I personally haven't used Dreamweaver since CS3, but it was a dread to use IMO.
I think when I was in freshman year it was CS3 or CS4 I think it was CS3

vRice

vRice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
No mention of Adobe Brackets? it's like a lightweight version of Dreamweaver. I've been using it for little over a year now and would find it hard to switch to anything else now haha.

Immense

Immense

Developer
Retired
Hidden Devils
Reaction score
Sin$
No mention of Adobe Brackets? it's like a lightweight version of Dreamweaver. I've been using it for little over a year now and would find it hard to switch to anything else now haha.
Personally never tried that, but then again where's the need to when I used to use Dreamweaver and if I were to be developing a site it would likely be in VS anyway

Top Bottom
Login
Register