What's new

Discussion Upgrading my current build (Thoughts)

• Thread starter nickc2122
  • Start date
  • Views 393

Graphics Card or Processor first?

• MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel i7 6700k 4.0GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
nickc2122

nickc2122

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I recently purchased a CyberPowerPC and I love it. I just need a few thoughts and opinions.

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4330 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
RAM:
8.0 GB
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

I would like to upgrade it, graphics card or processor first? I was looking at an i7 6700k processor and a 1080 ti msi graphics card. Tell me your thoughts, thank you. :smile:

Madman

Madman

I'm just living life, as if I live twice.
Reaction score
Sin$
What do you mainly plan on doing with the PC?

nickc2122

nickc2122

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
What do you mainly plan on doing with the PC?
gaming, i can run wow on ultra with over 100 fps and i can run most games no problem. I just would like to upgrade for the best for performance.

Swifty

Swifty

Taylor Swift Gang
Retired
Stickied Bright Idea Free Hoster
Reaction score
Sin$
I recently purchased a CyberPowerPC and I love it. I just need a few thoughts and opinions.

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4330 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
RAM:
8.0 GB
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

I would like to upgrade it, graphics card or processor first? I was looking at an i7 6700k processor and a 1080 ti msi graphics card. Tell me your thoughts, thank you. :smile:
Graphics card first if you honestly want better graphics but if you are just playing WoW you don't really need a better GPU.
If your computer is kinda slow when having multiple things opened up get a CPU.

nickc2122

nickc2122

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Graphics card first if you honestly want better graphics but if you are just playing WoW you don't really need a better GPU.
If your computer is kinda slow when having multiple things opened up get a CPU.
I will most likely go with graphics card :smile:

Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
If you're not dumb, get the i7-4770 and an RX580 or gtx1070. Keep the same motherboard and everythingg else.

If you dont have an ssd, buy a 256gb ssd and install windows on it.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Get a Ryzen 5 1600x + an RX570/580 & 16gb 3000/3200mhz ram.

Buying an i7 right now is kinda dumb they cost like WAY more than a 6 core Ryzen chip for 2% better FPS in lower threaded games & worse frame latencies and only benefit is if your using nvidia card you need a beefier CPU cuz your GPU offloads work to the CPU.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you thought about EVGA instead of MSi? WHat made you want MSi if you don't mind me asking?

EVGA had a rough launch on the 1000 series with cards literally melting due to terrible designs.

I woulda went with any decent brand that was cheap though and EVGA's new cards are fixed now so they ain't a problem anymore.

Zotac is now my fav Nvidia company (Zotac is owned by Sapphire who makes amazing AMD cards).

Only reason to get a specific brand instead of just grabbings cheapest Zotac, Galaxy, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus etc really tbh is if your doing like LN2 cooling where you want Asus's top tier VRM's (and their **** tier coolers won't be a problem)

The difference between like a Zotac & MSI will be minuscule at best and not worth more than say 5-10 bucks difference.

Except on some of those Zotac Extreme Amp! editions they are nice.

D

Deleted member 730411

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
If it's for gaming purposes, I would upgrade the GPU first and then the CPU, if you're running games that don't require too much GPU power, but your system tends to bottleneck badly under a lot of stress (multiple programs) then I would upgrade the CPU first. I'm still running a GeForce GTX 770 GPU and an AMD FX-8350 (8 core 4.34GHz) CPU, but I can still run over 100 FPS on high and ultra settings on most games. I want to upgrade to one of the new Ryzen AMD CPU's and a GTX 1080 Ti when I get the money.

nickc2122

nickc2122

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you thought about EVGA instead of MSi? WHat made you want MSi if you don't mind me asking?
I bought this pc about a month ago, it had a MSI motherboard. I'm kinda tight on money right now. I just wanna upgrade a few things and call it a day :smile: I can already run all my games on ultra settings. I just would like have 0 lag and future games that come out.

Noumenon

Noumenon

Seasoned Member
Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I bought this pc about a month ago, it had a MSI motherboard. I'm kinda tight on money right now. I just wanna upgrade a few things and call it a day :smile: I can already run all my games on ultra settings. I just would like have 0 lag and future games that come out.
I would really recommend not trying to future-proof your build. If you don't need the upgrades yet, don't upgrade. New products will come out which will be more efficient, faster, cheaper, etc. Your money in the future will get you more performance than it will now (if that makes sense to you). RX Vega should be coming out in a couple months and should give 1080/1080 Ti performance for a competitive price. If you don't need to upgrade right now, wait for Vega, see if prices and performance are good (Nvidia cards might even decrease in price like Intel's CPU prices did with Ryzen), and then think about buying new parts.

Nvidia and Intel had kind of run away with the GPU and CPU markets respectively and they could price the high performance components without worrying about competition from AMD since they didn't have really any high performance products. Ryzen changed that for the CPU market, and hopefully Vega will change that for the GPU market.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I would really recommend not trying to future-proof your build. If you don't need the upgrades yet, don't upgrade. New products will come out which will be more efficient, faster, cheaper, etc. Your money in the future will get you more performance than it will now (if that makes sense to you). RX Vega should be coming out in a couple months and should give 1080/1080 Ti performance for a competitive price. If you don't need to upgrade right now, wait for Vega, see if prices and performance are good (Nvidia cards might even decrease in price like Intel's CPU prices did with Ryzen), and then think about buying new parts.

Nvidia and Intel had kind of run away with the GPU and CPU markets respectively and they could price the high performance components without worrying about competition from AMD since they didn't have really any high performance products. Ryzen changed that for the CPU market, and hopefully Vega will change that for the GPU market.

^

Also Future Proof and Nvidia are the opposite

Nvidia cards like to lose huge performance every time new arch comes out. While AMD cards from 2011 can still play games today.

Top Bottom
Login
Register