What's new

Tutorial [Multi TUT] Streaming XB1 games anywhere in the world/Creating a VPN/DDoS Protected VPN

• Thread starter Nad1234
  • Start date
  • Views 6,222
Nad1234

Nad1234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This tutorial will teach you how to stream Xbox One games to any location around the world. There are 2 methods of doing this. The first method is not secure at all because you're setting your Xbox One up in a DMZ. The second method does not require you using the DMZ feature in your router but still requires Port Forwarding. It also requires the purchase of a Dedicated Server in your own country and installing OpenVPN on it. I'm explaining the first method first.

PART 1 USING DMZ AND PORT FORWARDING
This will only work if your router has DMZ and Port Forwarding configurations. Also, you need to have high download and high upload speeds in your ISP package or this is pointless.

First, you need to go into your Xbox One's network settings, and change it from Automatic to Manual. You need to assign your Xbox it's own IP Address (192.168.1.***), change the Subnet Mask to "255.255.255.0", and then change Default Gateway to "192.168.1.1". Then for DNS1 and DNS2, you need to enter in your ISP's DNS Server's, these can be obtained from a google search, ie: (DNS servers for City, State ISP example: DNS servers for Comcast Schereville, IN). After this is done, write down the changes you made or type them in notepad for future refference then save the changes you made and power off your Xbox One

Second, you need to login to your router, then navigate to the DMZ section. Type in the IP Address you assigned to your Xbox One, on your Xbox One. Click Apply and then Reboot if necessary. After reboot, log back into your router, and navigate to Port Forwarding. You want to do Single Port Forwarding for these ports below, and for the IP Address for each port you need to type in the IP Address you assigned to your Xbox One. Make sure to click "Apply" and "Save" after each port is done.

Code:
Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)

THE DMZ and Port Forwarding should look this below
34929fq.png

314rsw7.png

Now, turn your Xbox One back on, if you Port Forwarded the right way you should be able to connect to Xbox Live.

Now you need to set up your Xbox One to be able to stream from another device that is running Windows 10.

Enable settings on your Xbox One

To use Xbox game streaming, you must first enable game streaming from your Xbox One. To do this, go to Settings and select Preferences. Make sure these two settings are enabled:
2s1lpy0.png

21edqiu.png
Connect your Windows 10 PC to your Xbox One

After ensuring that your console settings are correct, you need to establish a connection from your Windows 10 PC to your Xbox One console from within the Xbox app on your PC:

On your PC, launch the Xbox app.
Select Connect from the panel on the left side.
ENTER YOUR PUBLIC IP ADDRESS (THE ONE YOU SEE LIKE ON IP CHICKEN!!!!)
fl8rwp.png
NOW CLICK CONNECT AND IT WILL CONNECT!

NOTE: I do not have a picture of me connecting as I discovered this last night and I am not connected to my friends Xbox One at the moment.

PART 2 USING A DEDICATED SERVER & INSTALLING OPENVPN

This method eliminates the use of DMZ but still requires Port Forwarding

NOTE: There will not be any pictures in this section as it is simply easier to describe the steps involved.

NOTE: Do not do this method if you do not know what you are doing.

NOTE: This was done with Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installed on the Dedi

First, you need to buy a Dedicated Server in the United States or whatever country you are living in. Purchasing a Virtual Private Server (VPS) or a Virtual Private Network (VPN) will not work. A VPS could work but you are sharing bandwidth and it is not a dedicated line like how a Dedicated Server is. VPN's will not work at all, even though you are setting up the Dedicated Server as a VPN. The reason behind this is because you virtually need to be on the same network where the Xbox One is located, and wherever you are streaming it to so you can play games.

NOTE: If your real life friend doesn't have an Xbox One and wants to stream games to his house and play when you're not on, the best bet is to purchase a Dedicated Server in the nearest city that you guys are located too. Other than that is does not matter, if you are in the United States purchase from here because of ping and latency issues. If you purchase from another country your speed will drop dramatically.

When you buy your Dedicated Server have them install any Linux OS you want that you're familiar with, also partition's don't have to be custom. So you purchased it and got the login information for it. Now download and run PuTTY or whatever SSH client you prefer. Login to the server with your information. Now you can install Python, SpeedTest and OpenVPN ***Remember though when getting Super User, some versions require you to type sudo and others require you to type su***

FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

check to see if python is installed
python --version

install python
sudo apt-get install python

***SpeedTest Not Required***
install speedtest
wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py

change speedtest permission
chmod +x speedtest-cli

to speedtest
./speedtest-cli --share --simple

install openpvn
sudo wget https://raw.github.com/rosehosting/OpenVPN_setup_script/master/install_openvpn.sh
sudo chmod +x install_openvpn.sh
sudo ./install_openvpn.sh

NOTE: Now you need to install an FTP Server so you can download the OpenVPN files onto your PC. You use these to configure OpenVPN wherever you plan on connecting.

FTP Server Setup Guide
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/ftp-server.html

By now you should have everything setup. Now you want to navigate to the Home Directory and download the files with ".ovpn extension's" and save them on your PC.

You should already know how to configure user's and such on OpenVPN. So do that and have your friend do that as well. Now both of you will connect to the VPN you just set up, whoever owns the "Xbox One will turn it on, and sign into his account, and then sign onto your XBL account as well on his Xbox One. If you don't have an account it's no big deal.

Now, whoever doesn't own the Xbox One, will sign into the Xbox App on Windows 10 on your account or your friends account, and you will be able to play his games at your house without using an Xbox One. All you do is open the Xbox App and click Connect and type in his Local IP Address that was assigned to his Xbox One.

Shocker

Now that you know how to setup a VPN on a Dedicated Server, you can also buy DDoS Protection and have it set up on your Dedi/VPN and you will be able to play on Xbox Live using a DDoS Protected VPN that you set up yourself. (if you wanna do this instead of streaming games anywhere in the world go ahead).

HUGE SHOUT OUT to my original h2 buddy xIce101x for helping me out with this, you're a great friend to have bro! Credit goes to him as well as I couldn't have figured this all out without him.

Last edited:
xIce101x

xIce101x

H2 Legend
Experienced Veteran Frame In Gold AzzidReign Jr
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for giving me credit but I really only helped you set up the dedi lol. You figured out the streaming thing. All in all great tutorial

Trallafitti

Trallafitti

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I wonder how much lag this will have if I stream from home to lets say a friends house 200 Miles away. You already got a bit of latency in a wired Homenetwork if playing Online Shooter. Idea and Tut is great tho, I might try this with a singler player game.

Nad1234

Nad1234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I wonder how much lag this will have if I stream from home to lets say a friends house 200 Miles away. You already got a bit of latency in a wired Homenetwork if playing Online Shooter. Idea and Tut is great tho, I might try this with a singler player game.
Just to put this in perspective, on 360 when I played on a Dedi DDoS protected VPN hosted in Vegas, and me being in Chicago, my download was 36mbps and my upload was 12mbps. Keep in mind 360 used 10/100mbps network cards... On Xbox One using the same VPN, my download is 88mbps and my upload is 21mbps... I have comcast though with a 150mbps down and 25mbps up package. Thats why you gotta have a good bandwidth package from ISP for this to work, because your streaming.

Trallafitti

Trallafitti

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Just to put this in perspective, on 360 when I played on a Dedi DDoS protected VPN hosted in Vegas, and me being in Chicago, my download was 36mbps and my upload was 12mbps. Keep in mind 360 used 10/100mbps network cards... On Xbox One using the same VPN, my download is 88mbps and my upload is 21mbps... I have comcast though with a 150mbps down and 25mbps up package. Thats why you gotta have a good bandwidth package from ISP for this to work, because your streaming.

Bandwidth aint the problem. Got 125 Down, 20 Up. Same at my girls house. Didnt had time to test the Tut tho, got it bookmarked for later :smile:

Edit: Did u play an Online Shooter like Halo or sthg or Single Player only ?

Nad1234

Nad1234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Bandwidth aint the problem. Got 125 Down, 20 Up. Same at my girls house. Didnt had time to test the Tut tho, got it bookmarked for later :smile:

Edit: Did u play an Online Shooter like Halo or sthg or Single Player only ?

I played a few games of H5 doing this before I got another xb1, there is lag but nothing really to complain over. I mean, if you ever played a game with a delay, like where you would snipe someone and then it would show them dying a few milliseconds later, its like that. Pretty much like an Australian playing with Americans on Halo 4 on the 360.

S

Shadohz

Reaction score
Sin$
Your steps are inaccurate. Universal Plug 'N Play, DMZ and Port Forwarding are all WAN features and are interchangeable (when done correctly). Using two methods is redundant and could also cause problems with your networking.

1. Universal PlugNPlay is meant to be the Zero-Config method. The router and devices behind it SHOULD be able talk back and forth without needing to make advanced configurations. UPnP has a known security risk associated with it. Most gaming companies, specifically MPs, will tell you to enable this but its generally due to crappy netcode on their part.

2. DMZ is the least secured method. It's usually the last resort option. There are reasons for using DMZ such as testing whether you have a traffic issue with a device, you have a double-NAT setup (WAN-to-LAN connection between two routers), or have a multi-role server that handles traffic.

3. Port Forward/Triggering is the more secured and reliable method. It gives the greatest control over which ports you want to assign to a device or application. It also allows you substitute ports when there is a conflict on your network between multiple devices or applications.

The problem with Xboxes are that they don't allow for changing ports specific to your box. If you're needing to drop a device in DMZ then I guarantee you that you missed a port assignment, your ISP/Router's firewall is blocking a necessary port you may not be aware of and/or did not account of port conflicts on your local. For instance, if I run my Xbox in DMZ then it would cause intermittent issues with my webserver that runs on port 80, sharing a similar WAN (public IP). You have to change the port(s) for one of the devices or set up Triggering so the router knows which devices to kick to when something comes across on those specific ports. For further clarification read this guide (where some of your same information possibly came from): http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/46572/xbox-one-how-to-open-your-nat-to-connect-to-live-members-and-servers/
The rule of thumb to use is this:
1. Use Port Forwarding/Range Forward for pushing traffic for certain ports when using Static IPs.
2. Use Port Triggering for Automatically assigned IPs. The device behind Firewall has to initiate an outgoing communication for the rule to go into effect.
3. If two or more devices or applications use the same port(s):
a. Don't run them at the same time.
b. Change the port requirement for one of the devices.
c. Get a second WAN line or public IP, such as from your ISP or external VPN service (AirVpn, GateVpn etc). This is generally worst case scenario when it comes to residential needs.

You shouldn't need to buy a dedi server. Even without this guide (http://kinkeadtech.com/2015/07/how-to-stream-xbox-one-to-windows-10-from-anywhere-with-internet/) I could easily tell you have to stream Xbox One using NoIP.com and router (with or without DD-WRT) over a WAN. A VPN and dedi is if you're being super-anal about security. The performance bump can be hit/miss. You may want to retry your set up with dynamic dns and properly configuring your router. The problem might be that you have one of cable-provided gateways with limited functionality that requires passthrough (from your ISP) so you can configure your network with a more flexible router.

Last edited:
Nad1234

Nad1234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Your steps are inaccurate. Universal Plug 'N Play, DMZ and Port Forwarding are all WAN features and are interchangeable (when done correctly). Using two methods is redundant and could also cause problems with your networking.

1. Universal PlugNPlay is meant to be the Zero-Config method. The router and devices behind it SHOULD be able talk back and forth without needing to make advanced configurations. UPnP has a known security risk associated with it. Most gaming companies, specifically MPs, will tell you to enable this but its generally due to crappy netcode on their part.

2. DMZ is the least secured method. It's usually the last resort option. There are reasons for using DMZ such as testing whether you have a traffic issue with a device, you have a double-NAT setup (WAN-to-LAN connection between two routers), or have a multi-role server that handles traffic.

3. Port Forward/Triggering is the more secured and reliable method. It gives the greatest control over which ports you want to assign to a device or application. It also allows you substitute ports when there is a conflict on your network between multiple devices or applications.

The problem with Xboxes are that they don't allow for changing ports specific to your box. If you're needing to drop a device in DMZ then I guarantee you that you missed a port assignment, your ISP/Router's firewall is blocking a necessary port you may not be aware of and/or did not account of port conflicts on your local. For instance, if I run my Xbox in DMZ then it would cause intermittent issues with my webserver that runs on port 80, sharing a similar WAN (public IP). You have to change the port(s) for one of the devices or set up Triggering so the router knows which devices to kick to when something comes across on those specific ports. For further clarification read this guide (where some of your same information possibly came from): http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/46572/xbox-one-how-to-open-your-nat-to-connect-to-live-members-and-servers/
The rule of thumb to use is this:
1. Use Port Forwarding/Range Forward for pushing traffic for certain ports when using Static IPs.
2. Use Port Triggering for Automatically assigned IPs. The device behind Firewall has to initiate an outgoing communication for the rule to go into effect.
3. If two or more devices or applications use the same port(s):
a. Don't run them at the same time.
b. Change the port requirement for one of the devices.
c. Get a second WAN line or public IP, such as from your ISP or external VPN service (AirVpn, GateVpn etc). This is generally worst case scenario when it comes to residential needs.

You shouldn't need to buy a dedi server. Even without this guide (http://kinkeadtech.com/2015/07/how-to-stream-xbox-one-to-windows-10-from-anywhere-with-internet/) I could easily tell you have to stream Xbox One using NoIP.com and router (with or without DD-WRT) over a WAN. A VPN and dedi is if you're being super-anal about security. The performance bump can be hit/miss. You may want to retry your set up with dynamic dns and properly configuring your router. The problem might be that you have one of cable-provided gateways with limited functionality that requires passthrough (from your ISP) so you can configure your network with a more flexible router.

I had to do it the ways in my tut because of my modem. I have comcast and the modem i have has built in wifi along with 4 ethernet ports.. even when i port forward and assign my xbox a static ip my nat is still moderate, and the only way i can make it open is by hard resetting my xbox and resetting my router, then "testing multiplayer connection" and holding down lt lb rt rb at the same time and then itll open up.

If you want to edit my tut and put your findings in it and msg me it ill repost it and give you credit for your method as well. This will also work with socks5 proxy's. I mainly added the dedi part so scrubs can learn how to play on vpn's if they wanted to set one up themselves.

Just copy my tut and add what you want and ill repost the edited version and give you credit too :smile:

Top Bottom
Login
Register