Question about Laptop-to-TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
jhitman

jhitman

Thanks DirtyBear for the premium!
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, i have my laptop connected to the TV in the living room so i can watch PopcornTime on the big screen. They are both connected via HDMI, the problem is it stutters a little. The picture quality is fine but it seems to run at a 90% efficiency, not running completely smooth, just stutters like every 2 or 3 seconds for .01 second for like the whole time im watching it.

What can i do to fix this problem? Do i have to buy a better quality HDMI (the one i used is PS4 brand) or does it have anything to do with my sh*tty laptop? Should i use USB instead of HDMI? I want a good pic quality and for it to be able to run fully smooth.

Thanks in advance.

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, i have my laptop connected to the TV in the living room so i can watch PopcornTime on the big screen. They are both connected via HDMI, the problem is it stutters a little. The picture quality is fine but it seems to run at a 90% efficiency, not running completely smooth, just stutters like every 2 or 3 seconds for .01 second for like the whole time im watching it.

What can i do to fix this problem? Do i have to buy a better quality HDMI (the one i used is PS4 brand) or does it have anything to do with my sh*tty laptop?

Thanks in advance.
I think using a HDMI from a laptop screen to a TV screen would have noticeable response time, I'm not sure if it's that though.

View this thread: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/192115 it may help you, I've not experienced this particular issue before.

jhitman

jhitman

Reaction score
Sin$
I think using a HDMI from a laptop screen to a TV screen would have noticeable response time, I'm not sure if it's that though.

View this thread: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/192115 it may help you, I've not experienced this particular issue before.

That thread didn't really help me. I couldn't understand most of the tech mumbo jumbo (not a tech geek myself). I just wanted to know if anyone here had problems like this and how to fix it etc etc. I cant be the only one here watching PopcornTime on the big screen, i know that for sure lol.

Bear

Bear

Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
That thread didn't really help me. I couldn't understand most of the tech mumbo jumbo (not a tech geek myself). I just wanted to know if anyone here had problems like this and how to fix it etc etc. I cant be the only one here watching PopcornTime on the big screen, i know that for sure lol.
I also use Popcorn Time on my TV via an HDMI, but I don't have any stutter issues. Popcorn Time tends to me a memory hog sometimes so close unnecessary programs when you watch a movie.

jhitman

jhitman

Reaction score
Sin$
I also use Popcorn Time on my TV via an HDMI, but I don't have any stutter issues. Popcorn Time tends to me a memory hog sometimes so close unnecessary programs when you watch a movie.

I took off the PS4 HDMI and used the Xbox One HDMI and noticed somewhat improvement. The video playback runs at 98% smoothness. Its definitely better than it was when i used the ps4 hdmi. So i know it has to do with what kind of hdmi cable i use. For the record i never have anything else running when using Popcorn time, i know its a memory hog. I think im gonna buy a Monster HDMI cable to use between my laptop and HDTV...i think that would make it run 100% smoothly.

jhitman

jhitman

Reaction score
Sin$

Just out of curiousity what HDMI brand do you use? Im assuming the better the brand, the higher quality and speed of streaming there will be. As far as I can tell, X1's HDMI is wayyy better than PS4's HDMI.

Bear

Bear

Reaction score
Sin$
Just out of curiousity what HDMI brand do you use? Im assuming the better the brand, the higher quality and speed of streaming there will be. As far as I can tell, X1's HDMI is wayyy better than PS4's HDMI.
I use Twisted Vein HDMI Cables. You can get them on Amazon.

jhitman

jhitman

Reaction score
Sin$
I use Twisted Vein HDMI Cables. You can get them on Amazon.

Are they the high speed HDMI cables? I think that's why mine makes it stutter a little. I seen on Amazon that some hdmi have different speeds and even some of the best ones cost like $250....f*ck me sideways lol.

Bear

Bear

Reaction score
Sin$
Are they the high speed HDMI cables? I think that's why mine makes it stutter a little. I seen on Amazon that some hdmi have different speeds and even some of the best ones cost like $250....f*ck me sideways lol.
Yes, they're high speed. Don't spend more than $10 on an HDMI Cable. They all do the same job.

jhitman

jhitman

Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, they're high speed. Don't spend more than $10 on an HDMI Cable. They all do the same job.

Well i can tell you that the HDMI that comes with PS4 are lower quality than the X1 ones based on PopcornTime streaming speed from my laptop to my HDTV. I think im gonna buy the Monster HDMI because i want it to be flawless since im cutting Netflix off lol. Monster or a similar brand, not the cheap ones made in china. But thanks anyway.

Noumenon

Noumenon

Seasoned Member
Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Well i can tell you that the HDMI that comes with PS4 are lower quality than the X1 ones based on PopcornTime streaming speed from my laptop to my HDTV. I think im gonna buy the Monster HDMI because i want it to be flawless since im cutting Netflix off lol. Monster or a similar brand, not the cheap ones made in china. But thanks anyway.
Dude HDMI cables are all exactly the same. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. There's no degradation of signal or choppiness that can come from the cord. Either you get the full picture just as it should be, or it doesn't work. Buying a new cable won't fix it. Any sort of improvement you're seeing from switching the cables is just confirmation bias

It's probably just the laptop. What are the specs and how bogged down does it get while running the program?

jhitman

jhitman

Reaction score
Sin$
It's probably just the laptop. What are the specs and how bogged down does it get while running the program?

I tested it this morning with my own eyes. Streamed Interstellar from PopcornTime with NO other programs running on PS4..playback ran about 90% smoothly, choppiness was still noticeable like every 3 seconds. Switched to X1 HDMI cable, streamed the same movie with nothing else runnin, playback was about 97-98% smooth. You could barely notice unless you squished really hard. Both were from the same laptop to the same tv. No other variables.

Btw, the laptop's specs- http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP305V5A-A04US-specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register