What's new

Solved Dual-Booting Ubuntu and Windows 8.1

Cameron

Cameron

Audiophile
Fabled Veteran Donator Bright Idea
Reaction score
Sin$
Windows 8 came pre-installed on my computer and I have heard that getting Linux on it is much harder than previous versions of Windows because of it using something other than a BIOS. I forget what it is called... EUFI or something like that.

I am very technology inclined, but installing operating systems and dual-booting is a completely new concept to me. I mean I've always known what it is, but I've never attempted it myself.

Does anyone have any tips or know of any good tutorials for dual booting Ubuntu with a pre-installed Windows 8? I know that I should create a recovery drive in case anything goes wrong. Here is the method I plan on using: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive.

I am completely new to the world of Linux, but I have been doing some research for about a week and I am very interested in trying it.

Operating System
  1. Linux
ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you get an answer, HMU. I've been desperately trying to get round UEFI on my Win 8 laptop so I can install Linux Mint. I've not been too successful since Win8 does a ton of stupid stuff.

I'm currently running Linux Mint on my desktop and would love to use it on my laptop too, it's beautiful. If you get it working, can you let us know (unless I attempt what anyone who replies suggests)? Thanks and good luck.

Cameron

Cameron

Audiophile
Reaction score
Sin$
If you get an answer, HMU. I've been desperately trying to get round UEFI on my Win 8 laptop so I can install Linux Mint. I've not been too successful since Win8 does a ton of stupid stuff.

I'm currently running Linux Mint on my desktop and would love to use it on my laptop too, it's beautiful. If you get it working, can you let us know (unless I attempt what anyone who replies suggests)? Thanks and good luck.
This will probably work: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

Deadpool

Deadpool

Politically Incorrect
Retired
Lifetime
Fabled Veteran Beginning of An Odyssey Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure UEFI and bios has more to do with your mobo than your OS.

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Got it working.
You simply hold shift and click on Restart in the Windows 8 shut down menu and it will then load up an alternate restart screen. From there, you choose troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmare settings. Then you should be able to just disable it.

Then, turn off your laptop and do the obvious routine for booting from a USB or CD.
I'm sure most linux flavours can live boot from a USB or CD. Once you get it running, you just choose to install OS on the desktop screen then it will ask you if you want to install it alongside Windows 8 and use GNU GRUB to pick OS on boot or clear the Windows 8 installation and install the Linux OS as the primary OS. Choose one -> wait as it installs and select relevant options -> restart -> boom.

UoyfjgQ.jpg

Cameron

Cameron

Audiophile
Reaction score
Sin$
Got it working.
You simply hold shift and click on Restart in the Windows 8 shut down menu and it will then load up an alternate restart screen. From there, you choose troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmare settings. Then you should be able to just disable it.

Then, turn off your laptop and do the obvious routine for booting from a USB or CD.
I'm sure most linux flavours can live boot from a USB or CD. Once you get it running, you just choose to install OS on the desktop screen then it will ask you if you want to install it alongside Windows 8 and use GNU GRUB to pick OS on boot or clear the Windows 8 installation and install the Linux OS as the primary OS. Choose one -> wait as it installs and select relevant options -> restart -> boom.

UoyfjgQ.jpg
I'm just waiting until I can create a USB recovery drive before I try installing it. Congratulations on getting it working! How do you like it so far?

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm just waiting until I can create a USB recovery drive before I try installing it. Congratulations on getting it working! How do you like it so far?
Well, it's great. I'm not new to Linux I just have never attempted it on a laptop. I'm using Linux Mint (regardless of the fact that it's considered a newbie linux distro) because I think it's sexy and feels like a better Linux distro for a laptop that I need to use for school and portable work. I would be using Ubuntu or Kali but I have begun to dislike Ubuntu and have never liked Kali that much.

Cameron

Cameron

Audiophile
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, it's great. I'm not new to Linux I just have never attempted it on a laptop. I'm using Linux Mint (regardless of the fact that it's considered a newbie linux distro) because I think it's sexy and feels like a better Linux distro for a laptop that I need to use for school and portable work. I would be using Ubuntu or Kali but I have begun to dislike Ubuntu and have never liked Kali that much.
Ubuntu seems to have the most modern and polished UI. So far that is the distribution I am considering the most, but Mint is definitely my second choice. I'm still learning and doing research about dual-booting with Linux. I don't know anything about modifying my partitions, so I'll need to figure that out before I do anything. There is a lot to figure out when it comes to Linux. Is it really worth learning an entirely new OS?

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ubuntu seems to have the most modern and polished UI. So far that is the distribution I am considering the most, but Mint is definitely my second choice. I'm still learning and doing research about dual-booting with Linux. I don't know anything about modifying my partitions, so I'll need to figure that out before I do anything. There is a lot to figure out when it comes to Linux. Is it really worth learning an entirely new OS?
There's not much to it. For Ubuntu and Mint (since Mint is based off Ubuntu) you can create partitions on your main drive and then (for Ubuntu) use something like wubi (some people argue against it) to install Ubuntu on that partition. Then, next time you boot it should automatically come up w/ the GNU GRUB bootloader and allow you to select what OS you want to boot.

I find it much easier and less hassle to just create a live USB using Rufus and then in BIOS, select start up device as USB HDD and then it will automatically load up the distro and on the desktop there is always options to install the distro permanently; either as a main OS (will remove other OS) or as an OS alongside the other OS.

Ubuntu is very polished but it just wasn't working out for me personally. The response time when I click on things was just dreadful, there was lag when typing etc. just wasn't working. It's worked for me before countless times. Anyways, I heard that Mint was "Ubuntu done right" and I fancied a change so here I am, using Mint. The UI doesn't really bother me to be honest. I think Mint is sexy as hell - I got bored of Ubuntu's look.

Cameron

Cameron

Audiophile
Reaction score
Sin$
There's not much to it. For Ubuntu and Mint (since Mint is based off Ubuntu) you can create partitions on your main drive and then (for Ubuntu) use something like wubi (some people argue against it) to install Ubuntu on that partition. Then, next time you boot it should automatically come up w/ the GNU GRUB bootloader and allow you to select what OS you want to boot.

I find it much easier and less hassle to just create a live USB using Rufus and then in BIOS, select start up device as USB HDD and then it will automatically load up the distro and on the desktop there is always options to install the distro permanently; either as a main OS (will remove other OS) or as an OS alongside the other OS.

Ubuntu is very polished but it just wasn't working out for me personally. The response time when I click on things was just dreadful, there was lag when typing etc. just wasn't working. It's worked for me before countless times. Anyways, I heard that Mint was "Ubuntu done right" and I fancied a change so here I am, using Mint. The UI doesn't really bother me to be honest. I think Mint is sexy as hell - I got bored of Ubuntu's look.
Is it better to create a partition for Ubuntu before I run the installer? Or is that something the installer would help me do?

And do you mean using a live USB is easier than a DVD?

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Is it better to create a partition for Ubuntu before I run the installer? Or is that something the installer would help me do?

And do you mean using a live USB is easier than a DVD?
You partition it before you install it. I'm sure Ubuntu has a partition tool already in it though. I recommend partitioning before you install though.

I only use live USBs because they're harder to damage than CDs, more modern than CDs, I don't have CDs that are 1.4GB. You can use either. Most people have more USBs than CDs lying around though.

Cameron

Cameron

Audiophile
Reaction score
Sin$
You partition it before you install it. I'm sure Ubuntu has a partition tool already in it though. I recommend partitioning before you install though.

I only use live USBs because they're harder to damage than CDs, more modern than CDs, I don't have CDs that are 1.4GB. You can use either. Most people have more USBs than CDs lying around though.
I don't have either lying around. I have a 32GB flash drive, but I use it on a regular basis, so I don't want to store my backup on there. I'm probably going to buy a flash drive to hold my backup of Windows 8 and then just use a blank DVD to actually install Ubuntu because it is cheaper. The more I have read about installing Linux and partitioning it has become much more clear. Everything is starting to seems much simpler now. I'll let you know when I take the plunge!

Top Bottom
Login
Register