The latest free update is now available for Doom, introducing a number of new features to its multiplayer mode.
Among other things, bot support has been added, allowing you to play against AI-controlled enemies. At least for now, they're only available in the less-complex game modes, Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. They're also limited to playing on the original slate of multiplayer maps.
Update 5 introduces a new multiplayer mode, Infernal Run, Doom's take on a mode like Call of Duty's Uplink. In it, two teams compete to hold onto a ball--an eyeball that makes a gross noise, more precisely--that must be thrown or carried into the enemy's goal.
Doom's level cap increases with this update, too. You can now reach Echelon 11, and doing so will entitle you to a tantalizing reward in the form of the Doom marine armor.
That armor is also now available in SnapMap, as are new Lazarus Lab modules and other improvements. These are detailed in full in the patch notes below.
To encourage players to check all of this out, double XP will be awarded from now until December 12 at 9 AM PT / 12 PM ET. Three days later, on December 15, id Software will release the third and final DLC pack, which adds three new maps and a Spectre Pinky demon who can turn invisible. More details will be announced sometime next week.
Read on for the full patch notes.
Doom Update 5 Patch Notes
- Added new game mode, Infernal Run
- Teams fight to obtain the ball and score in the opponent’s goal
- Added Bots for multiplayer
- Bots are available on original multiplayer maps in Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch game modes
- Increased the maximum level cap to Echelon 11, level 50
- Added the Doom Marine Armor (Praetor Suit) as unlockable perk for achieving maximum multiplayer level cap
- Resolved an issue where rapid controller input caused unusually high shotgun damage
- You can now play as the Doom Marine in Praetor Suit Armor
- Added over 30 Lazarus Lab-themed modules
- Added Lazarus Lab-themed props
- Improved Object Limits
- Persistent Integer variables that can be passed between missions within a campaign
- Save and restore your health/armor/ammo/weapons/equipment/max weapon slots/inventory
- Added the ability to Get and Set Score
- You can now access the Leaderboard Score in the HUD
- Added new (first-person view) Player Camera Entity
- Added camera rumble FX and sounds
- Added new player modifiers
- Ledge grab time, power-up time, barrel damage, equipment cool down
- Plasma weapon mastery
- Additional single-player Interactables
- New single-player styled Objective HUD
- Added single-player Compass
- General single-player consistency pass on HUD
- Added more POI options
- Show distance, show on compass
- Updated victory and post-match summary screens
- More interactable and customizable GUI
- Added animated Echo Events
- Added new FX/hazards
- Added % encounter complete listener to encounters
- Ability to remove AI from finished encounters and events
- Ability to remove unspawned AI from the AIC
- Added ability to turn off bobbing on pickups to place them however you want
- Editor improvement to hide/show types of objects
- Editor improvement to lock rotation when moving objects
- Editor improvement to disable snapping of objects to the floor
- Added armor Customizations and Taunts