In the diminishing world of free-to-play games, Digital Extremes' Warframe is truly one that stands out from the rest. Offering hours of content and many different ways to play the game using an expanding number of "Warframes", or classes. This third-person shooter pits groups of Tenno, the protagonist race in the game, against hordes of many different enemies with a plethora of loot to obtain throughout the game.
Warframe has never been released, technically. It's been in a beta since the closed beta began in October of 2012, with the open beta launching on March 25, 2013. Digital Extremes also developed Dark Sector, which shares many similarities and plot points with Warframe and some fans even consider Warframe to be a direct sequel to Dark Sector, with some elements from the game being used in Warframe as part of the background story.
Although Warframe has a fleshed out combat and mission system, as well as a variety of game types and maps, the game has received the brunt of its criticism from its grind-y nature with loot drops and repeating missions, as well as its main story. With the recent changes on mobility and movement mechanics, Digital Extremes decided to overhaul the story to bring it to the same standard they brought the other aspects of Warframe to. The update is titled The Second Dream and "brings a higher fidelity of storytelling to the game in the form of a cinematic-driven quest" which is what many players have felt the game was missing.
In addition to an expansion of the story in the game, a large number of content has been added to keep things fresh for players. Digital Extremes has done this in the form of a brand new Warframe called Ivara, the huntress and the thief.
More of the changes coming to Warframe include the following:
Warframe: The Second Dream is currently available on PC with a release today on PlayStation 4, with the update on Xbox One "coming soon." Warframe is available to download for free through Steam, or the Xbox and PlayStation stores.Digital Extremes said:FIRST CINEMATIC QUEST: The Sentient Hunhow has enlisted the Stalker to destroy the Tenno by exploiting a long forgotten secret. A secret that cuts to the heart of what it means to be a Tenno.
Devoted Warframe players will have the opportunity to begin this Quest right away while new players entering Warframe will need to hone their skills through several previous Quests before attempting The Second Dream.
NEW ARCHER WARFRAME: With her quiver of tactical arrows, this huntress prowls unseen and strikes without warning. Ivara's abilities include:
NEW PvP MAP – OROKIN MOONBASE: Teshin's Conclave expands across new grounds with weekly challenges available for his pupils in training. Vauban, Nekros, Mirage, Limbo, and Ivara join their peers in the Conclave. Battle for supremacy in the ruins of an Orokin Lunar outpost, and continue to master the Ways of Old.
- Quiver - Cycle through and shoot one of four tactical arrows:
- Cloak Arrow: Creates a defensive bubble cloaking allies and shielding them from attacks.
- Dashwire Arrow: Fires a zipline.
- Slumber Arrow: Induces a temporary slumber in target.
- Intrigue Arrow: Creates a noise at the point of impact to attract enemies.
- Navigator - Assume control of a projectile and guide it to its targets.
- Prowl - Become invisible, steal loot from unsuspecting enemies then go on the offensive with increased headshot damage.
- Artemis Bow - Summon a mighty bow and unleash a volley of devastating arrows.
NEW SORTIE SYSTEM: Sortie Missions are difficult endgame Missions for experienced Tenno that can be completed alone or with a group.
- Each Sortie Mission will have its own unique requirements or enemy modifiers, favoring Tenno that have a versatile Arsenal.
- Players can access Sortie Missions through the new Sortie Icon through the upper right hand corner of the World State Window in Navigation.
- Sortie Missions will change daily, and players must complete all three Missions to receive a reward from that Season's pool.
- New Sortie Seasons will be introduced regularly with updated loot tables.
[Source: Digital Extremes Forums]