Nintendo's next gaming platform, Switch, won't be sold at a loss, according to company president Tatsumi Kimishima. This is noteworthy as, traditionally, hardware is sold at a loss and software is used to recoup these costs.
Not selling consoles at an initial loss can often mean the price of the hardware is high, but speaking during a financial briefing, as reported by the Wall Street Journal's tech editor, Takashi Mochizuki, Kimishima said it is "listening to what consumers expect from us when setting price."
Continuing, Kimishima added that Nintendo expects to ship two million Switch units during the financial year ending March. Of course, shipping units doesn't translate to sales, so this statement means it is simply aiming to have two million Switch consoles with retailers during a one month period.
Nintendo CEO says current FY financial guidance assumes 2 million units of Switch to be shipped this fiscal year ending in March
— Takashi Mochizuki (@mochi_wsj) October 26, 2016
Finally, Kimishima said he believes consumers will understand what distinguishes the console from its other portable platform, the 3DS. He did not elaborate, however.
As previously unveiled, the Nintendo Switch is a home console and handheld hybrid. It is expected to launch in March 2017.
Are you excited about the Nintendo Switch? If so, let us know in the comments below!