From Software is rolling out a new update for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Patch 1.03 patch is scheduled to go live across PS4, Xbox One, and PC today, April 22, at 6 PM PT / 9 PM ET. Along with addressing a handful of bugs, the update will make an assortment of balance tweaks aimed at improving the usability of the game's various combat options.
According to From Software, the purpose of this patch is primarily to "encourage usage and diversity of approach" when taking on Sekiro's fearsome enemies. To that end, the developer has improved the efficiency and Spirit Emblem cost of a handful of Shinobi Tools, including the Lazulite Sacred Flame and various Loaded Axes. Likewise, a handful of Combat Arts, such as Ashina Cross and Dragon Flash, have also had their efficiency and Spirit Emblem cost adjusted.
Beyond those changes, From Software has adjusted the stats of a few bosses, among them Blazing Bull, whose Posture and Vitality have been "slightly" reduced. Divine Confetti drop rates have also been increased, while the price to buy information from Anayama the Peddler has been reduced. You can see the full list of changes in the patch notes below and on the official Sekiro website.
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice launched toward the end of March and has proven to be a big commercial success for From Software and Activision. The game debuted at the top of UK's sales charts and Activision touted that it managed to sell more than two million copies across PS4, Xbox One, and PC in its first 10 days of availability.
The game has also been a critical success for the companies. GameSpot awarded it a 9/10 in our Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice review, with critic Tamoor Hussain writing, "More so than in previous games, From Software has honed in on the inherent tension found in the challenging nature of its games, and uses it to incredible effect. Sekiro marries the developer's unique brand of gameplay with stealth action to deliver an experience that is as challenging as it is gratifying."
Sekiro Update 1.03 Patch Notes
Improvements to Strategic Approaches
- Adjusted the efficiency and Spirit Emblem cost of the following to encourage usage and diversity of approach:
- Prosthetic Tools: Lazulite Sacred Flame, Loaded Axe series, Sparking Axe, Lazulite Axe
- Combat Arts: Ashina Cross, Dragon Flash, One Mind, Floating Passage, Spiral Cloud Passage, Mortal Draw, Empowered Mortal Draw
- Items: Spiritfall series
- Reduced the Posture damage dealt by the first hit of the Combat Arts "Senpou Leaping Kicks" and "High Monk" as it was causing more damage than intended in certain cases. Posture damage dealt in the latter half of the combo has been increased.
- Increased the Poison build-up dealt by the Prosthetic Tool "Sabimaru" against enemies that were intended to be weak against it.
- Increased the drop rate of "Divine Confetti" for Fencers in Ashina Castle.
- Adjusted loading screen tips and tutorial text, as well as adding new text.
- Slightly reduced Posture and Vitality of Blazing Bull in order to improve game pacing and balance time in combat.
- Lowered the price of information sold by Anayama the Peddler.
- The Chained Ogre inside Ashina Castle is now Red Eyed.
- Fixed a bug where "Gokan's Sugar" and "Gokan's Spiritfall" were not mitigating player Posture damage taken while guarding or deflecting enemy attacks.
- Fixed a bug where system crashes could cause save data to become corrupted on PC.
- Fixed a bug where certain enemies would sometimes stop attacking the player.
- Fixed a bug where certain actions could not be performed after reconfiguring the controls.
- Fixed certain bugs that were allowing the player to access unexpected areas, which could result in becoming unable to obtain items or make further progress.
- Fixed cases of certain text being displayed incorrectly.
- Improved stability.
- Improved performance.
- Other various bug fixes.