Bandai Namco has announced that a new patch is coming to Dark Souls III this Friday, October 21.
Among other things, the patch makes changes to poise values "across the board," the developer said in the official patch notes, published today on Facebook. Specifically, poise will be more effective for heavier weapons and armor.
The patch also improves the "neck swipe" weapon skill animation for scythe-category weapons. It also fixes a bug where strong attacks using the pickaxe would incorrectly consume stamina multiple times with every attack. Additionally, the patch eliminates a bug where dash attacks were prevented from being performed when the player used the Farron Greatsword.
Read the Dark Souls III patch post on Facebook to find out exactly when it comes out on your platform where you live.
The new Dark Souls III patch arrives just days before the game's first paid expansion, Ashes of Ariandel, comes out. Due out on October 25, Ashes of Ariandel is the first of two DLC expansions planned for Dark Souls III and costs $15 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. It's also included with the game's $25 season pass. The second expansion is expected in early 2017. Check out some Ashes of Ariandel screenshots in the gallery below.
Dark Souls III launched in the west on April 12 to mostly positive reviews. GameSpot's Dark Souls III review awarded the sequel 8/10.
The game represents a "turning point" for the Dark Souls franchise, according to creator Hidetaka Miyazaki. He doesn't plan to make any more games in the series, though new entries without his involvement have not been ruled out.
Miyazaki's next project has not been announced. Last month, he confirmed that developer From Software is working on a new Armored Core and a "weird" game.
Dark Souls III October 21 Patch Notes (Version 1.08):
- Adjusted poise values across the board. Poise is now more effective for heavier weapons and armor.
- Improved regular attack animations of hammer category weapons.
- Improved regular attack animations of greatsword category weapons.
- Improved regular attack animations of axe category weapons.
- Improved regular attack animations of fist category weapons.
- Improved the "Neck Swipe" weapon skill animation of scythe category weapons.
- Fixed a bug where strong attacks performed using whips would not deal additional ・damage when fully charged.
- Fixed a bug where strong attacks performed using the Pickaxe would consume stamina multiple times per attack.
- Adjusted the "Onislayer" weapon skill hitbox timings for Onikiri and Ubadachi.
- Adjusted the hitbox timings of the claw category weapon skill "Leaping Slash".
- Fixed a bug where rolling attacks on Astora's Greatsword could not be parried.
- Improved the "Wrath of the Gods" weapon skill animation for Wornir's Holy Sword.
- Improved the "Blind Spot" weapon skill animation for Corvian Greatknife and Handmaiden's Dagger.
- Improved the "Shield Splitter" weapon skill animation for Mail Breaker and Irithyll Rapier.
- Improved the "Wolf Leap" weapon skill animation for Old Wolf Curved Sword.
- The weapon skill of Old King's Great Hammer "Molten Perseverence" will now release lava on both hits.
- Improved the "Darkdrift" weapon skill animation for Darkdrift.
- Reduced effectiveness of rolling attack animations on Gotthard Twinswords while dual wielding.
- Increased effectiveness of the sorcery "Pestilent Mercury".
- Improved the cast animation of miracle "Lifehunt Scythe".
- Increased poison and toxic buildup of the pyromancies "Poison Mist" and "Toxis Mist", respectively.
- Increased durability damage buildup of the pyromancy "Acid Surge".
- Increased duration of the "Warcry" weapon skill.
- Fixed a bug where the player's lock-on target would automatically change even if "Toggle auto lock-on" was set to "OFF".
- Fixed a bug where the leader board for Darkmoon Knights would display incorrect statistics.
- Fixed a bug where the fog wall near Holy Knight Hodrick would sometimes not disappear during multiplayer even after defeating him.
- Fixed a bug where Orbeck of Vinheim would sometimes die before the player purchased all his spells.
- Fixed a bug where Patches and Greirat would never return if sent to steal after defeating all bosses.
- Fixed a bug where female characters were subject to counter damage during certain movement animations.
- Fixed a bug where equipping Vordt's Great Hammer or Irithyll Straight Sword in the left hand would cause enchantments to disappear from weapons in the right hand.
- Fixed a bug where two-handing certain weapons would cause the stealth effect on Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring to not work correctly.
- Fixed a bug where Hornet Ring was not working for claw category weapons.
- Fixed a bug where dash attacks could not be performed using Farron Greatsword.
- Fixed a bug where strong attacks using Lothric Knight Sword were not dealing thrust type damage.
- Fixed a bug where dash attacks using Onikiri and Ubadachi were not dealing thrust type damage.
- Addressed other game balance issues and fixed other flaws.