The developer behind Ark: Survival Evolved continues to support the game with new content, and the most recent patch is a big one. Available now on PC, Update V257 adds gear, creatures, a cave, and a bunch of tweaks and changes. The update is "one of the largest to date," according to developer Studio Wildcard. Headlining the update are a number of changes to the game's TEK Tier, sci-fi endgame content. Players can now create a TEK cloning chamber to clone creatures, a TEK saddle to ride Megalodons, a TEK turret that's an enhanced auto-turret, and a TEK sticky grenade.
In addition, the update adds a high-level cave in an active volcano. By traveling to this cave, players can access the Ascension mechanic, another addition in this update. The Ascension mechanic is essentially a way of leveling up to make the game's world more difficult. Players must beat every boss, complete the cave, and defeat a final boss to Ascend.
Four new creatures are also added to the game. The Apis Lithohermaea is a giant bee which wields its stinger as its main weapon; the Kentrosaurus Aethiopicus looks like a smaller, more dangerous stegosaurus; the Liopleurodon Magicus grants luck if players can tame it; and the Daeodon Comedentis is described as a "Hell Pig."
A list of added features is below, and you can read the full patch notes here:
- Structure: TEK Cloning Chamber
- Structure: TEK Megalodon Saddle
- Structure: TEK Turret
- Weapon: Tek Grenade
- TEK Cave and Volcano--The Volcano finally receives its long overdue, scorching redesign--and now leads to the entrance to the TEK Cave.
- Ascension Game Progression
- More UI overhauls
- New Hairstyle and Facial Hair
- Approximately 20+ New Explorer Notes
- 15 new music tracks, per-biome and situational
- Full console-style gamepad functionality (i.e. same as console versions)
- Alpha Megalodon and APEX Loot for all Alpha creatures.