It's been 13 years since the first Gears of War launched, and The Coalition is celebrating with an update that brings about special events in Gears 5. Those include a special mode and associated rewards, along with a boost to help you level up and grab bonus stars faster.
According to the announcement, the anniversary week festivities bring back the Golden Gun mode from Gears 4. That mode rewards pinpoint precision, because hitting your target with a 6-round Boltok will be an instant kill. But you can't aim down sights, and if you miss, your reload will take extra-long. Make every shot count. The anniversary weekend (November 8-11) will also grant Double Stars in Tour, letting you boost your rank before Operation 2 launches. But you have to make sure to login on November 8 to get the three-day booster, along with an event-exclusive bloodspray.
This all comes alongside the latest title update, which among other things makes significant changes to the ranking system. The Coalition apologized for what it calls "a frustrating experience so far," and says this update will fix an issue causing a discrepancy between your Skill Points rating and your actual Skill Rating. It will also be resetting all ranks mid-season, and giving out a free Blood Moon Imago skin to make up for the inconvenience. You can check out the full patch notes below.
"Gears 5 is very much a return of those best elements of Gears of War, but with a focus on making the game feel somewhat more adaptive to your particular ways of playing," said Phil Hornshaw in GameSpot's review. "Whether you want campaign or co-op, Competitive or Quickplay, there's an option for you in Gears 5, and plenty of stuff to reward you for time spent and skill gained. Gears 5 might suffer from some of the same storytelling missteps as its predecessors, and it might not venture far out of the past, but the new ideas it brings to the series are all good reasons for fans to return."
Gears 5 Title Update 2 Patch Notes
- Improved the consistency of the Boomshot with changes to the behavior of the secondary ‘bomblets’
- Flashbangs will no longer affect players through cover
- Full fix for the drop weapon exploit, including re-enabling weapon drops
- Fixed a bug that could cause players to be perma-flashed in a match
- Fixed a bug that could cause Enemies in Escape to sometimes be unaffected by Flashes
- Fixed a bug causing the Weapon’s Locker to eat weapons in certain circumstances
- Added a new check to prevent players using certain low covers to shoot through walls, ignoring muzzle block
- Resolved an issue causing the Gnasher to have bullet magnetism while ADS when Aim Assist is disabled
- If no users vote for a map in Quickplay, the next choice will now default to a different map on the same mode rather than the same map
- Fixed a bug that caused players to have to wait a couple of seconds before being able to reload when Hijacking a Boomshot Scion
- Power granted at the start of the Horde match is no longer applied as Power Gained in Tour
- Sarah Connor: Enemies can now be gibbed when in one-shot range using her Ultimate
- Fixed an issue that could cause enemy AI to teleport and ‘double vault’ if their vault is countered
- Fixed an issue that could cause Scions to have a fully black model after being killed in Escape
- Players can no longer share Power with AI teammates
- Total Enemies Killed stat for Campaign now tracks correctly
- Escape Leaderboards no longer show ‘Top 0%’
- Resolved a state where audio could be lost in Act 4 in 3 player co-op
- Additional miscellaneous bug fixes