EA has "certainly heard the feedback" about Star Wars: Battlefront around its perceived lack of depth and the fact that it had no single-player campaign. Speaking at an investor event this week, EA VP of investor relations Chris Evenden said the teams working on the Battlefront sequel are aware of that feedback, though he stopped short of confirming how the follow-up will address those areas.
"Certainly, we heard the feedback," he said at the Barclays Global Technology, Media, and Telecommunications conference on Wednesday. "There we some comments around depth and single-player campaign. So we are aware of that feedback...but I wouldn't want to announce exactly how we've acted on that."
Evenden pointed out that, despite what some might have thought about Battlefront, it was a massively successful title. It's shipped more than 14 million copies, making it one of the best-performing Star Wars games in history. But there is always room to improve, it seems.
The fall 2017 Battlefront sequel has been discussed (it'll feature content from "the new movies") but has yet to be formally announced. Just last week, EA management said the follow-up will be "much bigger" than the first game.
DICE, which made the first game, is working on the sequel alongside Motive Studios. It remains to be seen what part of the game Motive is working on.
Earlier this year, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen acknowledged that Battlefront might have lacked depth for hardcore fans, in part because it was purposefully designed to be "accessible." In May, EA Studios boss Patrick Soderlund said DICE didn't make a campaign so it could have the game out in time for the release of the massively successful Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
"The one thing that we got criticized for was the lack of a single-player campaign," Soderlund said at the time. "It was conscious decision we made due to time and being able to launch the game side-by-side with the movie that came out to get the strongest possible impact.
"I think the team created a really good game based on the premise that we had. I would say the game has done very well for us and reached a very different demographic than a traditional EA game. So from that perspective, it's a success. Are we happy with the 75 rating? No. Is that something we're going to cure going forward? Absolutely."
If Battlefront 2 has a single-player campaign, that'll make Star Wars actor John Boyega happy, it seems, as he publicly called on EA to make a campaign.
In other Battlefront news, the game's Rogue One tie-in DLC, Rogue One: Scarif, launched this week for season pass owners. Get all the details about the expansion and the game's newest patch here.
What would you like to see from the Battlefront sequel? Let us know in the comments below!