Not even four-and-a-half years after launch, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be the final first-party title to come to the system. This was confirmed by Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, who spoke to Polygon following the Switch launch event in New York City Friday. “From a first-party standpoint, there's no new development coming after the launch of the legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” he said. “We really are at the end of life for Wii U.”
Fils-Aime said that Wii U titles will continue to be sold at retail and on the Nintendo eShop, and the company had not begun any discussion for sun setting online services for the console. “From our standpoint, sun setting is quite some time into the future. The ongoing activity from an online standpoint on [Mario] Kart and Splatoon is significant. We're going to continue to support that.”
That may include “Project Giant Robot,” a code name for a Shigeru Miyamoto-produced tech demo that first appeared alongside Star Fox Zero at E3 2014. Since then, the project hasn’t been seen since, aside from appearing on Nintendo’s quarterly upcoming games slate distributed to shareholders with a “TBD” next to its name. The game involved using a Wii U GamePad’s accelerometer and gyroscope to control a large robot, and knock over your opponent
In March of last year, Miyamoto told Time, “Project Giant Robot’ was something we started as a second project, and unfortunately we haven’t yet decided to turn that into a full game.”
Polygon has reached out to Nintendo to confirm the fate of that tech demo. Another demo, called “Project Guard,” was shown at the same time. That became Star Fox Guard, a pack-in game included with Zero that mutated the tower defense formula; players needed to use security cameras to stop waves of enemies attacking their base.