Reaction score
Sin$
You will need:
- Xbox360 Opened
- Xbox360 stock fan removed
- Two 60mm Ledfans
- Phillips driver
- Something to cut and strip wires
- Dremel, or anything sharp enough to cut the corners off of a plastic or metal fan

Start by taking the new ledfan and cut off the plug. Cut an extra inch off the blue wire (just to get it out of the way) and strip the ends of the red and black wires.

Set the fan into place, it fits right onto a little shelf like it belongs there. The bottom two screws just line up perfectly, which is good because the top isn't even close. It does stay in place well with only two screws, so that isn't a problem.

Repeat the process with the second fan, by preparing the wires and screwing it into place next to the first one.

Here is what it looks like from the outside of the shielding, you can see how the bottom two holes line up with the holes in the shielding.

Now take the stock fan unit, and cut the plug off. Leave an inch or two of wire on the plug so you have enough to reattach new wires to it. Strip all four wires.

To connect the ledfan wires to the stock plug, twist the wires together. I refer to the left fan as the one on the left in my images, the one closest to where the fans plug into the motherboard.

Left ledfan red -> Stock plug red
Left ledfan black -> Stock plug black
Right ledfan red -> Stock plug brown
Right ledfan black -> Stock plug blue

Here is what it looks like from the outside of the shielding, you can see how the bottom two holes line up with the holes in the shielding.

Once the wires are all twisted together, insulate the bare wires with shrink tubing or electrical tape. Now plug the fans into the motherboard.

Optional: 12v install
When you connect new ledfans to the stock fanplug, it allows the 360 to control the speed of the fans based on current need. That keeps the noise level down nicely, but most ledfans do not push as much air as the stock fans. If your 360 ever has overheating issues, or if you just want it to run a bit cooler, you should connect the fans directly to 12v. Connect the red wires to 12v and the black wires to ground. You can access 12v and ground by connecting onto the dvd power harness, or by soldering to the points underneath the motherboard:

Your fans are now installed. The only problem is that the fans will be in the way when you try to put the airscoop back on. The top outside corners need to be cut off to fix that problem. I had no problem clipping off the corners with a sharp wire snips with them still screwed to the shielding. You may want to hack off those corners with a dremel or another tool before you screw the fans to the shielding. You can see I just removed a little bit from each outside top corner:

---> NOTE: If you install metal ledfans, you will either have to hack the airscoop or dremel the corner off the fans!

The fans are now completely installed. You can put the airscoop back on, and re-assemble your 360. Here are a couple pictures of how the fans look when they're running:

R

ReX x MoDZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Awesome tutorial. I will try this tomorrow because I need to buy the fans.

M

mo2332

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That is a wonderful tutorial sir. I am glad you can feed my eager brain.

Sumo

Sumo

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
VIP
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Odysseus' Summit 5th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
looks great will try soon

D

Degexor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice, do you have an lik to where i can buy the Led fans you used?

ExternalHitman

ExternalHitman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
looks great im gonna probably go and buy some tomorrow for one of my new xbox's.

Scenezx

Scenezx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You could even simplify this guide.

Solder a molex connector to 12v point, put a splitter on the molex connector, attatch 2 60mm fans to the molex points.

Really good guide though, good work!

GyPsYxXj0hNnYxX

GyPsYxXj0hNnYxX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119021
Same ones he used I think

Top Bottom
Login
Register