What's new

Your (first or current) Programming Job?

A

Adderaw

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello all! I've recently got into this world of coding, hoping it's not to late at 24 year of age, I want to say this stuff is amazing and I wish I would of learned about it way earlier than I have.

This forums looks like a pretty solid place with a good group of people . So I'm looking forward to getting to know different people in the CP community!

Anyways, to the question.

How long did you take to learn about coding before your first or current computer programming job? And what is it you are doing in it, or the job title?

I really like all the creative side of coding, So I'm going to do what I can in learning HTML, CSS, and JS. Using places like FreeCodeCamp.com and maybe some others. Hope to hear from you guys!

WildeThing

WildeThing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It took me a solid few years before I got the level where I could confidently do freelance development (I'd say 3).
Since you mentioned front-end languages, just keep in mind there's a huge market for that but it's also being swallowed by online builders, templates, studios, etc. so you'll find it hard to find like big clients unless you have an established, and great, portfolio. Get experience and don't start too early or else you'll be surprised at how fast you have to work.

Also, for future reference, don't refer to here as the "CP community" it doesn't reflect well on all of us here. Thanks.

A

Adderaw

Reaction score
Sin$
I just mean on this part of the forums, it said computer programming. but alrighty. thanks for the info though!

S7 Pro

S7 Pro

Seasoned Member
Modder Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
Currently working as a Software Engineer in Test as an intern at a tech giant (I won't disclose for privacy reasons). It's really been amazing thus far, and it has dramatically affected how well I am at programming in general. I was good before, better than most of the computer science graduates at my university (I'm a sophomore and beat out seniors and juniors for the position), but I still lacked in some fields. Working here the last 6 months I have became so much more efficient at any programming task, have learned a LOT about software testing and just through testing I've learned all of the ins and outs of Python and Java. There is no replacement for actual field experience, I would have never imagined being this successful just learning in school and on my own. More about me, and as to why I got the job is as follows. I've been programming for nearly 4 years (I only count the last 1.5, didn't know a lot in the first 2.5), and launched a small software business where I did a lot of contract work and freelancing. The business helped me pay for my college tuition, and from there I really focused on learning more about any field I could in computer science. Learning how to do different things, even if you are lackluster and don't end up that well, still incredibly improves your experience, or at least in my case.

Top Bottom
Login
Register