Xbox 360 portable mods

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Hardware Customizations' started by jhax01, Apr 22, 2013 with 41 replies and 11,195 views.

1. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

Just started modding the xbox recently and still have a lot to learn on the RGH side of things. I've been working on making an "Xbox laptop" / portable based on the designs by Yung Jeezus and AllYourXboxNeeds after coming across their youtube channels a few weeks ago. Just putting that out there up front that I'm not claiming to have pioneered any of it. Though, I think I'm starting to get more original in the project I've started in the second vid. Lemme know what ya think!

Edited to add the current state of things.....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    aendr, THE QBN BEAST, 7s Ecky and 5 others like this.
  2. RaidersFan

RaidersFan 7S PokéMaster

oh wow....very good job man

3. Kush

Kush GTA IV Legend

That is yours? That is freaking awesome!!!! :smile:

4. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

Thanks guys! Still needs a lot of cosmetic work, but it's starting to get there... I'm chomping at the bit on the small one waiting for parts!!

5. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

Adding a worklog for my current build in progress....

I settled on using the complete monitor housing from an Asus Zenbook UX31E. Mostly because it's very, very thin. Also, using the whole laptop housing gives the added benefit of including Wi-Fi antennas. This is important because the Wi-Fi module will be inside an aluminum box, essentially.

[​IMG]

For materials, I'm using .080 thick Aluminum sheet in 3003 alloy for the tub and .125 thick aluminum sheet in 6061 alloy for the top plate. 3003 is fairly rigid while still being maleable enough for my purposes. The 6061 is *very* rigid and will provide a good, solid mounting plate for the monitor housing as well as provide structural support for the entire device.

To bend the tub into shape, I am using an 18" metal brake available from Harbor Freight for about $40. Because it's cheap and not the sturdiest thing ever, it is important to invest in a few clamps to make sure the piece doesn't move while it is being bent. And pretty much, the rule of thumb is if you have more room, add another clamp!

Since I have already gone so far as making the tub, I took a couple shots showing the metal brake and a typical setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as cutting and working the aluminum sheet goes -- woodworking tools do just fine. Be prepared to go through more blades than normal, but they make reasonably good cuts, etc... For myself, I just used a jigsaw to make cuts and an angle grinder to fine tune things -- though be careful with the grinder as it can take off more than you want in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

The completed tub:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing that confounded me initially was that you have to make sure that when you are calculating the outer dimensions that you factor in the thickness of the material and the radius of the bend. In my particular case, because the 3003 is soft enough, the bend radius was equivalent to the material thickness -- so for each side, I needed to account for .16 inches. (bend radius of .080 + material thickness of .080)

The top plate was made by just tracing the outline of the monitor housing on the aluminum and cutting. The housing hinges were then bolted to the top plate. Notice that both the top plate and tub are notched out to accomodate the hinge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point, I had to remove the actual lcd panel from the monitor housing because the stock lcd was both broken and not compatible with any LVDS driver board I could find. I settled on a Chimei panel N133-BGE-L41 which was in a frame, so I had to disassemble the panel to the bare sheets to get it to come even close to fitting. The Asus monitor housing is held together completely by glue so by using a hair dryer I was able to get the bezel off without bending it and installed the new panel. Unfortunately, it hasn't gone back together the way I would like because the panel, even disassembled, is still slightly too thick. I've since found another model of panel -- Chimei N133BGE-LB1 that is quite a bit thinner. I don't have any pictures of the previous LCD transplant operation, but when I get the new one, I'll show you how the monitor goes together.

Both of the panels are 1366x768 resolution, which is plenty for a 13 inch monitor. I wish I could have used a 1080p screen, but there just isn't an LVDS driver board available for a screen that small with that resolution.

Speaking of LVDS boards, here's the one I'm using -- it is specifically for 1366x768 13 inch screens using a 40 pin interface. Compatibility for raw panels is a bit of a bear to sift through as part numbers and manufacturers change frequently. In addition, most of the places that sell the raw panels are very stingy with data sheets and specs...

[​IMG]

At this point, I've turned my attention to the motherboard -- I've removed pretty much all the ports except the HDMI out and the power plug. I'll be using the VGA for the onboard monitor, but keeping the HDMI will allow me to plug it into a TV at a hotel if available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the other obstacles is obviously the huge stock heatsink. To solve this problem, I'm using an all copper model which I've cut to fit (Dynatron A48G 1U).

[​IMG]

Just today, I received some M3x5mm standoffs for use in the case. After testing for clearance, the heatsink has about 1mm to spare from the top plate which is pretty much perfect since I want to force as much airflow as possible through the fins, etc... My next steps are to get the motherboard fully mounted in the case so I can begin finalizing the placement of the other components (2 hard drives, LVDS board, audio amp, Rf board, and Wi-fi board) I'm also awaiting the arrival of the TX Demon so I can get to work on some soldering / modding...

6. err0r404s

err0r404s Enthusiast

Looks awesome man!

7. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

Thanks!

Received the TX Demon in the mail today so I worked on installing it. Unfortunately, they shipped me the Slim Post QSB instead of the Postfix adapter so I'm not yet able to glitch the console, but the Demon install went great and the 360 will boot stock from both the Demon NAND and the stock 360 NAND... Also stripped and soldered in the RF board so I could boot the console and test...

[​IMG]

The QSB went in reaaalllyyy easy; however, I should have paid closer attention when I was lining up the Demon itself. Some of the lower points were skewed which made it a little bit more difficult to solder successfully.

[​IMG]

The kit is well put together....

[​IMG]

RF Board....

[​IMG]

Still waiting on a couple parts, but it's coming along....

8. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

Received the Postfix adapter today so I installed the DGX / RGX and Postfix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's where I got ahead of myself a little -- I had seen a video where someone used a DGX and had Xell up through HDMI and I assumed it had been converted to an RGX device. So I loaded up JRunner, wrote the RGX files and the ECC to the Demon Nand, and tried to boot to Xell. I could tell the console was glitching, but no video...Well, of course, the HDMI out only works with the DGX and there's no going back once you convert. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal because you could just get the CPU key via the Ethernet scan, but I've already removed all of that stuff!

So after some research, I'm realizing that I kind of backed myself into a corner and my only real option is a COM monitor cable. And since I don't have a NAND-X USB cable, I did the next best thing I could -- make my own. It just so happens that for one of my BMW iBus hacking projects, I used a board to monitor the bus which translates from the bus itself to serial and then to USB. Perfect -- a bit more soldering and I had a working RS232 interface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now the console has been successfully RGH'd. It's booting in anywhere from 5-10 resets which is ok, but I'm going to see if I can tune it a little and speed it up a bit. I'm all ears if anyone has a suggestion on the best way to start.

Next I'm going to try soldering up the internal memory mod to add a 500GB HD for the RGH side only. From what I understand, because it's a non-4GB console, the HD will only show up on the glitch side which should help to keep things separate... Also going to rewire the Wi-Fi card and figure out the antenna situation -- this card is a little different than the last one I did.

9. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

So I pretty much have everything laid out the way I think it should be. I wired in the second hard drive to the J1D1 header, but it is recognized as an external USB drive on both the glitch and retail sides rather than internal memory. Not quite what I was hoping for, but it will still work ok. Still have to wire the wifi, vga board, and audio board as well as complete the corners on the case. I also plan to add one usb port to the side as well as an access plug for the Demon.

[​IMG]

10. Fanboy

Fanboy Live Free or Die!

If this is yours, good on you man great work.

11. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

Thanks, I think.... :confused: Lol, why would I post somebody else's project?

12. Red

Red #LoveStroth Diet Moderators

Nice project! I wanted to to this to my last RGH but I didn't know how or even where to start, good luck though I would like to see the finished console.

13. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

Thank you...I highly recommend that you check out the youtube channels of Yung Jeezus and AllYourXboxNeeds. After watching their stuff, that's when I decided I would take a stab at it as well. It's easier than you think!

Anyway....

I was able to complete some more work on the zenbox...Pretty much all the wiring is done and I have everything fitting in the case ok...Started doing some heat testing today with some disappointing results. Looks like I'm going to have to either readjust the way airflow enters the case or possibly look at some different heat sink options.

Wiring done and test booting retail and glitched...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything in and booting...the clamp is holding the top on because at this point I'm uncertain how things are going to pan out heat-wise so I haven't working on finalizing mounting locations, etc... Sorry for the cruddy pics, someday maybe I will invest in a real camera...lol...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Short vid...

14. HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven CR4's!!!!! Premium

awesome project, once completed you should post a tut to follow. i think everyone would love to have one of these

15. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

Thanks...Funny you should mention that -- I'm waiting on some parts that will hopefully solve my cooling problem with the zenbox and decided to redesign the first one that I made (the 17 inch) in a similar style, but documenting a little more closely on the case construction and wiring...

Here's another round of heat testing on the ZenBox -- more or less proves that no matter how much air is moving through the case itself, there needs to be air blown directly through the fins on the heatsink. In retrospect, I should have guessed this would be needed given that "real" laptops are designed that way. The space is just too small to do it any other way. So I have a couple different types of low profile, side exit fans on the way and hopefully one of those will work...

16. Intel

Intel I'm #Magical.

I'm speech less... You sir deserve a award... Make a couple of these (3) And sell them for ~1.5K each :tongue:

17. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

There are a few modders who already do...Yikes! I'd rather just show people how they might be able to do it for themselves... If you want to see some really put together ones, check out "Yung Jeezus" on youtube -- he's pretty much the one I've modeled all this stuff after.

18. D4rkD4ni

D4rkD4ni Enthusiast

Great work mate!!!!

19. Southy

Southy Vice City <3 Premium

Fair play, that's awesome.

20. jhax01

jhax01 Enthusiast

I was able to overcome the cooling issues by making a hole over the heatsink, swapping out the fans for some higher cfm ones, and putting baffles along the back to make sure that the air is funneled over the heatsink. Also spent some time getting the speakers / amp wired in as well as the ROL. I've done the bottom in black vinyl for now, but will eventually add some color to help disguise the MANY imperfections, etc... Someone with more patience/artistic ability could certainly make it look a lot better, but, for me, function > form....

[​IMG]

I also added some buttons on the side for Volume UP/DOWN and Sync (which also switches the NANDs)....Tried to keep them as stealth as possible for a clean look...

[​IMG]

HDMI out...I still may add a USB port on this side, but for now I haven't needed it...

[​IMG]

The whole thing is just under 1.28 inches thick -- I don't know of anyone who has made a smaller one.... TBH it could be a little thinner -- I believe my top plate is a little bit unnecessarily thick and the bottom case could be 1mm shorter and still clear the heatsink and power input.

[​IMG]

Still have a couple things to do -- some more vinyl on the case and rework the LCD bezel. I've tried a couple different double-sided tapes available locally, but they eventually start losing their grip and allow the bezel edges to lift a little. I've ordered some sticky tape from overseas specifically made for the job, but will have to wait a couple weeks to get it. I also have to decide what to do on the top cover, ie vinyl or paint, etc...

I've also started reworking the 17" one that I showed at the start of the thread to make it similarly thin -- although the 17s monitor will add some overall thickness. For this one, there will definitely be some external usb ports as well as the kinect port....

Here's how I made the case: