*links thread with benchmarks that show 970 out-performing 8GB 290x at 4k*

kk hun lel

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
*sigh* I'm done. You're uneducated, and an AMD fan boy. It's that simple. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time.
Its not being fanboy when the AMD card is better.

You still have yet to show one single bench of GTA V (Nvidia optimized game) where the 970 is better than the 290X on the GTA drivers. You show me charts from unknown review and won't link me the source that shows old drivers. I used benchmarks from known popular benchmarking sites showing the 290X won.

If the 970 was even close to the 290X it would win in the Nvidia optimized game.

What happens when both cards on GTA drivers?
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gta_v_pc_graphics_performance_review,5.html
http://www.eteknix.com/gta-v-gpu-performance-review/3/
http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page3.html

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
Its not being fanboy when the AMD card is better.

You still have yet to show one single bench of GTA V (Nvidia optimized game) where the 970 is better than the 290X on the GTA drivers. You show me charts from unknown review and won't link me the source that shows old drivers. I used benchmarks from known popular benchmarking sites showing the 290X won.

If the 970 was even close to the 290X it would win in the Nvidia optimized game.
It's not better.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
It's not better.
Show me one benchmark of the 15.4 drivers and the 290X losing to the 970.

If the 970 cannot even win on the Nvidia game its way worse performance, more espensive and also has crap GPU scaling.

I provided benchmarks to prove it. He linked benchmarks from unknown review sites and won't list the source.
If the drivers are not using 15.4 it means its not the game ready driver for AMD so there is no GTA profile which is obvious because all other benches show the 290X destroying the 970 when both cards use game ready drivers.

Its easy to get your channel funded by Nvidia if you rig benchmarks by using old AMD drivers its a known old method and even done by popular utubers like LinusTechTips (who is well known for spreading misinformation on many issues as well)

$270 for the Sapphire Tri-X 290X (far superior to the reference 290X and better than any 970)
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003612sr

Single cards = Titan X > 980 > 8GB 290X > 4GB 290X > 970 = 290
Dual Cards high res = Titan X > 8GB 290X > 980 > 4gb 290X > 780 ti > 970
Price performance ratio on the 8gb 290X is insane.

Future Single cards 390X > Titan X > 980 Ti > 980 > 290

but the 980 TI will be better than Titan due to price.

Do you even remember when the 970 first came out before even ramgate we knew the 970 seemed weak compared to the specs Nvidia claimed

As they claimed it had the same rops and bandwidth as the 980 with only 23% more TU on the 980 and 23% more Shading Units on the 980 with the specs showing it was on part with the card it didn't seem to do it in benchmarks

After Ramgate we found out we had 15% less rops, 15% less cache, and 15% less bandwidth as well which they didn't tell us.

Last edited:
L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
Show me one benchmark of the 15.4 drivers and the 290X losing to the 970.

If the 970 cannot even win on the Nvidia game its way worse performance, more espensive and also has crap GPU scaling.

I provided benchmarks to prove it. He linked benchmarks from unknown review sites and won't list the source.
If the drivers are not using 15.4 it means its not the game ready driver for AMD so there is no GTA profile which is obvious because all other benches show the 290X destroying the 970 when both cards use game ready drivers.

Its easy to get your channel funded by Nvidia if you rig benchmarks by using old AMD drivers its a known old method and even done by popular utubers like LinusTechTips (who is well known for spreading misinformation on many issues as well)

$270 for the Sapphire Tri-X 290X (far superior to the reference 290X and better than any 970)
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-1003612sr

Single cards = Titan X > 980 > 8GB 290X > 4GB 290X > 970 = 290
Dual Cards high res = Titan X > 8GB 290X > 980 > 4gb 290X > 780 ti > 970
Price performance ratio on the 8gb 290X is insane.

Future Single cards 390X > Titan X > 980 Ti > 980 > 290

but the 980 TI will be better than Titan due to price.
How come you're so sure on the cards that aren't even released yet?

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
How come you're so sure on the cards that aren't even released yet?

We know the specs of the 980 TI & 390X on everything other than clock speeds. The Titan X core will be similar power to the 390X however having half the bandwidth is going to be a huge factor.

The 980 Ti is the same board as a Titan X but its going to have different memory configuration. It will be about $700-750 suggested retail price.

We know the specs of the cards and we have seen 1.2 architecture from AMD. Similar to how we new the 980 performance after we had the specs.

Look at the old rumor articles about estimating the 980 performance after specs leaks the 980 was within 1% performance of the guesses. The 970 under performed based on specs but that was because we had the wrong specs (nvidia lied)

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
We know the specs of the 980 TI & 390X on everything other than clock speeds. The Titan X core will be similar power to the 390X however having half the bandwidth is going to be a huge factor.

The 980 Ti is the same board as a Titan X but its going to have different memory configuration. It will be about $700-750 suggested retail price.

We know the specs of the cards and we have seen 1.2 architecture from AMD. Similar to how we new the 980 performance after we had the specs.

Look at the old rumor articles about estimating the 980 performance after specs leaks the 980 was within 1% performance of the guesses. The 970 under performed based on specs but that was because we had the wrong specs (nvidia lied)
$700 for a single card. Pathetic really. Again... I'd rather go SLI, it's cheaper. Price/performance etc.

Sanctorum

Sanctorum

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
"unknown sites" lol, get out. Just because you look up AMD fan boy benchmarks doesn't make every other legitimate site "unknown". You clearly have terrible eyesight and I'm genuinely concerned for you because the benchmarks on your own thread show the 970 out-performing the 8GB 290x at 4k. P.S. Yes, a single GTX 970 will easily perform the same, and even better than a single 980 in some cases. Reference 980 vs aftermarket 970-970 wins at either stock speeds, or a light overclock. Single 970 with a little bit of overclocking will perform as well as a single 980 at stock speeds. This scales fairly well in SLI, so 3-way SLI 980 vs 3-way SLI 970, the 970 is still very close in performance, especially at lower resolutions but still to an extent at higher resolutions. $270 after rebates is not $270. It's a $290 card. We know leaked info about 300 series and 980Ti but nothing has been confirmed. Remember when we had leaks for 970 and that turned out to have the bulls*** with the VRAM? You're literally contradicting yourself in the same sentence. Smfh. Specs don't prove anything though, real world benchmarks will. You have literally no idea how unreleased cards are actually going to perform in game so don't pretend like you do.

C

Cloudraker

Reaction score
Sin$
Im just popping in to see if the OP is satisfied with the answers they recieved or if more elaboration is needed.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
$700 for a single card. Pathetic really. Again... I'd rather go SLI, it's cheaper. Price/performance etc.
SLI 970 cost about 700 (if you get good coolers) and dual cards run into a lot of problems on Nvidia and AMD (Crossfire is a bit better than SLI with lower latency but both are riddled with issues).

The 980 TI and 390X are basically flag ship cards the top of the line consumers will actually be able to buy. Both will give performance similar to a 295x2 but on a single card.

You don't get better performance on SLI/CF than you do with a higher end single card.

Not every game even has SLI/CF support either and even many that do run into issues.

Dual cards introduces more latency and you get issues like micro-stuttering, compatibility issues, windowed mode (try running games on border-less window and lose 25% FPS)

"unknown sites" lol, get out. Just because you look up AMD fan boy benchmarks doesn't make every other legitimate site "unknown". You clearly have terrible eyesight and I'm genuinely concerned for you because the benchmarks on your own thread show the 970 out-performing the 8GB 290x at 4k. P.S. Yes, a single GTX 970 will easily perform the same, and even better than a single 980 in some cases. Reference 980 vs aftermarket 970-970 wins at either stock speeds, or a light overclock. Single 970 with a little bit of overclocking will perform as well as a single 980 at stock speeds. This scales fairly well in SLI, so 3-way SLI 980 vs 3-way SLI 970, the 970 is still very close in performance, especially at lower resolutions but still to an extent at higher resolutions. $270 after rebates is not $270. It's a $290 card. We know leaked info about 300 series and 980Ti but nothing has been confirmed. Remember when we had leaks for 970 and that turned out to have the bulls*** with the VRAM? You're literally contradicting yourself in the same sentence. Smfh. Specs don't prove anything though, real world benchmarks will. You have literally no idea how unreleased cards are actually going to perform in game so don't pretend like you do.

Those benches I linked comparing the 970 to 290X were not 4k benchmarks that was a separate thread and comparing CF to SLI in which case CF 290X beat CF 980's.

And the 970 is not close to the 980 unless your running games at 1080p with no AA and no advanced settings.

Specs affect the benchmarks we already know about how good performance to expect for the 390X and we know pretty much perfect on how the 980 ti will do.

If you don't know how good the cards will do you don't follow news on the cards we know for a fact the 980 ti is based on the same board as the Titan and we know its 6gb vram its a cut Titan X for cheaper.

We know the 390X is going to be based off 1.2 architecture which was shown with the 285 and we know all of the specs of the card other than clock speeds.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
SLI 970 cost about 700 (if you get good coolers) and dual cards run into a lot of problems on Nvidia and AMD (Crossfire is a bit better than SLI with lower latency but both are riddled with issues).

The 980 TI and 390X are basically flag ship cards the top of the line consumers will actually be able to buy. Both will give performance similar to a 295x2 but on a single card.

You don't get better performance on SLI/CF than you do with a higher end single card.

Not every game even has SLI/CF support either and even many that do run into issues.

Dual cards introduces more latency and you get issues like micro-stuttering, compatibility issues, windowed mode (try running games on border-less window and lose 25% FPS)

Those benches I linked comparing the 970 to 290X were not 4k benchmarks that was a separate thread and comparing CF to SLI in which case CF 290X beat CF 980's.

And the 970 is not close to the 980 unless your running games at 1080p with no AA and no advanced settings.

Specs affect the benchmarks we already know about how good performance to expect for the 390X and we know pretty much perfect on how the 980 ti will do.
If you don't know how good the cards will do you don't follow news on the cards we know for a fact the 980 ti is based on the same board as the Titan and we know its 6gb vram its a cut Titan X for cheaper.

We know the 390X is going to be based off 1.2 architecture which was shown with the 285 and we know all of the specs of the card other than clock speeds.
Who cares about micro-stuttering? And who cares about windowed mode? That would be silly anyway. If you didn't get better performance then there's no point in going SLI. Of course you do.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
You should also check forums of people b****ing about their Kepler cards (700 series) performing like **** on new games. Nvidia neglects people on 1 series gone they just expect people to keep upgrading every 6 months.

Who cares about micro-stuttering? And who cares about windowed mode? That would be silly anyway. If you didn't get better performance then there's no point in going SLI. Of course you do.
Have you ever used a CF/SLI machine?

Because benchmarks in many games show better FPS than single cards do you look at frame latency? Do you listen to what the reviewers say about the experiance in CF/SLI?

Microstuttering is when your screen won't display the new frames because of the variance between 2 frames rendering so while you may be at 60fps your not seeing 60 frames on your screen its going to feel like ****.

Microstuttering, Screen tearing, frame latency, and many other issues arise from SLI/CF especially games without SLI/CF support.

I am not saying CF/SLI are bad its often necessary for people who wanna play on 4k or multi monitors however if your trying to say oh look the 295x2 is the same frame rates in GTA V as the 390X that means I should buy that would be a stupid argument.

Freesync & Gsync are actually designed to fix many issues with frame times which will affect CF/SLI users even moreso than regular users but neither technology is really there yet and Gsync cost extra 200 bucks while freesync isn't going to cost much its going to be a while before freesync monitors are more available.

And I care about running games in borderless window I do not like fullscreen or alt tab issues.

Remember FPS is less important than frame latency some games that are crappy optimized like Survarium even when I get 60FPS I feel severe frame latency at times.

Last edited:
Sanctorum

Sanctorum

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
You're so full of crap. You literally don't have a clue what you're talking about. I don't care what you're thread was for, whether it was for showing Xfire benchmarks or not, it literally proved that the 970 out-performs the 8GB 290x, you know, exactly what you're arguing against, but your own thread proves you wrong. Windowed mode borderless is bs, I have SLI 970s and I don't lose 25% performance, regardless of how I play. An overclocked 970 out-performs a 980 at stock speeds at any resolution, the gap just becomes smaller at higher resolutions, obviously but even at 4k, or 5760x1080, a single 970 with a decent overclock will out-perform a 980 at stock speeds, the 980 was a flop. It's a terrible card and not worth the cost, at all. We have no idea how the 390x or 980Ti will perform because leaked specs aren't always right, don't pretend like you know stuff that really, you don't have a clue about.

"If you don't know how good the cards will do you don't follow news on the cards"
No, that's not what it means. It means I'm a realist and I pay no attention to leaks, but since you're so adamant leaks are always correct, I have one for you. I hear they're going to release a GTX 985Ti and it's going to have 24GB VRAM, but it's going to be a triple chip GPU. Does that mean that's going to happen just because I've ****ing said it? No, it doesn't. Stop being such an uneducated fan boy.

"Have you ever used a CF/SLI machine?"
I have and I have no issues with it. SLI and Xfire are fine now. Much better than it used to be. Also, you're trying to say that AMD cards are much better in multi GPU setups and then you're bashing multi GPU setups, great logic right?

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
"If you don't know how good the cards will do you don't follow news on the cards"
No, that's not what it means. It means I'm a realist and I pay no attention to leaks, but since you're so adamant leaks are always correct, I have one for you. I hear they're going to release a GTX 985Ti and it's going to have 24GB VRAM, but it's going to be a triple chip GPU. Does that mean that's going to happen just because I've ****ing said it? No, it doesn't. Stop being such an uneducated fan boy.

All 3 benchmarks I posted from reputable sites showed the 970 losing at 1080p in GTA (gameworks game). If the 970 loses in a gameworks game that is proof its a **** card. Any Nvidia card should beat an AMD card that is 10% stronger in gameworks games. Gameworks features are designed to run worse on non Nvidia cards. AMD has better computer but worse tessellation remember in Crysis 2 Nvidia cranking up tessellation on stuff under the map u couldn't see? This isn't new behavior its Nvidia behavior and when even in their games their cards lose its a **** card.

Your comparing an overclocked card to a stock clock card well if you wanna argue that how about the Sapphire 290X (cheapest 290X atm also) overclocks like a dream.

The 970 oc may beat a stock 980 but overclock a 980 it stomps the 970 oc.

And about the 980 ti/390x

The specs are confirmed. Nvidia confirmed the 980 ti is a cut titan X. AMD confirmed the 4000 GCN cores, 8gb hbm memory and 640gb/s bandwidth on the 390X. Did you even watch the webcast from AMD about the 300 series?

These are not ****ing rumors they are facts.

The only thing we don't know are clock speeds.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
The 970 oc may beat a stock 980 but overclock a 980 it stomps the 970 oc.
Still not worth the extra cost for a bit of clock speed and performance increase. It would be better to go SLI on the 970 card rather than purchasing a single 980 when a 970 OC'd matches a factory clock speed of the 980 as you say. FYI: It doesn't stomp the 970 OC really.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Still not worth the extra cost for a bit of clock speed and performance increase. It would be better to go SLI on the 970 card rather than purchasing a single 980 when a 970 OC'd matches a factory clock speed of the 980 as you say. FYI: It doesn't stomp the 970 OC really.

980 wasn't really made to be price performance ratio its allowed to cost a **** ton because its a strong single card they wanted to get it out before the 980 TI to milk more money.

I agree the 980 isn't a great price effective card I would prefer CF 8gb 290X over a single 980 however if I were going on a single 980 vs sli 970 I would say no. Sli 970 are like 12% better than a single 980 at 1440p + running into dual card issues no thanks.

The 8gb 290X is pointless on single cards though as you won't benefit from 8gb ram on a single card with that low bandwidth (similar to Titan X issue.)

SLI 970 is being replaced by a single 980 TI.
CF 290X is being replaced by a single 390X.

Single cards getting similar FPS to CF rigs are always better if you want a smoothing game experience rather than saying I get 3 higher FPS but worse experience.

Last edited:
L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
SLI 970 is being replaced by a single 980 TI.
CF 290X is being replaced by a single 390X.

Single cards getting similar FPS to CF rigs are always better if you want a smoothing game experience rather than saying I get 3 higher FPS but worse experience.
Yes but I was talking about 980s not TIs.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes but I was talking about 980s not TIs.
Well I agree the 980 isn't cost effective card but its still stronger than the 970 by a decent amount

On single reference cards the 980 @ 1080p is about 10-15% performance over a 970 and about 5-10% over a 290X. The 290X has the best improvements on aftermarket models (The Tri-X/VaporX) but the 980 is still the best single card excluding stupidly priced cards (Titan X).

Because the 980 is the best its allowed to charge more I think its **** price performance ratio and wouldn't buy it but its designed this way for a reason.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
Well I agree the 980 isn't cost effective card but its still stronger than the 970 by a decent amount

On single reference cards the 980 @ 1080p is about 10-15% performance over a 970 and about 5-10% over a 290X. The 290X has the best improvements on aftermarket models (The Tri-X/VaporX) but the 980 is still the best single card excluding stupidly priced cards (Titan X).

Because the 980 is the best its allowed to charge more I think its **** price performance ratio and wouldn't buy it but its designed this way for a reason.
Not if it's OC'd.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Not if it's OC'd.
The 980 OC gets good performance as well.

And the Sapphire 290X gets bigger impact from OC than either card.

Saying the 970 is better than the 980 because OC is like saying the 290 is better than a 290X because the 290 OC beats a stock clocked 290. The difference between cards are comparable as well. You can overclock the 980 just as good as a 970.

And at 1080p its 980 > 290X > 970 > 290. Plus the 290 will last longer it supports more DX12 features and Nvidia has a bad track record for keeping old gen cards up to date in many games today the 960 is on par with a 770 and some games it even beats the 780 (non ti version) despite being a way weaker card just due to nvidia's lack of driver optimization for kepler.

Remember the 290 was weaker than the 780 for a long time however not so much anymore.

900 series is not DX12 Tier 3
AMD GCN 1.0 Archtecture is DX12 Tier 3 compliant

That means the Radeon HD 7750 from February 2012 supports more DX12 features than the Titan X.

And AMD keeps optimizing drivers for the 7750 which still see's gains in performance unlike the 700 series.

Top Bottom
Login
Register