What's new

Discussion Windows 10 CBT-Locker Ransomware Scam - Be careful!

• Thread starter Cakes
  • Start date
  • Views 932
Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
I decided to make a separate thread for this, and not directly include it in the Windows 10 support thread. This issue is somewhat big as if you do fall for it, you're probably gonna want to slap yourself.

In short, there are fake emails being sent around regarding the launch of Windows 10 on Wednesday. The fake email consists of having the recipient download a ZIP archive that will allow them to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. The email is, as expected, themed the same way a legit Microsoft email would be. When you install the program from the ZIP archive, you'll now be stuck with the CBT-locker Ransomware application.

What the application basically does is encrypt your files after x amount of time if a payment is not made. Obviously it would be almost impossible to decrypt your files if this actually happens to you. SO BE CAREFUL. Check the SHA1 hashes of your downloads against a reliable source!

I suggest you guys read the full article here.

Operating System
  1. Windows
Sallos

Sallos

Stickied Mythical Veteran Bug Finder
Reaction score
Sin$
I never get any of these fake email scam things. Still, thanks for the heads up!

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
There are a few anti ransomware tools for those who do get them, it tries to decrypt data using brute force though :/

Top Bottom
Login
Register