Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeeper

Jeeper

Jeeper of Rivia
Seasoned Veteran Mr. Nice Guy Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks, I like both AMD and NVIDIA, but I'm leaning towards the NVIDIA.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
If you want the nvidia card then why compare?

Green team ftw

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
nVidia all the way lmao.

A comparable card to the 970 would be the 290x. A comparable card to the 980 would be the 390x I guess.

The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$

R9 290/x/390/x and that's it so far.

Wait a minute and you'll see the Fury Cards by AMD which you can compare to the 980. The 290x and 390x are not really comparable to the 980 still

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
The 290X/390X has very similar performance to the 970 and performance reasonably close to the 980. If you have the budget for a 980, it may be worth waiting to see how the Fury performs.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
R9 290/x/390/x and that's it so far.

Wait a minute and you'll see the Fury Cards by AMD which you can compare to the 980. The 290x and 390x are not really comparable to the 980 still
390X is slightly better than the 980 and more future proof
290X is slightly better than the 970 and more future proof.
Fury X is BETTER than the 980 ti and more future proof
Fury non X is unknown performance likely slightly lower than 980ti but more future proof.

The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
390X is slightly better than the 980 and more future proof
290X is slightly better than the 970 and more future proof.
Fury X is BETTER than the 980 ti and more future proof
Fury non X is unknown performance likely slightly lower than 980ti but more future proof.

wuuuuuuuuu.....

I haven't seen any benchmarks which say the 390x is as good as the 980

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
wuuuuuuuuu.....

I haven't seen any benchmarks which say the 390x is as good as the 980

It handles every game at 1440p like a champ. Many settings in game were baised towards nvidia settings slightly (things like HBAO) but the 390x still shined. The bandwidth bottlenecks the 980.

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/r9-390x-benchmarks.1340246/

There is also a note in many of the benches saying
Note: the 290/290X results are based on an older driver set, we still need to re-benchmark these. Performance should be in the 70's at WHQD.

They had the old benchmarks for the older cards from previous benches with older drivers.

Card runs cooler than the 970 but takes more power.

Jeeper

Jeeper

Jeeper of Rivia
Reaction score
Sin$
290x around £270.

390x around £330.
USD is my currency but thanks anyways. 
It handles every game at 1440p like a champ. Many settings in game were baised towards nvidia settings slightly (things like HBAO) but the 390x still shined. The bandwidth bottlenecks the 980.

Note: the 290/290X results are based on an older driver set, we still need to re-benchmark these. Performance should be in the 70's at WHQD.

They had the old benchmarks for the older cards from previous benches with older drivers.
Oh okay, I've never heard of this "Fury X" card. Has it released?

The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$

Well I guess you can't tell if someone's tests are reliable until you do them yourself. I've never seen a 290x near any 980s until now.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I guess you can't tell if someone's tests are reliable until you do them yourself. I've never seen a 290x near any 980s until now.
290X > 970
390X > 980

The 290X will not beat the 980 in most games.
The 390X will

It is a rebrand but its higher quality silicone and much better quality ram which better overclocking potential and huge stock clock gains. 
USD is my currency but thanks anyways. 

Oh okay, I've never heard of this "Fury X" card. Has it released?

Fury X comes out in 2 days its AMD's new flagship its the first GPU to use HBM vram which can be up to 9x faster than GDDR5 (The card will only have double the bandwidth of gddr5 cards).

HBM allows the cards to be much smaller, consume less power, perform faster and in the future will allow higher amounts of vram. At this time its limited to 1gb per stack and early fiji cards will only have 4gb hbm vram however they are expected to have 8gb models by fall/winter.

Fury X will cost $650 and come with an AIO closed loop water cooler (which is designed to disperse DOUBLE the heat of the Fury X)

From a reviewer who has a Fury X but has let out very little information (he is under NDA until the 24th) he has stated

"Cooler is superb, normal gaming around 35c load, sub 40 benchmarking and very quiet."
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28208377&postcount=1220

He also noted that at this time you cannot overclock the memory on the card (Core clock still can overclock) but it may be an issue with MSIafterburner or something or the card may be locked or something.

Last edited:
The_Notorious_BIG

The_Notorious_BIG

NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
Reaction score
Sin$
290X > 970
390X > 980

The 390X will

It is a rebrand but its higher quality silicone and much better quality ram which better overclocking potential and huge stock clock gains.

Well, these Fury cards should wipe 980Tis and Titans off the top very easily if simply a re brand can beat a 980. lol

Jeeper

Jeeper

Jeeper of Rivia
Reaction score
Sin$
290X > 970
390X > 980

The 390X will

Fury X comes out in 2 days its AMD's new flagship its the first GPU to use HBM vram which can be up to 9x faster than GDDR5 (The card will only have double the bandwidth of gddr5 cards).

HBM allows the cards to be much smaller, consume less power, perform faster and in the future will allow higher amounts of vram. At this time its limited to 1gb per stack and early fiji cards will only have 4gb hbm vram however they are expected to have 8gb models by fall/winter.

Fury X will cost $650 and come with an AIO closed loop water cooler (which is designed to disperse DOUBLE the heat of the Fury X)

From a reviewer who has a Fury X but has let out very little information (he is under NDA until the 24th) he has stated

"Cooler is superb, normal gaming around 35c load, sub 40 benchmarking and very quiet."
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28208377&postcount=1220

He also noted that at this time you cannot overclock the memory on the card (Core clock still can overclock) but it may be an issue with MSIafterburner or something or the card may be locked or something.
That sounds like a wonderful card, I'm going to find a build for it...

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, these Fury cards should wipe 980Tis and Titans off the top very easily if simply a re brand can beat a 980. lol

Well specwise the 980 isn't that high if you actually look at it compared to like the 780 ti at a similar price point which was a faster card than the 980 but by a very small amount the 980ti is a HUGE gain over the 980 I was really puzzled when I saw the huge markup on the 980 but then the 980 ti had a little markup for the cost.

980 card was the worst price performance card Nvidia has released in a long *** time. The 980 ti was probably the best price performance ratio they have had in years.

Single cards for 1440p gaming are important when I see the 980ti destroying 1440p I think its great however when I see 4k benchmarks Nvidia needs to get on that they have never been close to AMD in high res gaming solutions in years.

The Fury X should beat a Titan at a price point of the 980 ti and because AMD was first to jump on HBM ram this may be the biggest lead GPU's have had in a while for flagship cards.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
That sounds like a wonderful card, I'm going to find a build for it...
The 390X is expected by many to take a price drop to about 400ish or a bit lower and many are still going with the cheaper 290X unless your planning on 1440p+ gaming due to the low price of 290X.

The Fury Nano will be released July 14 for $550 which is when people are expecting current cards to get a bit of a drop due to price performance ratio of the nano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register