• Views 4,085
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Make an XF plugin specifically designed for it. You won't get anywhere hacking together ****.

PS: Open source is actually better especially if it's made by a random member
There's already a plugin, I remember talking to Nix about it.

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's not that, it's better for security purposes. I personally know 7s will not distribute a program that passes secure user credentials without having access to the source and compiling it themselves.
We're talking about how OP is using GitHub. Unless OP pays for a private repository, anyone can download the source, remove any form of authentication and compile it. Do you mean open source to developers or everyone? If it's open to everyone, there's no point in passing any form of credentials.

Fire30

Fire30

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
We're talking about how OP is using GitHub. Unless OP pays for a private repository, anyone can download the source, remove any form of authentication and compile it. Do you mean open source to developers or everyone? If it's open to everyone, there's no point in passing any form of credentials.
He is authing with the site... not the app, so removing authentication does nothing except not let you log in...

Xeren

Xeren

♦♦♦ God Complex ♦♦♦
Legendary Veteran Programmer Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
He is authing with the site... not the app, so removing authentication does nothing except not let you log in...
That's what I was thinking. I am confused as to what they are exactly arguing about.

Visual Studio

Visual Studio

The Original Shiba Inu
Odysseus' Summit Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
Anyone could make an application to steal user information pretending to be associated with se7ensins. If it's open source then people that are scared that it will steal their info can just inspect/compile it themselves. The _xfToken would have to be passed either way if the ability to grab notifications and/or messages is implemented, so a login would be required or the manual paste'ing of the token.

Flater

Flater

Contributor
Experienced Veteran Greeter Chatty Kathy
Reaction score
Sin$
Good luck on stealing premium accounts! You have my vouch! :wink:

XBLToothPik

XBLToothPik

Contributor
Programmer Modder Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Sin$
Let's do some arithmetic, granted I am **** at it.
1 hr = 3600s
3600 / 10 = 360 requests per hour (every 10 seconds).
My alert full size: 5.5kb response in JSON
360 * 5.5 = 1980kb = 1.98mb /hr
So if you had a script running that checked every 10 seconds, it'd effectively be transferring like (1.98 * 24) 47.52mb a day at most I reckon. I don't do much server admin but that seems quite high. Saying that, you might not even be using it for more than like 2 hours a day in-which case it's like 4mb.
If any of my math was wrong, anyone, correct me.

Yea, the data would need to be shortened for sure. You could make a server to be the middle man to take out all that data usage on the user's end though.

Ways to shorten the data:
- Have a secondary server return shortened data to be the middle man
- Have a server return the data in a binary format and compressed.

Visual Studio

Visual Studio

The Original Shiba Inu
Odysseus' Summit Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
Yea, the data would need to be shortened for sure. You could make a server to be the middle man to take out all that data usage on the user's end though.

Ways to shorten the data:
- Have a secondary server return shortened data to be the middle man
- Have a server return the data in a binary format and compressed.
Either way the website (se7ensins.com) is going to be dealing out the same amount of data regardless of how you do it so that wouldn't work for mitigating the problem here which is se7ensins sending out too much data.

Last edited:
Sumo

Sumo

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
VIP
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Odysseus' Summit 5th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$

Authentication is done with the site, the app would retrieve login token, username, etc.

Stilldabomb

Stilldabomb

Personal Terrorist
Reaction score
Sin$
Authentication is done with the site, the app would retrieve login token, username, etc.
Yeah, his little spiel about removing authentication was pointless from the beginning. If you removed auth, where is the information going to come from?

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You're still missing the point.
>OP claims open source
>authentication
>wut

I could just fork the repo, remove the authentication and recompile and sit there pondering why there would be authentication in the first place.
Stilldabomb Stilldabomb You also have no idea what I'm hinting at. OP says this is going on github. ANYONE could bypass auth so there's no point anyway. You guys know how public repos work, right? 
I will send my source to anyone who cares to help out. I will upload the source to GitHub soon...
Sumo Sumo and Stilldabomb Stilldabomb
This is what I'm getting at.

Stilldabomb

Stilldabomb

Personal Terrorist
Reaction score
Sin$
You're still missing the point.
>OP claims open source
>authentication
>wut

I could just fork the repo, remove the authentication and recompile and sit there pondering why there would be authentication in the first place.
Stilldabomb Stilldabomb You also have no idea what I'm hinting at. OP says this is going on github. ANYONE could bypass auth so there's no point anyway. You guys know how public repos work, right? 

Sumo Sumo and Stilldabomb Stilldabomb
This is what I'm getting at.
Are you mentally ill, explain what happens when the auth gets removed, what then? 
ObscureCoder ObscureCoder you obviously don't know what this app is meant to do.

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It connects to this website to make viewing the forums easier to read, and to make them "faster". removing auth would just make a pointless app...
Tl;dr then. OP never mentioned this in op. I never read replies. Woops. This shouldn't be on github then. Is there even an api for s7

Stilldabomb

Stilldabomb

Personal Terrorist
Reaction score
Sin$
Tl;dr then. OP never mentioned this in op. I never read replies. Woops. This shouldn't be on github then. Is there even an api for s7
There's no tl;dr about it. It's three sentences and a picture, and the app is quite obvious. This being on github really doesn't matter as it's going to be forced public source anyways. We haven't gotten any official word on a public api NixFifty AzzidReign Hovi Victory

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
There's no tl;dr about it. It's three sentences and a picture, and the app is quite obvious. This being on github really doesn't matter as it's going to be forced public source anyways. We haven't gotten any official word on a public api NixFifty AzzidReign Hovi Victory
I meant the other connotation of tl. I meant too late.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
There is no public API, also, I still don't see the purpose of this.

Stilldabomb

Stilldabomb

Personal Terrorist
Reaction score
Sin$
There is no public API, also, I still don't see the purpose of this.
I don't really either, but it seems interesting. I'd rather like an iOS app because it seems interesting lol

Sumo

Sumo

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
VIP
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Odysseus' Summit 5th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm pretty sure ObscureCoder ObscureCoder is kyle june or something. Anyways I rate his trolling 6.5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register