Two red rings after x-clamp fix

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support' started by FlammableFun, Dec 22, 2010 with 11 replies and 1,510 views.

1. FlammableFun

FlammableFun Enthusiast

I use an x-clamp fix to replace the x-clamp under my GPU. When I turn it on, it works for about thirty seconds, but the fan gets really loud and it shuts off with two red rings. The error code is 0012. Suggestions?
  2. Dragonite

Dragonite Emma Watson <3 Premium

yes, the x-clamp fix sucks, i would preheat it in an oven first. the preheat method lasts much longer.
  3. Ry x MoDzZ

Ry x MoDzZ Seasoned Member

over heating of gpu or cpu i forget which is which for 0012, but add more thermal paste and i recommend adding a 12v fan mod
  4. MyDonkeyIsSatan

MyDonkeyIsSatan That's Jimmy.

I got 1 RROD after doing this. Any help for me?
  5. Jordan

Jordan Numero Uno Retired

Have the console professionally reflowed. Since the x-clamps were only replaced, and that was so recently, you have the best chance of the reflow lasting for a long time. Contact FTCskater by clicking the link in my signature. The x-clamp fix is temporary and can flex the board to a point where it is no longer fixable.
  6. Icy-Tank

Icy-Tank Getting There

Well it could still be fixable...I mean board flex can be mitigated by proper baking of the board to remove board flex and also a couple of other things that thing can do. But a reflow or reball would be the safest and best bet and like iMoses said (which you'd be surprised how often this guy is right ...stab in the dark at 99%?) that since it was just recently done, you have the best chance of having this fix it next to a virgin console.
  7. olyboi2

olyboi2 Enthusiast

i fix consoles all the time you either have too much or not enuff thermal paste! try tighting the xclamp screws on the cpu slighly.
  8. Ancient

Ancient Enthusiast

does the fan immediately start getting louder and louder right when you turn it on?

I had this happen once, and it was because a piece of metal was touching the underside of my motherboard

hope this helps
  9. Garretts228

Garretts228 Getting There

You did something wrong. Bolts too tight something that caused bad thermal conduction. Try cleaning all the thermal compound off again and add just a pea size drop onto the middle and put the heatsinks back on and put the bolts on lose. Let it overheat with no fan then screw on bolts till they stop there selves and then give it one last bit of a twist.
  10. Mocking Da Bird

Mocking Da Bird Guys Below Me Suck Retired

Don't waste your time with the X-Clamp fix. It would be easier for someone to reflow/reball the console professionally. Also, this error code is caused by the GPU overheating. If you decline the reflow/reball, you could also re-apply the thermal compound.
  11. Kamikazemodding

Kamikazemodding Enthusiast

Are you kidding me? lol, I think putting your xbox in an oven would only make it worse.

Of course iMoses already posted. Follow this.

and this.
  12. SE43

SE43 Enthusiast

Not if you use the right Insulation....