[Tutorial] How to install and use PCSX2 (Playstation 2 Emulator)

Discussion in 'Other Platforms' started by ADAM IS MAGICAL, Aug 29, 2013 with 42 replies and 85,969 views.

1. ADAM IS MAGICAL

ADAM IS MAGICAL Contributor

Intro.
    Hi. :smile: This is my first tutorial so I apologize if it isn't the greatest. I recently tried out this emulator and I love it so much, it is the best (for PS2) in my opinion. It runs games great and has a cool plugin feature. So without further a due, here it goes.
    Installation.
    If you know what you are doing here are the download links for Windows, Linux, and Mac. You can skip to the BIOS setup section. But if you aren't familiar with installations, read below.

First off we need the set up so click here. Once you are on the downloads page of the PCSX2 website select your operating system. I am running Windows 7 so that is what I will be demonstrating with. I imagine all of the installations being the exact same regardless of your operating system. Once you reach the next page simply click download (don't click any ads by accident, see pictures for this). Once the setup is downloaded open it and give it administrative privileges if your computer asks. Run through the setup (more pictures if you have any issues). Once you have installed the program open up the newly created PCSX2 icon on your desktop. Select your language, press apply, then accept. Default settings are fine for the next page unless you want to mess around with your video card drivers, and GPU. Information on the third page is in the next section below. It's very important.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    BIOS setup.
    I will have pictures for this section too since this step might be a little bit confusing but in another sense it's easy. Make sure to keep the PCSX2 installer open. You will need the BIOS dump from a Playstation 2. Click here to download mine (you will need WinRAR or 7zip to open the .zip file). Once downloaded, extract it right into the PCSX2 "program files" folder (pictures go more in-depth). In reality you can put the BIOS folder anywhere and just browse for it but I like to keep things tidy. If it asks you to merge any folders click yes, if it doesn't ask then don't worry about it. Now back in the installer press Browse then find the BIOS folder in the PCSX2 "program files" folder again. Refresh the list and a single BIOS should appear, select it and then click finish. The program should open with two windows, the emulator itself and the program log console.
    [​IMG]
    Controller/Keyboard setup and other Minor Issues.
    You don't require a controller for this emulator but it's recommended. It doesn't matter which type of controller you use as long as it is wired or has some kind of wireless drivers that can be bound. I just wanted to clarify that. Luckily this emulator defaults to a lot of controllers so in most cases you won't need to change much but if all of your buttons are unbound or if you want to set the PS2 controls to keyboard keys then you will need to click on the Config drop down menu then mouse over Controllers (PAD) and then click on Plugin Settings. Once the window opens there should be three tabs at the top (General, Pad 1, and Pad 2) click on Pad 1. On this tab you will see all of the PS2 controller buttons, triggers, and analog sticks. Click on the button you would like to bind and then press the button/key you want to bind it to (for example, I clicked on Cross and then bound it to the A button on my Xbox 360 controller). I suggest binding all of your buttons. :tongue: After you've set up your controller you will need to disable speed hack, otherwise your game will run in "fast forward". To do this click on the Config drop down menu again but this time click on Emulation Settings. Once here click on Speedhacks then simply un-check Enable speedhacks. You can also press F4 in-game to toggle speed hack. You may also want your games to run in full-screen mode if your computer can keep up. To do this, in the same window click on GS Window (this may be a bit different for Mac or Linux users). Then change the aspect ratio to Widescreen 16:9 and select Default to fullscreen mode on open. You can also select Double-click toggles fullscreen mode if you like.
    [​IMG]
    Play Games!
    PS2 games are compiled in .iso format and they are usually around two gigabytes. I can't put up direct download links to any of these files but there are plenty of websites around the internet that distribute many types of games for emulators. Emuparadise is one. Once the game of your choice is downloaded extract it to your desktop for now (it should just be a singular .iso file). Now go back into the PCSX2 "program files" directory and create a new folder, name it games. This is where you will put all of your .iso files you get from game downloads. Now you will need to load the .iso into the emulator. Click on CDVD, mouse over Iso Selector, then click on Browse. Now go into you games folder and double click the .iso (game) you would like to load up. The window should close. Next click on the System tab and then click on Boot CDVD (full). The game should now load up. :smile:

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Just please don't quote my whole thread first reply. Also, if this worked a like is always appreciated. ​

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Chaotickitten and SweenZ like this.
  2. Whales

Whales Enthusiast

Ok you may know this but is there a way to mod games on a PS2? Like a JTAG sorta thing. Lol.

3. ADAM IS MAGICAL

I think you can flash the drives of a PS2 but with this method you don't even require a console. If you want to edit the files within the .iso itself I think you would need some kind of third party program like how we use Xbox Backup Creator to edit Xbox 360 games.

Whales likes this.
  4. Whales

Whales Enthusiast

Ok thank you.

5. XboxFromWalmart

XboxFromWalmart Enthusiast

I'm DLing Gran Turismo 4 as we speak.
    If it works, I will die.

6. ADAM IS MAGICAL

Good luck. c: Let me know if you have any questions.

7. XboxFromWalmart

When I run the game, it is in slo mo and the audio is really bad. I've tried screwing with the settings but nothing is working.
    It's weird because my FPS isn't dropping.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. ADAM IS MAGICAL

Strange. :/ You said your framerate is still fine? Maybe this video will help.

9. XboxFromWalmart

No, that didn't help, unfortunately.

10. ADAM IS MAGICAL

Awe. :oops: My friend had an issue similar but it was because his computer hardware just couldn't keep up with the emulator.

11. XboxFromWalmart

It could be. It seems weird, though. I can run regular PC games without lag.

12. SweenZ

SweenZ Skate Or Die! Premium

Finally i can play Kingdom Hearts chain of memories and Kingdom hears one and two final mix!

13. ADAM IS MAGICAL

Have fun. :biggrin:

14. SweenZ

SweenZ Skate Or Die! Premium

Nice tutorial, i'm gonna give it a try later

Pud likes this.
  15. Razrblaade

Razrblaade Newbie

Dude, this was done last year but i just found it. And your tutorial was easy and worked perfectly for me. I just wanted to say Thanks!

16. ADAM IS MAGICAL

Glad it worked out for you. :biggrin:

17. Mahadev

Mahadev Newbie

hi dude i was searching for how this pcsx2 emulator works and i have found this tread... ive seen lots of +ve feedback but unfortunately for me it didnt work. when i copy the bios folder to the program files not all the files are extracted .... i dont know why im using windows8 32bit os. is it because of that.. please help

18. ADAM IS MAGICAL

Are you using Winrar to extract the emulator/bios?

19. Krippledemu

Krippledemu Newbie

I too am having the same problem, It seems your Bios Dump doesn't want to cooperate with my PCSX2 First time configuration set up, and yes I did use Winrar to Extract your file. If you can help solve this issue I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance if you do resolve the problem. I'm Counting on you!

20. XeMini

XeMini (̅_̅_̅(̅(̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅̅()ڪ

Thanks for posting this, this is helpful for me