1. Think you have what it takes to join staff? Click here and check out the Staff thread to find out more information!
  2. Looking to spice up your game collection with a copy of the highly anticipated Bungie title Destiny? Hop on your ship and engage its hyper drive, this contest is going to be a heated one! Visit the contest by clicking here.
  3. Hello Guest, our very own Vanilla Minecraft Server is now up! Be sure to grab a few friends and check out the server here so that you guys can start your very own faction! Check it out HERE!
  4. Community Update: The Community Champion Events will soon be coming to a close, be sure to get your votes in!

ToTMCoTMEoTM

(Tutorial)Borderlands Tutorial on how to use WillowTree

Discussion in 'Borderlands Glitches and Modding' started by Jager212, Dec 4, 2009 with 42 replies and 73,615 views.

1. Jager212

Jager212 Getting There

Borderland’s Tutorial on how to use WillowTree
    (With easy solutions to get by corrupt data and crashing Xbox’s)
    Made by IIPure ChaosII
    Williow tree is made by XanderChaos

This is for everyone who has been having trouble with WillowTree and/or editing certain objects in willowtree. First off big thanks to XanderChaos and Turk645 they have been doing great work on WilliowTree and with the constant updates it will be the king among programs for borderland. This is by far one of the greatest if not the best Borderlands modding tools. For this I will be using WillowTree 1.2.0 (I have found this one with no bugs but you can use 1.2.2 for the bug fixes I take no credit for making it). I will be using Concept 3.0 to Rehash and resign (I did not make Concept 3.0 Feudal Nate did, nor do I take credit for it). And I use Xport 360. (IF anyone has any problems with credit given please post on the forum below and I will gladly change it).
    I will be doing this on a fresh restart with brand new character. No mods yet.
    PICTURES WILL COME

Modding a character to level 50 without having any corruption problems
    Step1: Single Player, New Character then wait trough the cut scene. Choose whatever class you want, I went with The Hunter.

Step2: Fresh off the Bus. Start following the claptrap (to the new-U station), you will see a building with a chest on top of it and safes around it. Loot EVERYTHING this will help you create space in your backpack for what you will mod. You need to start collecting all different items, Shield mods, class mods, money, ammo, and guns (there is a chest on top of the first building you find it has 2 guns ((usually)).

Step3: Follow the claptrap to the new-u station AFTER you looted the chests and items. I left my hunter’s name as Mordecai even though it doesn’t matter and any colors for clothing too. After this continue on doing what the claptrap says to do.

Step4: Once you arrive at the chest the claptrap brings you to loot it and follow him to start the first quest line. The Doctor is In is the first quest you do follow the quest and complete it.

Step5: Do Skags at the gate quest, at the start of the quest the Claptrap will go down, so go run and get the repair kit for Claptrap Rescue then complete it. Continue doing Skags at the gate and then go turn it in.

Step6: Accept the quest Fix’er Upper and finish it so you can buy a shield, (and when you do this everything in the save file that opens in WillowTree will have a plus (+) symbol next to it and that’s what you’re looking for it to have.) Now exit and save your game.

Not Required: Now go to any place in Fyrestone and level till your 5-10, I do 10 because it is safer and you get skill points I usually put 1 point in all tiers, and I also join one multiplayer game for a just in case. From this point you can mod anything with no problems and no corruption or crashes.

Side Note: As your doing quest and killing stuff try to get your skill in all your guns to 1, this makes them unlocked and easier for you to change to 50 later on (Does not require level 1 just to have some xp in the skill but I did it to make sure I did not mess anything up)

Starting the mod: (for people who know how to mod)

Step 1(for modding): Connect you hdd to your PC. Get your save file and save one in a backup folder and the other one in a Current Modding folder.

Step2: Open WillowTree , then open your save from the Current folder and open the + SaveXXX.save and go to character. Take a quick glance and make sure all the folders underneath character have +’s next to them otherwise it will corrupt if they don’t.

Step3: If you see all the folders having a + then your set to start modding. Go to character and change level to 50, and xp to 4 million. Save changes, then hit file save, then Rehash and resign. Pop it back on to your hdd and start up your game.

Step4: Pat yourself on the back if it worked.

FOR ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO MOD BUT WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH GETTING A FRESH OFF THE BUS CHARACTER MODDEDTO LEVEL 50 THE ABOVE WILL WORK FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS CONTACT ME OR POST HERE
    FOR THOSE THAT JUST NEED HELP MAKING A NEW CHARACTER BUT KNOW HOW TO MOD YOU CAN STOP READING HERE I AM GOING TO EXPLAIN HOW TO MOD WITH WILLOWTREE,
    FOR THOSE WHO DON’T KNOW HOW TO MOD FOLLOW THE STEPS ABOVE EXACTLY AND THEN PROCCED TO THE NEXT ONES.

In my 2nd post is the weapon tut
    5 people like this.
  2. Legendary Z

Legendary Z Banned

Nice tut bro.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Jager212

Jager212 Getting There

Part 2 Modding Weapons with WilliowTree:
    I will assume if you’re looking at this then you know how to at least get to your game save on your HDD. This will teach you how to make modded weapons using WilliowTree.

Step1: Open WilliowTree’s Weapon Work Shop, then select file open, and find were you put your save and open saveXXX.sav.

Step2: Go down the list of folders that you just opened in WillowTree and find the Weapons (+) and click it. The first 4 weapons (if you have all slots unlocked) will be your equipped weapons.

Step3: All the parts you see are gun parts.

Part1: Item Grade (defines what backpack slot it goes in)

Part2: Manufactures, what company makes the gun.

Part3: Dictates what kind of weapon it is (IF part1 has sniper_rifle in the name your should have it same in this one and not Patrol_smg)

Part3: Body (Style of the body)

Part4: Grip (what you hold on too)

Part5: Magzine (What holds your bullets ((most of the time)))

Part6: Barrel (Range, damage, and accuracy)

Part7: Sight (Scope) (damage and accuracy)

Part8: None (open spot) (damage mod’s will be added)

Part9: Accessory (add an acc part)

Part10: Manufactures Materials (Color and rarity)

Part11: Name Prefix (kind of like Mr. or Dr on a person’s name)

Part12: Title (The first name of a gun)

Space13: Remaining Ammo (if reload will be mag size)

Space14: Quality of the GUN (between 1 -5)

Space15: The slot the gun is in (if none will be 0)

Side Note: The first 4 weapons are your equipped weapons and having the ones you want to mod in the equipped slots is the easiest way to keep track of them.

Step4: First of all ask what you want on your gun, you can find most of what each part does http://blmodding.wikidot.com/ . It is a great website that helps you with all parts.

Step5: Once you find what you want to add to your gun (I will be using the dove barrel)
    Make sure the main folder of your weapon is selected (it will be Weapon: XXXXXX)
    Mine was
    Weapon: Plywood Sniper

Step6: Look to the right of the screen when you have your weapon selected you will see [Current Parts] and a box underneath it. Before you go down, select Part6 (which it won’t show) which is Barrel.barrel1. Make sure it is highlighted

[Current Parts]
    Part0: gd_itemgrades.Weapons.itemGrade_Weapon_SniperRifle
    Part1: gd_manufacturers.Manufacturers.Jakobs
    Part2: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.A_Weapon.WeaponType_sniper_rifle
    Part3: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.Body.body1
    Part4: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.Grip.grip4
    Part5: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.mag.mag1
    Part6: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.Barrel.Barrel1
    Part7: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.Sight.Sight1
    Part8: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.Stock.stock1
    Part9: None
    Part10: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.acc.accnone
    Part11: gd_weap_shared_materialparts.ManufacturerMaterials.Material_Jakobs_1
    Part12: gd_weap_names_shared.Prefix.Prefix_QualityLow_Jakobs_Plywood
    Part13: gd_weap_sniper_rifle.Title.Title_SniperRifle
    Space14: 6
    Space15: 0
    Space16: 0

Step7: You will see a box underneath the list I just posted and it will have a menu like this
    [GD_itemGrades][Gd_manufactures][gd_weap_alien_rifle][xxxxxx][<<][>>]
    In each of those tabs are items that you can put on weapons.
    I am going to scroll over to [gd_weap_repeater_pistol] and scroll down the list it brings up and go all the way to the bottom and you will see UniqueParts. You will see UniqueParts.TheDove_barrel4
    Select |UniqueParts.TheDove_barrel4| and hit the swap part button, and then save changes. Then go hit file save. Open the save you edited up in your rehash/resginer and use it. Pop it back on to your hdd and put it in your Xbox. Load the game and check if you now have UNLIMITED AMMO.

Step8: You can switch any part on the gun with a corresponding part (like barrel with barrel, and Grip with grip)

Step9: Under the Current Parts list (at the top) select None (will be underneath Stock.stockX(x is a number) and make sure None is highlighted.
    Step10: Go to the menu like this [GD_itemGrades][Gd_manufactures][gd_weap_alien_rifle][xxxxxx][<<][>>]

And find [gd_weap_sniper_rifle]
    Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and look for UniqueParts.ShepsElephantGun_sight_none
    Make sure you select UniqueParts.ShepsElephantGun_sight_none
    Hit Swap Part Save Changes, File save, Go to your resign/Reshasher and use it. Load it back to your 360 HDD and Pop it in to your Xbox to make sure it works. The Damage on the gun will be higher.
    4 people like this.
  4. XanderChaos

XanderChaos Experienced Member

Thanks for the tutorial, however small it may be right now. I know a lot of people are having issues make a new character jump to the second playthrough/levl 50. You should really get WillowTree (note: WillowTree, not willow tree or Willowtree =P) version 1.2.2, as a few bugs in Weapons Workshop were fixed.

Definitly do weapons tutorials next, since that seems to be the most popular topic.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Jager212

Jager212 Getting There

I will fix the typos in about three hours and thanks
    1 person likes this.
  6. Sorox

Sorox Enthusiast

I really do need a tut on gun modding. im totally clueless at the moment. I did give a gun Infinite ammo and Rapid fire though :D
  7. Jager212

Jager212 Getting There

My gun making tut will be posted around 10:30pm est tonight
    1 person likes this.
  8. XanderChaos

Also, not to be nit-pickly (hey, at least I'm bumping your thread), but I'm the only one who actually made WillowTree. Turk's research was vital to understand the workings of the save structure, but I made the application. He's got more than enough attention with is PC map mods anyway. =P

(Although once 1.3.0 is out, his stat research will probably be worth having his name on part of WillowTree. xD)

Posting the tutorials on the Borderlands Modding Wiki would be a good idea once they're done.
    2 people like this.
  9. Jager212

Jager212 Getting There

No problem be as picky as you want. I will make the changes when I get home from work in two hours currently posting from my bb storm. Anything else =)

Just posted the new part.
    1 person likes this.
  10. XanderChaos

Looking good so far. Planning to add pictures, still?
    1 person likes this.
  11. Jager212

Jager212 Getting There

Yup but been trying to finish my game so pictures got put on hold for a few
  12. DarkReaper33

DarkReaper33 Newbie

XanderChaos, Will you please send me a link or something so I can try your Willowtree application? This tutorial is useless without the awesome software. Also:
    1. Concept 3.0
    2. Xport 360
    I am new at this, but I am very interested in learning this Modding procedure. Thank you!
  13. tgipartyboy

tgipartyboy Newbie

how do i find my saved files on my computer from my xbox hardrive
    in otherwords how do i put my hunter thats already lvl 50 on a save file in willowtree
  14. tgb

tgb Enthusiast

15. Gunstar

Gunstar Newbie

This is a very long post about modding weapons, it's something I wrote to some friends and I'd thought I share it here to help those that might be having trouble.

It's a different way to say the same thing as Jager212 post(s) and might or might not be helpful.

And as always giving credit where credit is due:
    XanderChaos for giving us the awesome application WillowTree.
    Turk645 for breaking it down to show us what Borderlands can do.
    And to others, too numerous to list, in being kind enough to share.

It starts with a transfer cable or device to connect the 360 hard drive or memory unit to a computer.

The Borderlands save file is then transfered to the computer and opened and edited with WillowTree.

From this program it can either change the character info like level, money, skill points, etc., or it can edit the weapons and items that are being carried by the character.

Weapons:
    Each weapon consists of 17 lines of text that determine what the weapon is and how it looks and behaves.
    1. Item Grade: Combat Shotgun, Custom Weapons (Sledges Shotgun), Combat Rifle, etc.
    2. Manufacturer: Hyperion, Atlas, Dahl, etc.
    3. Type: Combat Shotgun, Combat Rifle, Patrol SMG, Revolver, etc.
    4. Body: Body name such as Body1, Body 2, etc.
    5. Grip: Grip name such as Grip1, Grip2, etc.
    6. Mag: Magazine name such as Mag1, Mag2, etc.
    7. Barrel: Barrel type such as Barrel1, Barrel2, etc.
    8. Sight: Sight type such as Sight1, Sight2, etc.
    9. Stock: Stock type such as Stock_none, Stock1, etc.
    10. Action: Usually "None" except for repeater and machine pistols
    11. Accessory: This is where some of the magic happens. Accessories such as Incendary, Corrosive, Shock, etc.
    12. Material: This is the type of material the weapon will be made of, usually Atlas, Hyperion, Dahl, etc.
    13. Prefix: example Terrible (prefix sometimes affects the attributes of the weapon)
    14. Title: example Bulldog
    15. Remaining Ammo: a number that seems to correspond to the type of weapon
    16. Quality: 0 thru 5 With level zero being level 1 thru 10 and level five being 48 thru 50 with the other levels being each block of 10 levels
    17. Equipped slot: usually 0 if the weapon is in the backpack or one(1) thru four(4) corresponding to a equipped weapon slot.

Lets look at a "Terrible Bulldog" as an example:
    • gd_itemgrades.Weapons.ItemGrade_Weapon_CombatShotgun
    • gd_manufacturers.Manufacturers.Dahl
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.A_Weapon.WeaponType_combat_shotgun
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Body.body5
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Grip.grip2
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.mag.mag2_Dahl_Bulldog
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Barrel.barrel1
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Sight.sight4
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Stock.stock3
    • None
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.acc.acc1_Jagged
    • gd_weap_shared_materialparts.ManufacturerMaterials.Material_Dahl_2
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Prefix.Prefix_Damage1_Terrible
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Title.TitleM_Dahl1_Bulldog
    Now with WillowTree we can change parts on the weapon to make it better/worse/or something crazy.

At this point we still have no idea what each part does or how it affects the whole weapon. This is where the Borderlands Modding Wiki comes in.

With the wiki and WillowTree we can change the shotgun to anything we want, different barrel, sight, body, material, etc.

Under the Combat Shotgun Page we see what each part can do, some haven't been researched by the modding community so the only way to find out is to experiment.
    Our shotgun above has 'body5', but we want ammo regen so we'll replace it with 'body3_Tediore_Defender'.

Next our shotgun has 'barrel1', but we want a higher damage barrel instead of a wider spread, so we'll replace it with 'barrel4' for higher damage and more accuracy.

Finally the 'Jagged' accessory is for melee damage, but for a ranged character we want something different, perhaps 'Terrible' to match it's name.

So after all the edits we end up with this:
    • gd_manufacturers.Manufacturers.Dahl
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Body.body3_Tediore_Defender
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Barrel.barrel4
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Sight.sight4
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Stock.stock3
    • None
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.acc.acc4_Terrible
    • gd_weap_shared_materialparts.ManufacturerMaterials.Material_Dahl_2
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Prefix.Prefix_Damage1_Terrible
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Title.TitleM_Dahl1_Bulldog

With these few simple changes from an electronic gunsmith, we have a shotgun that now can regen ammo and does more damage and better accuracy.

You'll notice that I put a Teidore body on a Dahl gun, this is acceptable and the game doesn't care.

In fact to get some of the more outrageous weapons you can even replace legitimate parts with extra parts or even parts from other weapons.

A shotgun that shoots multiple rockets:
    • gd_manufacturers.Manufacturers.Atlas
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Body.body3_Tediore_Defender
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Barrel.barrel2_Shredder
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Sight.sight3
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Barrel.barrel3_Carnage
    • gd_weap_shared_materialparts.ManufacturerMaterials.Material_Atlas_3
    • gd_weap_assault_shotgun.Prefix.Prefix_Quality3_Fatal
    • gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Title.Title_Barrel3_Carnage

As you can see it was an Atlas combat shotgun that several parts were replaced with parts from other shotguns and even added 3 more barrels.
    This allows ammo regeneration, large clip, and the ability to shot 3 rockets at a time.
    You'll also notice that the quality was set to "2" for lower level characters/damage.

Modifying items is similar to modifying weapons and can create powerful shields and class mods.
    Anywho, I thought I'd share.
    2 people like this.
  16. Treybonew

Treybonew Newbie

Even though I didn't need it, any and all information that is provided to people is appreciated. I have been seeing too many people asking the same questions instead of either searching for the answers, or just through trial and error.
  17. Jager212

Jager212 Getting There

Sorry guys i havent had time to add pictures and all, been a lil busy with fishing up my as. degree in Game Dev and Game Proggramin =p, ive been a lil busy with my studios game so i have been forgetting to update this, i will very soon dont worry.
    1 person likes this.
  18. XanderChaos

What school you at?
  19. EmptyErn

EmptyErn Newbie

i think i have successfully modded my save file but now i cant put it back on my 360 harddrive. im running windows 7. and i have tried to insert the .sav file back onto the hdd with 360xplorer but i cant open partition 3 to do it. i am also running as administrator?

help!
  20. ahotcougar

ahotcougar Enthusiast

When im done modding my gone, and i have it totally superdupered up to uber greatness, i hit save changes, file save, and then when i close willowtree, open up the same save, same gun, none of my changes have occured..... ?:mad:

re-download the program, you got a bad version of it :)