How To Setup Dashlaunch v2.21 with Freestyle Dash on a Jtagged Xbox
Tutorial By: iNs4NiiTy x

What you will need:

Downloads:
Dashlaunch v2.21
Freestyle Dash 2.0 RC1.8 (Optional)

Tutorial:

Step 1:
Download the above files; Dashlaunch and Freestyle Dash(optional).

Step 2:frown:Optional)
Extract the Freestyle Dash files into a folder called Freestyle for convenience. Place this folder either on the Root of your external HDD or onto your xbox HDD with this path
Code:
Hdd:\Content\0000000000000000\Freestyle

Step 3:
Extract the Dashlaunch v2.21 files onto your Desktop or somewhere it can easily be accessed. It would be easiest to keep the files in a folder named Dashlaunch, or something similar.

Step 4:
Open the Dashlaunch folder and locate the sample_launch.ini file. Rename that file to launch.ini

Step 5:
Now open the launch.ini by double clicking it. By default, it should open in Notepad.

You should get some text that looks something like this:
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
BUT_X = Usb:\Freestyle\FreestyleDash.xex
Default = Hdd:\Content\0000000000000000\C0DE9999\00080000\C0DE99990F586558
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

You need to edit this to the path that you are going to use. Depending on the HDD that you are using, and where the .xex you want to launch is located, depends on what your text will look like.

If you are using an External HDD and following this tutorial closely, your line of code will be as follows:
Code:
Usb0:\Freestyle\default.xex
or
If you are using an Xbox HDD and following this tutorial closely, your line of code will be as follows:
Code:
Hdd:\Content\0000000000000000\Freestyle\default.xex

(Optional)
You can add multiple paths into this .ini file, adding extras such as BUT_X, which means that when booting up the console, if you hold the X button, it will follow that path.

Different launch.ini combinations
Retail dashboard
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
BUT_X = Hdd:\Content\0000000000000000\C0DE9999\00080000\C0DE99990F586558
BUT_Y = Hdd:\Freestyle\default.xex
Default = 
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Xexmenu
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
BUT_X = Hdd:\Freestyle\default.xex
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Step 6:
Save the launch.ini file. Now copy the launch.ini and paste it into the Installer > Files Folder.

Step 7:
Now move the Dashlaunch folder onto your HDD, the location doesn't really matter, but the Root is the best place to put it.

Check Up:
Ok, so now you should have done the following steps.
  • Extracted both .RAR files
  • Put the Freestyle folder onto your HDD
  • Located, renamed, edited and moved the launch.ini file so now it is in the Installer folder.
  • And you have moved the dashlaunch and installer folder onto your HDD.

Step 8:
Now it's time to finally do something on your xbox. Plug in your HDD into the xbox and start up XEX Menu or Freestyle Dash. If you don't have XEX Menu, then you'll need to follow another tutorial on how to get it on your JTAG.
Now you want to locate the Installer folder that should be either in the Dashlaunch folder or on the Root of your HDD.
Now run the default.xex file in that follow and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 9:
Your console should shut off and restart, if not turn it on yourself, and then should boot straight into Freestyle Dash and skip over the Kinect/NXE dashboard.

Congratulations, You have successfully installed Dashlaunch and Freestyle Dash onto your jtag.

Note: Keep the Freestyle Dash folder one word, ex. Freestyle, because for some reason Dashlaunch doesn't like spaces :smile:

Quote this post or PM me if you have any questions or problems

Updates:
April 20th, 2011- New Dashlaunch and Freestyle Dash Versions Posted.
June 6th, 2011- Broken links updated.

Feel free to spread this tutorial, just give credit where credit is due.

24ytz15.gif

C

Captain Skeet

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for this, You just saved me a bunch of time. Worked perfectly. =D

H

hollenengel

Feline-Of-All-Trades
Reaction score
Sin$
no problem. here to help :smile:

Quick question...if I had DashLaunch installed on a console and pointed it to a hard drive location to boot FSD, and then removed the hard drive, what exactly is the console going to boot to? An error message, or the NXE dash? And if it does error, is there any way to bypass DL's launch.ini without reflashing?

iNs4NiiTy x

iNs4NiiTy x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Quick question...if I had DashLaunch installed on a console and pointed it to a hard drive location to boot FSD, and then removed the hard drive, what exactly is the console going to boot to? An error message, or the NXE dash? And if it does error, is there any way to bypass DL's launch.ini without reflashing?
Umm, I'm not sure what will happen if you remove the hard drive.
The only way to bypass the launch.ini would be to change the path's of it and then re-install it again, or re-flash the nand

S

schwhack

Reaction score
Sin$
this is not working for me.. i have followed the tut to the letter and still nothing.. everything goes as planned ,says updated .. reboot and still MS dash. I have an xenon , no secondary nand or anything like that and a MS 250 HDD.. I have triple checked everything .. the .ini , file paths , even tried renaming the .xex to freestyle.xex and redoing everything , still nothing.. any help would be appreciated..

Nou

Nou

Sarcastic Scotsman #2
Fabled Veteran Bright Idea Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Sin$
Neat tutorial. I don't own a JTAG but I'm sure that'll help people who want to install Freestyle xD gj +1

L

leperkuan

Reaction score
Sin$
For people that say it does not work, copy launch.ini to root of the hdd. I dont see that instruction above but it fixed my problem. Thanks for the TUT, Simple yet effective!

Apathy

Apathy

Programmer Modder Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
DashLaunch v2.09Beta ( Which solves games needing 12625 problem ) and FreeStyle Dash Rc1.8 have been released.

X

xFlawless11x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
How To Setup Dashlaunch v2.08 with Freestyle Dash on a Jtagged Xbox

What you will need:

Downloads:
Dashlaunch v2.08
Freestyle Dash 2.0 RC1.7 (Optional)

Tutorial:

Step 1:

Extract the Freestyle Dash files into a folder called Freestyle for convenience. Place this folder either on the Root of your external HDD or onto your xbox HDD with this path
Code:

Step 3:
Extract the Dashlaunch v2.08 files onto your Desktop or somewhere it can easily be accessed. It would be easiest to keep the files in a folder named Dashlaunch, or something similar.

Step 4:
Open the Dashlaunch folder and locate the sample_launch.ini file. Rename that file to launch.ini

Step 5:
Now open the launch.ini by double clicking it. By default, it should open in Notepad.

Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

You need to edit this to the path that you are going to use. Depending on the HDD that you are using, and where the .xex you want to launch is located, depends on what your text will look like.

If you are using an External HDD and following this tutorial closely, your line of code will be as follows:
Code:
or
If you are using an Xbox HDD and following this tutorial closely, your line of code will be as follows:
Code:

(Optional)
You can add multiple paths into this .ini file, adding extras such as BUT_X, which means that when booting up the console, if you hold the X button, it will follow that path.

Retail dashboard
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
Default = 
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Xexmenu
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Step 6:
Save the launch.ini file. Now copy the launch.ini and paste it into the Installer > Files Folder.

Pictures:
1.png

2.png

3.png

Photo Courtesy of dontdr0ptheS0AP at xpgamesaves.com

Step 7:
Now move the Dashlaunch folder onto your HDD, the location doesn't really matter, but the Root is the best place to put it.

Check Up:
  • Located, renamed, edited and moved the launch.ini file so now it is in the Installer folder.

Step 8:
Now it's time to finally do something on your xbox. Plug in your HDD into the xbox and start up XEX Menu or Freestyle Dash. If you don't have XEX Menu, then you'll need to follow another tutorial on how to get it on your JTAG.
Now you want to locate the Installer folder that should be either in the Dashlaunch folder or on the Root of your HDD.
Now run the default.xex file in that follow and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 9:
Your console should shut off and restart, if not turn it on yourself, and then should boot straight into Freestyle Dash and skip over the Kinect/NXE dashboard.

Congradulations, You have successfully installed Dashlaunch and Freestyle Dash onto your jtag.

Nvm. Got it.

M

Melon

Reaction score
Sin$

What you will need:

Downloads:
Dashlaunch v2.08

Tutorial:

Step 1:

Code:

Step 3:
Extract the Dashlaunch v2.08 files onto your Desktop or somewhere it can easily be accessed. It would be easiest to keep the files in a folder named Dashlaunch, or something similar.

Step 4:

Step 5:

Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Code:
or
Code:

(Optional)

Retail dashboard
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
Default = 
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Xexmenu
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Step 6:

Pictures:
1.png

2.png

3.png

Step 7:

Check Up:

Step 8:

Step 9:

Congradulations, You have successfully installed Dashlaunch and Freestyle Dash onto your jtag.

i followed this with my jasper, and i get two red top and two green bottom and they alternate on the rol'

What you will need:

Downloads:
Dashlaunch v2.08

Tutorial:

Step 1:

Code:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Code:
or
Code:

(Optional)

Retail dashboard
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
Default = 
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Xexmenu
Code:
[QuickLaunchButtons]
[Settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Step 6:

Pictures:
1.png

2.png

3.png

Step 7:

Check Up:

Step 8:

Step 9:

i followed this with my jasper, and i get two red top and two green bottom and they alternate on the rol'

S

shateredsoul

Reaction score
Sin$
thank you for your guide it worked! I'm just going to add the retail dash to another letter, but I was wondering.. does anyone know where the default location of the retail dash is? By the retail dash I mean the dashboard that comes with the xbox 360.

The examples you listed are both for the xexmenu, Hdd:\Content\0000000000000000\C0DE9999\00080000\C0DE99990F586558

I like using the main dash to install games. Much faster than freestyle dash. Does anyone know the path for the NXE/default dash board?

Thank you better than most YT tutorials :smile: <3

by the way, if you bought your jtagged consoled and it doesn't work for you, then it may be that there's already a launch.ini somewhere on your hdd. Check the path that is stated when you are flashing.

Also, you don't have to use Hdd1 just Hdd, there was some confusion on another thread about that.

iNs4NiiTy x

iNs4NiiTy x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I like using the main dash to install games. Much faster than freestyle dash. Does anyone know the path for the NXE/default dash board?
If you would like it to boot to the retail dashboard when you start it up, then you want to do this:
Code:
Default =
Yes, I meant to leave that blank. If you leave it empty, it will just boot to the NXE Dashboard.

Lewie4

Lewie4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I follow it exactly and it still boots into the retail dash

Edit: Never mind got it working.

Note to people: Call your Freestyle Dash folder "Freestyle" not "Freestyle Dash" it doesn't seem to like spaces

Top Bottom
Login
Register