What's new

Support ServerBy6ix! Let's make multiplayer Minecraft better.

• Thread starter eightby6ix
  • Start date
  • Views 911
eightby6ix

eightby6ix

Reaction score
Sin$
I think that it's time for Multiplayer Minecraft to allow a new kid on the block.
One that isn't a hub server, or that wants to be a hub server.

So I've been developing an idea that will hopefully come to fruition before the summertime.
This idea is ServerBy6ix.

Serverby6ix, my project, is a futuristic, cyberpunk inspired, role-play environment that melds everything you love about multiplayer Minecraft, the mini-games, the PvP, the social interaction, together in a seamless, constantly updated world.
There isn't a single server trying to break the barrier that hub servers hold.Don't get me wrong hub servers are quick and efficient, but they're drab and dull.
The only thing that keeps them alive is a strong playerbase and a new minigame that introduces itself when times get a little dreary.For new servers this is difficult.
Without these main two elements it's hard for a new server to remain afloat.
No one wants to be edgy, no one wants to try something new.
Why do players take such long breaks from Minecraft at times? It gets boring, and all thats out there outside of survival singleplayer is hub servers.
An endless sea of repetitive, dime a dozen, copy-cats.Minus a select few servers that remain unique, this is the sad blocky reality we live in.I'd like for you to take a chance and see what I've got cooking.

I hope it allows a new era of Minecraft servers to dream big and strive to achieve big.
I explain my server concept pretty well in this video:
The trailer I made originally can be viewed on the main page of my IndieGoGo

Last edited by a moderator:
Red

Red

VIP
Retired
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I had to edit your thread, just for future references you can't out donation links here unless you are approved by an admin and I see that he gave you the thumbs up.

Good luck! I think this is a great idea!

eightby6ix

eightby6ix

Reaction score
Sin$
I had to edit your thread, just for future references you can't out donation links here unless you are approved by an admin and I see that he gave you the thumbs up.

Good luck! I think this is a great idea!
I appreciate the support and "thumbs up".
Means the world to me.
We're really trying to be inventive and go the opposite route that everyone else goes.

Adolfin

Adolfin

Your Mom's Favourite VIP
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit End of the Year 2018 Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I really like this idea, Goodluck with the fundraising and I hope everything runs smoothly for you.

Senex

Senex

✅ Obsession Engaged
Programmer Bug Finder TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Awesome! (This may be a long post, sorry for that!)

I really appreciate you trying to just go and improve the general Minecraft server experience. It is really great that folks like you can just think of something that'd make the experience for the general public great. I also like the fact that you're trying to kink out these lazy "What game to play? / What to do?" moments I think we all had, and I am curious to see how you'll actually go and do that.

Quite a lot of times I joined a server, like Red Red 's Se7ensins server, I have a great experience. The thrill of playing with friendly people is really great for me. If there's a Teamspeak server, I can even go and get discriminated against because of my overly Dutch accent. I really do enjoy that. In fact, I laugh the hardest when I get discriminated against. But, I digress. The thing I am trying to say here is that, if reached, a community can make people want to play on your server again. Partly because of the server and partly because of the people. The key here is to get folks from the same place (site, group, etc.) to get interested in your server and bring their friends. I think this also was one of the reasons you posted the thread on here, wasn't it?

I really support you and everyone who's helping you to make that 'dream' of a server that's (almost) never boring. And although I can't help you financially, I could help you with technical stuff if you need any help with that. I shall not go into too much detail here, but I can manage myself in the technical field pretty easily. Another thing about the technical side is; how do you actually plan on making it all happen? If you have answered that already, please link me to it. I am very interested in the actual technical stuff you plan on doing. I just love hating on plugins and stuff like that that's really unnecessary. However, like I said, not going into that too much here.

Another aspect I wanted to ask you about is moderation. How are you planning on deploying moderation 'forces'? For example, how will you deal with players 24/7? Do you plan on automating, filtering or restricting some functionality in any way, shape or form? Of course, I'd understand if you didn't quite get to that point yet, as you should focus on the core concept right now, but I'm just curious to know how you would do that.

How, the final questions I have are about you actually realizing these buildings, maps, locations, etc. For example, by the looks of it, I think you are planning something big. At what point would you consider the location done? If it's big enough for X amounts of players, if it's visually (mildly) appealing or if it's functional (as in; it 'does the job')? Another question is, how are you going to actually realize the building? Are you just going to use part of the IndieGoGo money to hire a building crew, build it yourself or maybe import some already-built buildings from, for example, other worlds? I think the concept you have is amazing, but I am seriously wondering about the actual execution of the plan.

Really, I am actually really curious as to some more of the actual details now that I like your concept, and I think that's a good thing. I will surely follow this project as it evolves and takes shape. I really do hope this actually lifts off and become a great success. If it doesn't, that's fine too in my opinion. If that's the case, people just like to stick to their known servers, and I think everyone should accept that and respect them for that.

Good luck realizing this project, and know you have gained a professional stalker.

eightby6ix

eightby6ix

Reaction score
Sin$
Awesome! (This may be a long post, sorry for that!)

I really appreciate you trying to just go and improve the general Minecraft server experience. It is really great that folks like you can just think of something that'd make the experience for the general public great. I also like the fact that you're trying to kink out these lazy "What game to play? / What to do?" moments I think we all had, and I am curious to see how you'll actually go and do that....

I'll respond to your long post with an even longer one ;D

Hub servers have extra facets that allow players to play an MMO gamemode through their lobby. However, that's still part of the hub aspect. Hubs are great for quickness and efficiency and I mention that. There are a select bunch of servers that really do a good job being a "hub server" and more. And they do it justice. The majority however does not.

What I'm trying to do, what we're trying to do is create an environment that feels like a breathing city and is a breathing city that does a lot more than funnel players into other mini-games and gamemodes. Players while looking for that gametype they really like will stumble upon quests and lore, be wrapped up in a gunfight in the slums. Just generally do a lot more between points A and B. Hopefully we'll make it so that getting from A to B is so interesting that you end up heading off into an option C and D.

The difference ends when you first get into the server. You don't spawn in the middle of options, you spawn in the middle of a city that's got a lot more on its mind than you. As if you woke up in Times Square with a couple pennies on your person. It'll be overwhelming and make the first time player very curious to see what's going on around them. Why are people heading towards club music? Why are people stumbling around drunk? Why are certain players able to jump higher? Why is that strange man talking about his next wetwork job? It's all very alien, it's all very enticing. That overwhelming aspect is critical.

When it comes to the story or lore, there will be a main storyline and several "main" side-quests that are completed once.
There will be dailies that can be daily. Like find John Smith and take him out, but you're given a general location and a vague description. Or jack several cars, or steal from several grandmas. Etc. Etc. But none of these quests are spoon fed. You walk into a random alley and accidentally find a dead body. From there a side quest opens up that you would have never expected. It's got to be more than just a question mark to get a player excited or else they just binge on missions for no real reason other than to complete it and get a reward. The reward should be more than that, it should be finding out that there was an emblem that you passed hundreds of times in the sewers that turned out to actual mean something. Or learning more about the lore.

My goal by posting here is to generate attention, hype and support for the idea of something different.
I don't mind what type of playerbase will pick up the server, but I hope it's one that appreciates something unique and something with meaning. That understands that we're not going to be at all like other servers that the game breathes, the server breathes alongside the city.

What do you mean by the technical side?

For moderation I've got a team of moderators and a plugin developer who is working on a high-class moderation system for monitoring players and the ease of taking care of a problem quickly and efficiently.
Also, what do you mean by filtering and restricting functionality?

We're hiring a build team to do the job in the way I envision it. It'll be pricey, but I'm leveraging the advertising ability I have because I do a lot of media creation on the internet. Youtube, Twitch, and the future website for my community.

Thanks for being a stalker :biggrin:. The more we have the better, we'll need it.
Feel free to mention and ask more questions. I really enjoy answering them.

Senex

Senex

✅ Obsession Engaged
Programmer Bug Finder TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll respond to your long post with an even longer one ;D

*Sigh, here we go...* This won't be that long, all's loud and clear. All questions. :wink:

Hub servers have extra facets that allow players to play an MMO gamemode through their lobby. However, that's still part of the hub aspect. Hubs are great for quickness and efficiency and I mention that. There are a select bunch of servers that really do a good job being a "hub server" and more. And they do it justice. The majority however does not.

This is fine and all, but how do you actually plan on incorporating the hub aspect to your city ideas?

What I'm trying to do, what we're trying to do is create an environment that feels like a breathing city and is a breathing city that does a lot more than funnel players into other mini-games and gamemodes. Players while looking for that gametype they really like will stumble upon quests and lore, be wrapped up in a gunfight in the slums. Just generally do a lot more between points A and B. Hopefully we'll make it so that getting from A to B is so interesting that you end up heading off into an option C and D.

Good concept. I like the idea of being unintentionally distracted from my goal. I am just speaking for myself, however. I don't exactly think everyone will be as happy with that as I am. Do you plan on actually adding some quick travel functionality as well?

The difference ends when you first get into the server. You don't spawn in the middle of options, you spawn in the middle of a city that's got a lot more on its mind than you. As if you woke up in Times Square with a couple pennies on your person. It'll be overwhelming and make the first time player very curious to see what's going on around them. Why are people heading towards club music? Why are people stumbling around drunk? Why are certain players able to jump higher? Why is that strange man talking about his next wetwork job? It's all very alien, it's all very enticing. That overwhelming aspect is critical.

You mention it being overwhelming. How do you plan on making it overwhelming while still allowing the player (or; newb) to figure things out? Some sort of a message board or something? Great idea though. Like I mentioned, love it.

When it comes to the story or lore, there will be a main storyline and several "main" side-quests that are completed once. There will be dailies that can be daily. Like find John Smith and take him out, but you're given a general location and a vague description. Or jack several cars, or steal from several grandmas. Etc. Etc. But none of these quests are spoon fed. You walk into a random alley and accidentally find a dead body. From there a side quest opens up that you would have never expected. It's got to be more than just a question mark to get a player excited or else they just binge on missions for no real reason other than to complete it and get a reward. The reward should be more than that, it should be finding out that there was an emblem that you passed hundreds of times in the sewers that turned out to actual mean something. Or learning more about the lore.

Same as above. Love the concept.

My goal by posting here is to generate attention, hype and support for the idea of something different.
I don't mind what type of playerbase will pick up the server, but I hope it's one that appreciates something unique and something with meaning. That understands that we're not going to be at all like other servers that the game breathes, the server breathes alongside the city.

Consider me hyped! :smile:

What do you mean by the technical side?

Literally, the technical side. Hosting of servers, their specifications, etc. Do you plan on going mid-range at first or just go all-in with full capacity? Do you plan on having lots of RAM? Things like that.

For moderation I've got a team of moderators and a plugin developer who is working on a high-class moderation system for monitoring players and the ease of taking care of a problem quickly and efficiently.
Also, what do you mean by filtering and restricting functionality?

Awesome. My advice: Please do take care of this in such a way that there's no mistakes with permissions handling, purchases, rules, etc. I've seen servers go down because of those mistakes. Hell, back when I was a lead admin on a server, I've seen the owners just ruin it with confusion. Please avoid that.

We're hiring a build team to do the job in the way I envision it. It'll be pricey, but I'm leveraging the advertising ability I have because I do a lot of media creation on the internet. Youtube, Twitch, and the future website for my community.

Awesome. Maybe you should spread out a bit more though. Try some YouTubers who are open to that stuff to feature you. Try to get Minecraft forums going with a discussion like this. Try to get attention on Facebook and other social media. It's really hard to get a server going in terms of attention. Expanding your 'search' for new people to as much places as possible is always a good thing to do.

Thanks for being a stalker :biggrin:. The more we have the better, we'll need it.
Feel free to mention and ask more questions. I really enjoy answering them.

You're welcome. :smile:

eightby6ix

eightby6ix

Reaction score
Sin$
This is fine and all, but how do you actually plan on incorporating the hub aspect to your city ideas?
The hub incorporation is like this. If you want to play a mini-game, say for example something quick you'd go to the arcade, like Flynns arcade in Tron. The mini-games get scattered and to play them you'll have to reach them, or figure out their location.

Do you plan on actually adding some quick travel functionality as well?
There are going to be several methods of transport.
Subway, buses, skyrail/trains, hoverbikes(aka horses), jetpacks.
The only way to "teleport" is to buy a "console". Kind of like an xbox.
So if you want to play Surival Games you buy a console, put it in your home, start it up and teleport to that area. It won't be cheap to buy a console though.

You mention it being overwhelming. How do you plan on making it overwhelming while still allowing the player (or; newb) to figure things out? Some sort of a message board or something? Great idea though. Like I mentioned, love it.
We'll do it the same way it's done in an actual city. So for example you can buy a map.
Or listen in to what NPC's are saying.
Follow billboards, signs etc.

Literally, the technical side. Hosting of servers, their specifications, etc. Do you plan on going mid-range at first or just go all-in with full capacity? Do you plan on having lots of RAM? Things like that.
We're partnered with MineOCity Hosting. They provide us a great deal on servers and since I'm partnered on Twitch I advertise for them. Right noiw we've got a 24GB RAM dedicated server that we'll upgrade. We'll get the best, largest and as many servers required to get the job done.
When the player first joins once they leave a pre-determined area they'll be teleported into one of our three lobbies (300-500 player max). From there they'll be able to play.

I've also been spreading the "Serverby6ix seed" all over the internet. This thread has been the most responsive though. But I'm trying to find more places. If you've got a website in mind where I can post that would be helpful.

Top Bottom
Login
Register