• School (High School, College, ect.)

• Self (Book, Online Tuts)

Results are only viewable after voting.
WildeThing

WildeThing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Libraries can be rebuilt with minimal effort since the two languages are almost identical. C# is a much better language in terms of performance, security, and usability than Java. The industry changes all the time and I think that in this case it will be no different. Whether it be Visual Basic or C# (probably C#), .NET will most likely take over Java. That is, of course, unless Java's performance doesn't improve drastically.
Actually, HotSpot JVM benches just as fast and even faster than C/C++ for some things. You have no idea about what you're talking about.
Security? Usability? The languages are almost identical. The PE structure takes slightly more time to reverse engineer but at the same time it's just as easy.

Java is not actually slow at all.
Please do some of your own benches rather than spout stats from 2013.

XeClutch

XeClutch

Raised on 7S
Mythical Veteran Programmer Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Actually, HotSpot JVM benches just as fast and even faster than C/C++ for some things. You have no idea about what you're talking about.
Security? Usability? The languages are almost identical. The PE structure takes slightly more time to reverse engineer but at the same time it's just as easy.

Java is not actually slow at all.
Please do some of your own benches rather than spout stats from 2013.
When I was talking about Java's performance I wasn't getting my information from benches, I was getting that from actual experience. Java takes longer to compile than C# and doesn't perform things like network operations as quickly. I've noticed that forms take longer to load and aren't as responsive as C# either. As far as security goes, Java obfuscation is much easier to break than most C# obfuscation although, I suppose that's not really Java's fault.

WildeThing

WildeThing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
When I was talking about Java's performance I wasn't getting my information from benches, I was getting that from actual experience. Java takes longer to compile than C# and doesn't perform things like network operations as quickly. I've noticed that forms take longer to load and aren't as responsive as C# either. As far as security goes, Java obfuscation is much easier to break than most C# obfuscation although, I suppose that's not really Java's fault.

Well, you're probably not very experienced with Java, judging by your thread. Meh, I don't see much difference in network operations.
I can agree with you about the GUI stuff. Java Swing is pretty OK but JavaFX can be pretty buggy. Keep in mind that Java, even with these faults, does better than C# for cross platform GUI. Of course C# will be better for Windows GUI, that's a given.

As for obfuscation, you really shouldn't have to obfuscate anything if you know how to develop software correctly.
Government applications that I know the people who develop them are often written in Java and are not obfuscated because they understand software development and how to secure stuff. I always see morons around here obfuscate RPC tools when in reality you can just monitor the packets sent from your PC to the console and get all the information you need. I've also been told that there's an XBDM modification that outputs everything like that to Watson.

Obfuscation isn't what developers refer to as 'security' when talking about languages.

XeClutch

XeClutch

Raised on 7S
Mythical Veteran Programmer Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, you're probably not very experienced with Java, judging by your thread. Meh, I don't see much difference in network operations.
I can agree with you about the GUI stuff. Java Swing is pretty OK but JavaFX can be pretty buggy. Keep in mind that Java, even with these faults, does better than C# for cross platform GUI. Of course C# will be better for Windows GUI, that's a given.

As for obfuscation, you really shouldn't have to obfuscate anything if you know how to develop software correctly.
Government applications that I know the people who develop them are often written in Java and are not obfuscated because they understand software development and how to secure stuff. I always see morons around here obfuscate RPC tools when in reality you can just monitor the packets sent from your PC to the console and get all the information you need. I've also been told that there's an XBDM modification that outputs everything like that to Watson.

Obfuscation isn't what developers refer to as 'security' when talking about languages.
Obfuscation really doesn't hurt much so long as it's good protection. Your code will run slower on a minuscule level but you're right, obfuscation isn't necessary when you know your stuff. So long as you keep most of the hot stuff server-side and make sure your server is written so that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep people from cracking the software without actually hacking into wherever the server is kept and messing with that but that starts to become illegal at a certain point. Not really feasible for the average pirate.

As for that XBDM modification it can be done easily by modifying xdevkit.dll (the wrapper that XRPC.dll, JRPC.dll, and JRPC2.dll use to communicate with the console) but that won't capture everything that they do. It'd be best to write your own xbdm.xex to save everything to a log or write a sniffer that captures everything sent to certain ports on your Xbox.

I suppose it's time we agree to disagree. I prefer C# whereas you prefer Java. Both are good languages that have changed the software industry as we know it. We've provided the OP with tons of information on both and so I think it's up to him now as to what he chooses to do with that information. Cheers, it was fun.

WildeThing

WildeThing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Obfuscation really doesn't hurt much so long as it's good protection. Your code will run slower on a minuscule level but you're right, obfuscation isn't necessary when you know your stuff. So long as you keep most of the hot stuff server-side and make sure your server is written so that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep people from cracking the software without actually hacking into wherever the server is kept and messing with that but that starts to become illegal at a certain point. Not really feasible for the average pirate.

As for that XBDM modification it can be done easily by modifying xdevkit.dll (the wrapper that XRPC.dll, JRPC.dll, and JRPC2.dll use to communicate with the console) but that won't capture everything that they do. It'd be best to write your own xbdm.xex to save everything to a log or write a sniffer that captures everything sent to certain ports on your Xbox.

I suppose it's time we agree to disagree. I prefer C# whereas you prefer Java. Both are good languages that have changed the software industry as we know it. We've provided the OP with tons of information on both and so I think it's up to him now as to what he chooses to do with that information. Cheers, it was fun.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I've done Java professionally for a number of years and I still prefer C#. I just think you're wrong about Java, having done both for a long time.

V

_VenoM_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I was taught VB in school during 9th grade, i taught myself basic ASM, C++ and C# over the next 5-6 years and never touched VB since that class.

Tsubasa

Tsubasa

Lurker
Reaction score
Sin$
Self teaching is the best, I learned from E-Books & a couple of video(s).

Vahkesh

Vahkesh

I'm the best get over it
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Having both self taught and taken University level programming courses. I feel that I've learned more from self teachings.

CallingChain

CallingChain

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I am self-taught.
Basically started everything to do with webmaster a year ago.

Learned a lot from tutorials and expirementing on my own.
I believe I have learned more in the past year and have advanced throughout time.

Pretty much know a lot about MyBB. :smile:

Acquaintances

Acquaintances

Reaction score
Sin$
I started as self taught, but never got too far. I think I learn better in a school environment, so I am now in college, looking to get a degree in Computer Information Systems!

C

Cyimking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Would like to know how the majority of people learned or how they actually started programming.
Half and Half. I learned how to program at home and I learned how to engineer / develop software in college. It goes hand to hand.

S

Short

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I started self taught and I would recommend this for anybody else. Most classes will get very dry and people lose interest. One of the most annoying parts of learning from school is if you are trying to learn a new language and you have to sit through the whole this is a variable...and this is a string...this is a boolean. It gets very repetitive.

CHEMO

CHEMO

I know a thing or two about a thing or two..
Hidden Devils
Services Donator Contest Sponsor
Reaction score
Sin$
Self progression is the way to go my friend, you can't rely on others to teach you what you want to be taught. You can take courses along the way that will aid you for your journey.. If you have the money that is.. If not there's ways around this, google has a FREE teaching program to learn the basics of Python and other Misc. languages.. The best way I found to learn, is hands on.. and in some classes/courses you rarely get that option.​

Fleak

Fleak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Self taught, I could learn what I want, when I wanted to. Instead of someone teaching me things I didn't want to know.

Loui2

Loui2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If I would have gone solely the self taught route then I wouldn't be learning Discrete Math which is ****ing amazing to learn for programming and algebra/pre-calc/calculus/etc which is just simply ****ing amazing to know for programming.

SneakiestKent

SneakiestKent

Black Desert Online
Lifetime
A Milli Artist Treasure Hunter
Reaction score
Sin$
I taught myself; I tried some high school classes but they were just things I already knew.

Top Bottom
Login
Register