Se7enSins Official x360key Thread

Discussion in 'Modding Tutorials' started by RaidersFan, Oct 13, 2011 with 1,488 replies and 223,685 views.

1. RaidersFan

RaidersFan 7S PokéMaster

[​IMG]
    Update

Do not ask me how to get the drive keys from either a phat or slim xbox. You can go to the Xbox 360 Support section for that. I can only help you adjust your drive key after you already have it, and through every step of the x360key installation.
    View the updates and errors before asking questions. I may have already answered your question.
    I understand that you may want to pm me with questions, but that will not make me answer anything faster than if you just posted the question in here. The more posts and views in this thread, the more popular it will become on search engines and to this site. So please, ask your question in here, I check this thread everyday and will not pass up your question. Thank you.

• A quick explanation of what the xkey is. It's a ODDE (optical disc drive emulator) that will allow you to play iso's from a external hdd or usb drive. So you will make a backup of your game, insert the .iso file into a memory source of your choosing, and you can play them on your xbox without needing to modify or "hack" your xbox. A dvd drive is not needed to run the xkey, as long as you can obtain the firmware from it, you can use the xkey without having a dvd drive installed.
    • When you receive the xkey, you will have firmware 1.01. I would highly suggest that you scroll down to the "errors" section of this thread, and follow the tutorial on the "corrupted SD card" and use the 1.06 SD Image. That image will create the partitions in your SD card that will prevent it from corrupting as easy. And it will also make the updating process easier. When you open the file, you will notice 3 .img files in it. I explain what each one does under the download file.
    • This page has been made with mine and the works of others. This is to be a "1 stop shop" for all members looking for help with their xkey needs.
    NEW:

OLD:

You must have the connections in like this in order for this to work
    [​IMG]

Sections:

Updates
    How to Set up and Operate ISOMenu
    How to use DVDMenu
    How to use wireless adapter
    Compatibility
    How to Carve a hole in your fat xbox for the key
    How to Operate the Remote
    How to update the xkey using your HDD
    Errors
    -FPGA Error
    -AP25 Error
    -Recovering from corrupt SD Card
    -No firmware detected error
    - Xkey Symbol on Remote Error
    -Finishing Xbox Update after its been started
    Official Retailers
    Information straight from the xk3y team
    Official Interview with x360Key main developer

Updates

How to Set up and Operate ISOMenu

So the ISOMenu is a way to select your games from your console, instead of using the xkey remote. To use this menu, you must follow these steps:

1. Open up the .cfg file that you obtain from the updates in Notepad
    2. Edit the line "ISOMENU=N" to "ISOMENU=Y"
    3. Apply the .cfg file to your sd card as you normally would while updating the xkey

How to apply pictures to your sd card for use with the ISOMenu (Not required)
    1. Find a picture of the game your looking for (must be under 200kb)
    - I will suggest Free Covers
    2. Give the picture the same name as the game it is intended for
    - Halo 3.iso
    Halo 3.jpg
    - Red Dead Redemption.iso
    Red Dead Redemption.jpg
    3. Put the .jpg in the same folder as the .iso

Now to operate the ISOMenu

1. Start your xbox
    2. When your HDD has been found by the remote, open the DVD tray
    3. The remote will now read "ISO MENU" and your xbox will read as "Mixed Media Disc"
    4. Go to "My Pictures". With the newest XBL update, you must hit the dashboard button and launch "My Pictures" from in there
    5. Select "Current Disc" then your external source that has your games on it.
    6. Find your game and select it.
    7. Now hit the dashboard button and go "home"
    8. Hit the X or Y button (depending on your dashboard version) and your game will launch

Video tutorial on how to operate the ISOMenu

How to use DVDMenu

How to use wireless adapter
    Requirements: wifi dongle
    xkey remote
    usb hub

Step 1: Update your xkey to firmware 1.12
    Step 2: modify your .cfg file
    SSID=YOUR_NTWORK_BROADCAST_ID (the name of your wireless receiver)​
    #PSK=YOUR_WPA_PASSKEY (note, you must delete the # in front of PSK)
    KEY=YOUR_DONGLES_UNIQUE_KEY (when you order your wifi dongle, you will receive a special key, copy that key here)
    MENUISO=N (you cannot use the ISOMENU with the wifi dongle, it must be turned to N)

Step 3: Update your sd card with the new .cfg file
    Step 4: Plug your xkey remote, external harddrive/usb drive, and wifi dongle into your usb hub
    Step 5: If you entered the information into the .cfg file correctly, your xkey remote will read "Network OK" and if its wrong, it will read "Network Key Invalid"
    Step 6: If it reads "Network OK", then you will go to the "about xkey" section on your xkey remote, and scroll down to where you will see "SSID" and "IP". The SSID will be the name of the network you are signed into, and the IP will be the address that you will enter into your internet browser.
    Note: If you are going to use your smart phone for the internet browser, then you must be signed into the network.
    Step 7: Use your controller and open the dvd tray.
    Step 8: Using your internet device, follow the on screen navigations to select your game.
    [​IMG]

Compatibility

Every xbox is operational with the x360key. As long as you can get the DVD Drive key, your good to go with the xkey.

How to Carve a hole in your fat xbox for the key
    only required for generation 1 xkey​

Requirements:
    1. Sharp small scissors (Used to drill through the plastic)
    2. Razor blade (Used to discard little pieces of access plastic, make it look nicer)
    [​IMG]

Steps:
    1:Remove the metal sheeting inside the upper shell.
    [​IMG]
    2:Put the upper shell on, making sure your not "pinching" the cord.
    [​IMG]
    3:Sketch out a box 11/16 of a inch by 1/2 inch. This will be above the ethernet connection.
    [​IMG]
    4:Notice how the hole will be between these two notches from the inside.
    [​IMG]
    5:Start the "drilling" with the sharp scissors. Continue to make circles.
    [​IMG]
    6:As the hole gets bigger, you can use the razor blade to round the corners.
    [​IMG]
    7:You will eventually get a smooth cut hole.
    [​IMG]
    8:Put the buttom shell on. Now insure the cord rides the divit shown in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    9:It will be a tight squeeze, but the head of the cord will fit in the hole.
    [​IMG]
    10:Place the HDD guard on top.
    [​IMG]
    11:Place your HDD back on, notice how there is no "pinching" of the cord.
    [​IMG]

How to Operate the Remote

The first thing your going to want to do is open your dvd tray. You can do this by hitting the "open tray" button on your xbox
    [​IMG]

The remote will now read "Tray:Open"
    [​IMG]

Scroll up and click on "Select Game"
    [​IMG]

Even with your hdd plugged in, you may get this screen saying "0 HDD"
    [​IMG]

Simply disconnect your hdd and plug it back in until you get it saying "1 HDD". Now enter your harddrive
    [​IMG]

The next screen will say "360" followed by the name of your game
    [​IMG]

Note:
    If you turn on your console by using the "eject" button, then your key will be put on "passthru" mode. you cannot operate the key at that time. passthru mode is for your dvd drive. going in passthru mode will allow you to use your dvd drive and access xbl safetly. turning on your console using your controller or the power button will give put you to "emulation" mode, that activates the keys' capabilities.

How to update the xkey using your HDD

Errors

FPGA Error
    This video was created by Se7enSins user tw1st3d n1ps and will explain to you how to fix the FPGA Error

AP25 Error

You may notice that if you try and play a AP25 game that you get a error "AP25 error, reset xbox". Now there are two ways of fixing this.
    1. Updating your dashboard to anything higher than 2.0.12599.0
    or
    2. Adding this "dae.bin" file (http://www.mediafire...838z561dv58zswz) to the games folder in your hdd. i.e. USB:/games/dae.bin

Recovering from a Corrupt SD Card
    -The Artificer

No Firmware Detected error
    This error will become known after you've installed the xkey and try to launch your xbox. The xkey remote will read "No Firmware Detected". It is no problem at all and very easy to fix.

Requirements:
    Lizard Tool Box (LTB) - http://www.mediafire.com/?a8ug79hlzo0hc5k
    LTPlus 3.0b - http://cfwfileset.blogspot.co.uk/

Steps:
    1 - Open LTB and click the no button on the boxes that will first appear

2 - Click on the CFW Generator tab
    [​IMG]

3 - Click on the Load FTW button and load up your firmware
    [​IMG]

4 - After loading, the "Fw Information" and "Key" lines will be filled in. Now go down to "CFW Fileset Template" and after hitting the drop box, click on "LTPLUS 2.00b FILESET"
    [​IMG]

5 - After hitting the "CFW Save as..." button you will be presented with a "Save As" box, from here, depending on if you have a slim or phat xbox, you will save it as "firmware.bin" or "dummy.bin"
    [​IMG]

6 - Insert your new .bin file into your sd card as you did before the error appeared

Xkey Symbol on Remote Error
    So this error appears with the Xkey symbol and your current firmware showing on the remote. You cannot pass this screen if this error appears, but it is very simple to fix in only 1 step.

Step 1: Re-check the connections with the xkey pcp board inside the xbox.
    [​IMG]
    Found by RaveThat Turtle

Finishing Xbox Update after its been started
    to avoid this error at all, simply update your xbox before launching any games.
    found by JaneD

Official Retailers

Information straight from the xk3y team

Code (Text):
    http://x360key.com

Official Interview with x360Key main developer

Note: If i used someones work without crediting them, please pm a link to where it was originally posted, and i will credit them
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    _Pride_, shubies1, Scrappybe and 91 others like this.
  2. Keysnsamples

Keysnsamples Diet Moderator Diet Moderators

Thanks for the tutorial! Will help lots of people. :thumbup1:
    StevieTheologo likes this.
  3. RaidersFan

RaidersFan 7S PokéMaster

i have a tutorial in the tutorial section, check it out. it includes the operation of the remote
    _Pride_ and subram like this.
  4. slvrndblck34

slvrndblck34 Getting There

Raaaiiiidddeeerrrrsssss!!!!! I'm getting my x360 key tomorrow  but thanks for this
  5. foreverkilling1

foreverkilling1 Newbie

Well done mate Nice TUT i see you spent a long time on it keep up the good work :thumbup:
  6. christianbale13

christianbale13 Newbie

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Wow, you probably don't know how much you saved my *** with this tutorial. I managed to f*** up my SD because it never completed updating to 1.04, just continually displayed "UPDATING, PLEASE WAIT" so I was forced to turn it off. Your recovery steps I found are exactly what I needed. Thanks again!
    RaidersFan likes this.
  7. RaidersFan

RaidersFan 7S PokéMaster

No prob, but credit goes to who found that out, I added their name to the bottom of it...but this is what I heard, now I haven't tried it yet, but I will this weekend. Delete the trash folder that came on the sd card. Apparently those are just files left over from the factory and are not needed. Apparently that's the reason it wont update for a lot of people. So imma delete it for when 1.05 is released, and see if it updates right.
  8. Mr Crush

Mr Crush → Crush ←

Great tutorial, will be getting one of these for x-mas :frantics:
  9. RaidersFan

RaidersFan 7S PokéMaster

1 week after signing up on xbl i'm still not flagged. things are looking great.
  10. Batman

Batman Enthusiast

so just to be clear you can actually play games online with this? I think imma have to get me one lol
  11. RaidersFan

RaidersFan 7S PokéMaster

yes. i've played halo reach today.
  12. Nate

Nate Too Nasty

What all is necessary to actually get the dump from my drive?
  13. Ares

Ares Just a Small Town Girl Livin' in a Lonely World

Great tutorial, man! I wasn't aware that x360keys were this awesome. I just thought they helped you flash an Xbox or something. I'm debating getting one. How difficult is the installation? Like, when it comes to doing stuff with the motherboard and whatnot? Is there a possibility of f*cking up my Xbox? From the tutorial, it seems pretty straightforward.
    Also, this works on any retail Xbox, correct?
  14. RaidersFan

RaidersFan 7S PokéMaster

there's multiple ways to get the dump. you can check this part the forum and try to find a tutorial for your own dvd drive:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/forum/90-firmware-hack-tutorials/

first though, find out what drive you have

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm

what i did was bought the maximus 360 lizard. it's 100 dollars, but the easiest way to get the dump off any xbox

http://www.360lizard.com/website/
    the installation is very easy, everything i did in that video was from start to finish. just "plug and play" essentially. no, your xbox will not get f***ed up. there's a possibility to "brick" the sd card, yes, but there's a tutorial up above to show you how to fix it. i've messed my sd card up once, and followed that tutorial and it's good as new. it will work for any fat xbox, yes. follow this guide to see if it'll follow any slim, as of now, it won't. but the xk3y team is always coming up with updates and their working on making every xbox compatable.

[​IMG]
    1 person likes this.
  15. Ares

Well. I know what I'm getting for Christmas. Well, more like buying it myself, but still.
  16. RaidersFan

RaidersFan 7S PokéMaster

Its very worth it. I recommend it highly. Being able to download games. Not needing a .dvd file. Not having to buy vertbatim dvds. It really is as good as it seems. The best part is not having to worry about firmware updates. And its so much safer than having a custom firmware on a dvd drive, because it emulates the original firmware, not a custom one. Can u hit the nominate tutorial button haha. And have others do the same.
  17. Ares

Yeah, it seems really awesome. I love having any game on my JTAG, but not being able to play online is a problem haha. And I nominated it. :tongue:
  18. DressedToKill

DressedToKill Se7en Elite

Amazing, hopefully getting one soon xD
  19. Vino

Vino Undercover LV Retired

They're really hard to get...they like fly off the shelves haha. I ordered 2 last Sunday and they won't ship till this tuesday.
  20. DressedToKill

DressedToKill Se7en Elite

Where did you order it from? There's an ad constantly on here for a site which supposedly has them in stock :P