• Start date
  • Views 35,111
ChillierNsx94

ChillierNsx94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Stock-Arrived-X360key-X360-Key-X360key-for-xBox360.jpg

This thread is meant for everyone to compare and post their hard drives that they use with their x360keys. It can be a flash drive, internal or external HDD and I will add it to the list. If you have any questions regarding the x360key itself or using it, please refer to the Official x360key thread.

If someone could pin this up under the other official x360key thread that would be helpful because these 2 guides kind of go hand-in-hand.

Sections:
Using Your HDD
Compatible HDDs
Troubleshooting HDDs

Using Your HDD
(Just a heads up this is for putting games on your HDD not configuring or updating your x360key)​
1. First off make sure that you format your HDD to NTFS format.​
2. Create a folder called "games" (no quotes) and place that in the root of your HDD. The x360key will only read the files that are in the games folder.​
3. Plug in your HDD to either the USB dongle or the x360key remote via USB.​
4. You can either use the remote to select the HDD and then the game you want or you can eject the tray right away and when it says mixed media disc you can navigate over to the picture viewer app which is the iso menu and select your game that way.​
5. Then hit the xbox guide button and hit Y to go back to dashboard and eject the tray and then play the game.​
6. When you want to switch games just eject the current game and go back to the iso menu to select your game. (I personally prefer to use the iso menu than the xkey remote to select games)​
BONUS - If you want to add a picture icon to your game to view when in the iso menu you can add in a JPEG picture with the same name as the game name. (Add image in the same directory as the iso).​
Compatible HDDs
(RED – Yes Power Adapter, BLUE - No Power Adapter)

Flash Drives
16GB Kingston DataTraveler
16GB Kingston SDHC in USB Reader
16GB SanDisk Flash Drive
16GB Toshiba USB Flash Drive
16GB Verbatim USB Flash Drive
Internal Drives
2.5in Black eSATA USB External Hard Drive Enclosure for SATA HDD - 120GB Fujitsu MHW2120BH 5400RPM
2.5in Black eSATA USB External Hard Drive Enclosure for SATA HDD - 320GB Seagate ST310005 7200RPM
External Drives
HP Simple Save 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
Iomega Select 2TB USB 2.0 Black External Hard Drive
Fantom USB 3.0 1.5 TB External Hard Drive
Intenso external powered HD 2 TB
Iomega Ego Blackbelt 500GB
Iomega Prestige Superspeed 1TB
LaCie Hard Disk 500GB
LaCinema Classic HD 1TB
Samsung 2.5 USB 3.0 External HD 1TB
Samsung G2 320GB
Samsung G3 1.5TB
Samsung G3 2TB
Samsung HM500JI 500GB
Samsung M2 750GB USB 2.0
Samsung S2 Portable 250GB
Samsung Story Station 2TB USB 2.0
Seagate 2TB FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB USB 3.0
Seagate External Hard Drive 320GB
Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB
Western Digital Elements 640GB USB 2.0
Western Digital 1.5TB My Book Essential
Western Digital 2TB Elements Desktop
Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB USB 2.0
Western Digital My Passport 500GB USB 3.0
Western Digital My Passport 1TB USB 3.0
Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0

(Orange - Multiple users can't get it to work, Green - Few users haven't been able to get it to work)​
Incompatible Drives
Seagate Slim 500GB External USB 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive

That's all for now! If you see any mistakes or have any HDD's that you would like to add just post it in the comments below!
Troubleshooting HDDs

No Games Found In Your HDD (From checking the xkey remote or ISO menu)
1. Make sure that you have your HDD formatted correctly and have a folder called games with your iso's in them.
2. If you have that correct than you might have a issue with your x360key or config file. Check the updates section and ISO menu section in the x360key thread.

No HDD Found (x360key shows 0 HDDs to select from on remote)
1. First check the list of HDDs and see if yours is on there.
2. If it is than make sure it’s set up right and you have the external power connected if it needs one.
3. If it’s a HDD that only has a USB cord you might need to use either an USB Y cable or an USB hub to provide extra power to the device.

Otherwise if the device is not on the list then try some of the above steps and check out other sources to see if someone else has got that HDD working with the x360key.

Help Others
If you have a drive thats working and not on the list then please post below.
If you have a drive that dosn't work then please post that below as well and I'll add it to the incompatible drives list.

Below are 2 pictures that show how to use either of the usb extensions
USB Y Connection
cabusb-yblack.jpg

USB Hub Connection
mwv7kn.jpg

Last edited:
L

lake_24

Reaction score
Sin$
i have a 1tb seagate backup plus portable drive and games load and start playing but freeze and receive the dirty disc error at random points in the game.

S

soflyB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i have a 1tb seagate backup plus portable drive and games load and start playing but freeze and receive the dirty disc error at random points in the game.
Is your HDD getting enough power?

L

lake_24

Reaction score
Sin$
i have it connected to the remote screen.how can i tell if its getting enough power?is there something i need to use to make sure it gets enough power?

ChillierNsx94

ChillierNsx94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i have it connected to the remote screen.how can i tell if its getting enough power?is there something i need to use to make sure it gets enough power?

If possible try purchasing the USB Y cable because my WD Passport works fine with PC but needs a USB Y cable to work with my xkey.

iiHydraHD

iiHydraHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
will this work i have a 1tb seagate backup plus portable drive and it dosnt have a power cable its only a usb cable?

pmaster10

pmaster10

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Stock-Arrived-X360key-X360-Key-X360key-for-xBox360.jpg

This thread is meant for everyone to compare and post their hard drives that they use with their x360keys. It can be a flash drive, internal or external HDD and I will add it to the list. If you have any questions regarding the x360key itself or using it, please refer to the Official x360key thread.

If someone could pin this up under the other official x360key thread that would be helpful because these 2 guides kind of go hand-in-hand.

Sections:
Using Your HDD
Compatible HDDs
Troubleshooting HDDs

Using Your HDD

(Just a heads up this is for putting games on your HDD not configuring or updating your x360key)
1. First off make sure that you format your HDD to NTFS format.
2. Create a folder called "games" (no quotes) and place that in the root of your HDD. The x360key will only read the files that are in the games folder.
3. Plug in your HDD to either the USB dongle or the x360key remote via USB.
4. You can either use the remote to select the HDD and then the game you want or you can eject the tray right away and when it says mixed media disc you can navigate over to the picture viewer app which is the iso menu and select your game that way.
5. Then hit the xbox guide button and hit Y to go back to dashboard and eject the tray and then play the game.
6. When you want to switch games just eject the current game and go back to the iso menu to select your game. (I personally prefer to use the iso menu than the xkey remote to select games)
BONUS - If you want to add a picture icon to your game to view when in the iso menu you can add in a JPEG picture with the same name as the game name. (Add image in the same directory as the iso).

Compatible HDDs

(RED – Yes Power Adapter, BLUE - No Power Adapter)

Flash Drives
16GB Kingston DataTraveler
16GB Kingston SDHC in USB Reader
16GB SanDisk Flash Drive
16GB Toshiba USB Flash Drive
16GB Verbatim USB Flash Drive

Internal Drives
2.5in Black eSATA USB External Hard Drive Enclosure for SATA HDD - 120GB Fujitsu MHW2120BH 5400RPM
2.5in Black eSATA USB External Hard Drive Enclosure for SATA HDD - 320GB Seagate ST310005 7200RPM

External Drives
HP Simple Save 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
Iomega Select 2TB USB 2.0 Black External Hard Drive
Fantom USB 3.0 1.5 TB External Hard Drive
Intenso external powered HD 2 TB
Iomega Ego Blackbelt 500GB
Iomega Prestige Superspeed 1TB
LaCie Hard Disk 500GB
LaCinema Classic HD 1TB
Samsung 2.5 USB 3.0 External HD 1TB
Samsung G2 320GB
Samsung G3 1.5TB
Samsung G3 2TB
Samsung HM500JI 500GB
Samsung M2 750GB USB 2.0
Samsung S2 Portable 250GB
Samsung Story Station 2TB USB 2.0
Seagate 2TB FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB USB 3.0
Seagate External Hard Drive 320GB
Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB
Western Digital Elements 640GB USB 2.0
Western Digital 1.5TB My Book Essential
Western Digital 2TB Elements Desktop
Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB USB 2.0
Western Digital My Passport 500GB USB 3.0
Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0

Incompatible Drives
N/A

Thats all for now! If you see any mistakes or have any HDD's that you would like to add just post it in the comments below!

Troubleshooting HDDs

No Games Found In Your HDD (From checking the xkey remote or ISO menu)
1. Make sure that you have your HDD formatted correctly and have a folder called games with your iso's in them.
2. If you have that correct than you might have a issue with your x360key or config file. Check the updates section and ISO menu section in the x360key thread.

No HDD Found (x360key shows 0 HDDs to select from on remote)
1. First check the list of HDDs and see if yours is on there.
2. If it is than make sure it’s set up right and you have the external power connected if it needs one.
3. If it’s a HDD that only has a USB cord you might need to use either an USB Y cable or an USB hub to provide extra power to the device.

Otherwise if the device is not on the list then try some of the above steps and check out other sources to see if someone else has got that HDD working with the x360key.

Help Others
If you have a drive thats working and not on the list then please post below.
If you have a drive that dosn't work then please post that below as well and I'll add it to the incompatible drives list.

Below are 2 pictures that show how to use either of the usb extensions
USB Y Connection
cabusb-yblack.jpg

USB Hub Connection
mwv7kn.jpg

may i ask what drive you are useing?

Soldier

Soldier

Reporting for duty, sir!
Legendary Veteran Free Hoster Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Western Digital My Passport 1TB USB 3.0 works with my xk3y.

w159

w159

Gold Record Host
Frame In Gold Grizzled Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Toshiba and Western Digital 2TB passport also work just fine. Both can be purchased at Wal-Mart or BestBuy. Also, the pictures need to be update in the OP. There is a new revision to the remotes and extra power supply.

J

JungleMonkeykk

I'm #Magical.
Mr. Nice Guy Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
W
Toshiba and Western Digital 2TB passport also work just fine. Both can be purchased at Wal-Mart or BestBuy. Also, the pictures need to be update in the OP. There is a new revision to the remotes and extra power supply.
Will buy :smile:

halolordkiller3

halolordkiller3

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Any USB drive/HDD works as long as its formatted for NTFS.

J

JungleMonkeykk

I'm #Magical.
Reaction score
Sin$
Well the xbox 360 phat hard drive doesnt work thru the transfer cable, you probably need to open it up, and put it in a enclosure>> that reads usb 2.0
:/

J

JungleMonkeykk

I'm #Magical.
Reaction score
Sin$
Taser

Taser

༼ つ ◉_◉ ༽つ
Bright Idea Modder Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Last edited:
halolordkiller3

halolordkiller3

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
its formatted to NTFC

^ exactly. The xbox HDD's are formated in a specific way. You have to remove a few things. I would recommend trying out Eatons FATXexplorer program. Best Xbox Memory manager program ever!

J

JungleMonkeykk

I'm #Magical.
Reaction score
Sin$
^ exactly. The xbox HDD's are formated in a specific way. You have to remove a few things. I would recommend trying out Eatons FATXexplorer program. Best Xbox Memory manager program ever!
Mind helping me out ? Got Skype ? Add me i5core

Top Bottom
Login
Register