• Thread starter Emphasis
  • Start date
  • Views 9,600
E

Emphasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Does the SD Card I use to soft mod my WII have to always stay in the wii? Or can I remove it and use it for other things?

I plan on burning backups, and playing off the dvd-r.

B

burritoboy9984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Does the SD Card I use to soft mod my WII have to always stay in the wii? Or can I remove it and use it for other things?

I plan on burning backups, and playing off the dvd-r.

Depends on how you mod it/what you want to do with it...

If you just want to play backed up discs, there is a neogamma channel. Not a forwarder, which wouldn't need for an sd card to be in (as the code is built into the channel). But without that channel, you would need an sd card. So I guess the answer is no, but it would be easier to always have one :smile:

-Erik

Upvote 0
E

Emphasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So if I have a card specifically for this...the card will basically be where the software is that opens the dvd/game rather than the channel?

Upvote 0
B

burritoboy9984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ya, basically it works like this...

You can launch apps from an sd card 2 ways..

1) A channel forwarder

This acts as a shortcut on a desktop does, and simply runs the app on the sd card in the specified location

2) Through the homebrew channel

This essentially does the same as above, but doesn't require a channel on the home screen

However, it is possible to compile a channel to include a .dol/.elf file (which are wii executable files)...

What method are you trying to play backups with? USB or disc and we can go from there...

-Erik

Upvote 0
E

Emphasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
However, it is possible to compile a channel to include a .dol/.elf file (which are wii executable files)...

What method are you trying to play backups with? USB or disc and we can go from there...

-Erik

Well, if I can do an external USB HDD, like a 1tb hard drive connected via USB...I'd rather do that. So I don't have to burn discs and keep taking them in and pulling them out...

But if that isn't an option, I'll just go with discs.

Upvote 0
B

burritoboy9984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
check this thread out and read it through... At the top, I have links for files to copy to your sd card, and your usb drive (after you have formatted them properly)... Post in there if you have any questions :smile:

Also, if you haven't modded your wii yet, follow the link in that post to mod it :smile:

-Erik

Upvote 0
moonstone_77

moonstone_77

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just reading these posts an I was thinking when you softmod ur Wii what important files need to stay on the SD card all the time to still make things work. I'm asking cos I tried to download missing covers for nes and SNES games through wiiflow. But it said not enough memory as these covers download to the SD card can these be changed to download to an external drive. Now I've got a 16gb SD ca d in my Wii so obviously its full. So what files or programs need to stay on it. Or can I just transfer all the files over to my external HDD and run them from there

Upvote 0
Jamdoogen

Jamdoogen

Let's turn forever, you and me
Reaction score
Sin$
Once you have soft modded it really depends on some stuff.

The Homebrew channel is stored on the Wii's local storage. But if you want to run Homebrew you can still use the HDD after you have everything setup. Theoretically you don't need it after exploiting but if you have a White Wii you can install bootmii... Which needs an SD card.

Your just better of keeping it in there, or buying a new one if you use it a lot.

Upvote 0
moonstone_77

moonstone_77

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yep got a white Wii. And got loads of rubbish on the SD card gonna have to sort through and see what really needs to stay on the card

Upvote 0
Jamdoogen

Jamdoogen

Reaction score
Sin$
Yep got a white Wii. And got loads of rubbish on the SD card gonna have to sort through and see what really needs to stay on the card
Definitely install bootmii and dump your NAND RIGHT NOW this is a must

Upvote 0
C

chayliss

Reaction score
Sin$
Definitely install bootmii and dump your NAND RIGHT NOW this is a must

i have a brick ton of saved bookmarks of research and this is where im going to start. dump the nand is to make a savepoint of the system yes? then go with bootmii. then im going to do look to do things manually in case of lack of support etc..
i have 1 gig sd card 2 4 gig and then an sd reader with a 32 gig micro sdhc card. also i have 2x usb 16 gb thumb drives. and an older 230 gig sd hdd and an usb3.0 1tb (i hope my 2nd hdd which is 240gb will fit in my ps3fat that has 60gb)

so thanks bro.. give a reply if you see this

Upvote 0
Jamdoogen

Jamdoogen

Reaction score
Sin$
i have a brick ton of saved bookmarks of research and this is where im going to start. dump the nand is to make a savepoint of the system yes? then go with bootmii. then im going to do look to do things manually in case of lack of support etc..
i have 1 gig sd card 2 4 gig and then an sd reader with a 32 gig micro sdhc card. also i have 2x usb 16 gb thumb drives. and an older 230 gig sd hdd and an usb3.0 1tb (i hope my 2nd hdd which is 240gb will fit in my ps3fat that has 60gb)

so thanks bro.. give a reply if you see this
Yes, certainly backup your base nand. Kinda a savepoint of the system, yes. I mean, I'm not to technical on this stuff but i believe the nand stores the core os (Speaking from Xbox 360 modding myself) so, it's very important.

Any size SD card would do as long as it could fit bootmii and your nand.

- I would recommend dumping your nand before installing anything homebrew, It's a bit extreme, I know, but it can prevent so many errors/

My wii, although i no longer use it, it has a couple of bad blocks in it, and at one point it wouldn't boot, thankfully i had a backup from a couple of installs ago so i could fix it. It really can save your ***!

- Jamdoogen

Upvote 0
Top Bottom
Login
Register