Refunds a Reality for Mass Effect 3 Origin Users?

Discussion in 'Homepage' started by OctaVariuM, Mar 21, 2012 with 20 replies and 8,472 views.

1. OctaVariuM

OctaVariuM The Void Retired

View the Post on the Blog
  2. swedish baker11

swedish baker11 Enthusiast

IMO, they are taking this too far. Just because of the ending people are just being dumb and ignorant and forgetting that it is just a video game.
    Capt Numbnutz likes this.
  3. Vexx

Vexx Grammar Nazi™

Dude... D:

I haven't finished Mass Effect 3 yet, the multiplayer is too addicting. Everyone needs to STFU about the ending xD. I mean, has any Mass Effect player EVER played Assassins Creed? If you've played, then you know what i'm talking about. The endings are always utter bulls***.
  4. Jack of Blades

Jack of Blades Getting There

I expected to read this from either a new member, or one who has shown up a few times in the uglier parts of the "Favorite, Worst, and Most Annoying" thread. Not everyone is going to have the same view on the Assassin's Creed games as you do, and I also realize that not everyone would agree with me, but the games or parts of them can't be that bad if they've had so much success.

I myself, as you can probably tell, love the Assassin's Creed series and while i'll admit that they are nowhere near perfect, would not say that the endings are anywhere near utter bulls***. Most people that I've talked to love the endings and want to figure out/talk more about them while anticipating the next installment.

OT: I have yet to play Mass Effect 3 but with all this talk about the ending it's starting to make me very curious...
  5. Larry David

Larry David Curbing Enthusiast

Here's what the Bioware founder has to say about the whole thing:

As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

I believe passionately that games are an art form, and that the power of our medium flows from our audience, who are deeply involved in how the story unfolds, and who have the uncontested right to provide constructive criticism. At the same time, I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team. The team and I have been thinking hard about how to best address the comments on ME3’s endings from players, while still maintaining the artistic integrity of the game.

Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it. The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us. This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. We’re already working hard to do that.

To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game – industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. I’m honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team – we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We’re committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, I’d ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.

Ray

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/
  6. Carl

Carl Retired Retired

The thing which annoys me is, from what I've heard, Mass Effect 3 is apparently a 30 hour game. People who invest that amount of time only to then decide they do not like the ending do not warrant a refund in my opinion.
    I take playing crappy games as a bad investment. If people are that concerned about the game's quality then they should perhaps wait for reviews first. Buying things at face value is always a mistake. It's a mistake we all make in day to day life, but just deal with it. People are far too arrogant with their consumer rights in my eyes.
    I suppose it's good in one sense to see that the gaming industry, which in my opinion is corrupt and greedy as hell, is taking a hit. It's just the kids who'll be filing for refunds on disappointed pretence that aggravate me.
  7. Mizore

Mizore The Snow Fairy

If people could just get a refund everytime a game was ****** then a lot of dev's would be broke.
  8. Tyler

Tyler Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips &

Really? A refund because it wasn't good enough? I say gamers quit whining and deal with it. Seriously. People are pathetic. Sure, let's play a game and get our money back after we just enjoyed said game.
  9. Evil Fefe

Evil Fefe Otaku

Okay, The ending is pure crap, The Assassins Creed games are made every year and just give you a Cliffhanger ending. Me3's ending is not a cliffhanger, As I stated in the other thread about Mass Effect. If you want my full fledged opinion go there.
  10. Vexx

Vexx Grammar Nazi™

Wow way to take a jokingly posted comment and take it anally. The reason I said anything about Assassin's Creed is because the endings always happen right before something amazing happens, or ect. Like at the end of Brotherhood. I LOVE Assassin's Creed though.
  11. ForeverLoading

ForeverLoading Contributor

Wait, so I can buy it, beat it, then get a refund?
  12. Jack of Blades

Didn't mean to seem so serious, I kind of blame my avatar for that. I apologize.
  13. DEFTONED

DEFTONED ††† Retired

I agree with what you said to a certain extent, but after playing the series with around 120 hours of gameplay + DLC purchases, they could have provided more scenarios for the ending. Some people are taking it too far, as for me, this isn't the first video game that has an ending that sucked so I'm not going to take it any further than that. A lot of people have distanced themselves from reality and have created a "bond" with the characters and that's why it has them all up in arms. I can understand the frustrating elements of the day one DLC and online pass purchase, but people do need to get a grip on life that it is, in fact, just a ****ing video game.
  14. Boxxy Babee

Boxxy Babee Enthusiast

This made my day, Not even joking. But on topic, I hate when people complain constantly about a games ending, This is only one of many parts of the game, If you enjoyed the gameplay leading up to the ending, You enjoy the multi-player, You enjoy the prequels. Then why piss and moan about it having a bad ending. If you got a refund for any game with a bad feature or angle. Then FIFA, CoD, NBA, Forza, Assassins Creed, any game and/or developer in fact would be out of business. No game is perfect, The amount of effort they put into the game I feel sorry for them that they have such a poor excuse of a fan base as them/you people, the sheer audacity it takes to ask for a refund from a game/franchise you supposedly "support". Criticizing and Straight up being a **** are two different things.
    Vexx likes this.
  15. Bossman4

Bossman4 PC Gaming Master Race Commander Diet Moderators

people are ****ing stupid. its 60$, you played the WHOLE game, you do not deserve a refund at all. That would be like me going out and buying a pizza, then eating the whole thing, just to take the empty box back and saying "it tasted like **** but i ate the whole thing anyways" would you get a refund? no. People need to suck it up, they obviously enjoyed the game enough to play the whole damn thing but now that the series is over they want there money back? Its pathetic, go out and get a job and work one day to make your money back.
  16. Vexx

Vexx Grammar Nazi™

Fable FTW.
    Jack of Blades likes this.
  17. brian1999

brian1999 Newbie

[​IMG]Just because of the ending people are just being dumb and ignorant and forgetting that it is just a video game.
  18. iProScopes

iProScopes Contributor

That's what renting is for...
    Apparently everyone forgot about that.
  19. Jack of Blades

You, my friend, have just won the game lol
  20. duff

duff Petrolsexual Retired

I don't know how I feel about this yet. On one hand, I am happy customers are finally being listened to; on the other, I feel like it isn't a good reason. I was disappointed in a lot of games I have bought but never pushed it for a refund. Take the hit like everyone else and trade it in or sell it.

So we should all receive some refunds for every COD game we bought next right?