Reball with heatgun?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support' started by irish3323, Jul 17, 2011 with 6 replies and 2,358 views.

1. irish3323

irish3323 Newbie

So I have my heatgun with me and all my stencils, vaccuum pen, etc. I have lifted the GPU before with the HeatGun and didn't damage the board at all. Do you think that after the lifted GPU I could simply reball the xbox?
  2. majik655

majik655 Enthusiast

Wouldn't the problem be putting it back on? Without it sliding or moving? And getting ALL every last ball to melt correctly?

Getting it off would be easy and if you have your stencil and such you can lay the balls down...

so the only problem would be it sliding around when melting...and making sure everything is melted.

I would like to know how it goes for you so reply back if you do, do it.
  3. irish3323

irish3323 Newbie

I have my heat gun set to low air so the balls dont move when re-soldering them to the GPU, and when putting the chip back on the board. If it is successful I will put a Video/Tutorial on here because it could mean more people reball and its a lot cheaper.
  4. Jtag4Fun

Jtag4Fun Getting There

well, you would need a reballing jig to get new balls onto the gpu. this is gonna cost you a fair amount. Also it would be very uneven heat, and may burn up the gpu with the heat gun. I find it a very slim chance that you will successfully reball with a heat gun, but if you want to ggive it a try, more power to you.
  5. fishbutt2

fishbutt2 Newbie

I am very interested in trying this. I usually post on a different forum but I am starting to research more and more here. Any good resources in the differences between heat guns and rework stations? I am a hobbyist and not too concerned with trying something that might work. Almost thinking I would need alot of space between the gun and the balls, also a pre balled chip. From the video I saw it seems impossible to ship but I am still looking into that. I will duplicate my post on here, keep in mind it is a work in progress :)
  6. Fire30

Fire30 Senior Member

there is a proof of concept reball with a heatgun at xbox experts... idk if he put the gpu back on though
  7. Gnarles

Gnarles Enthusiast

You cant control the heat produced by a heatgun very well. You have to put it on one of two settings and keep it moving so you dont ruin any of the chips. I guess that you COULD do a reball with a heatgun. I doubt it would work most of the time, however.