What's new

Question for any "professional" website designers.

Clepto

Clepto

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm just curious, I typically do programming on the backend of things(PHP, Java, Python, etc).

Whenever I've done websites for clients I usually buy a template, make necessary changes, and hook together any backend stuff I made.

I have a question then, for people who actually design and build templates(or custom websites, w/e), what tools do you use to do so? Do you use something like dreamweaver? Or do you just open your favorite text editor and go to town? I'm wanting to get into doing more customized sites for some clients and curious about how people go about making complex templates and stuff.

I know all the coding and stuff, more curious about the process than anything.

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Atom with several productivity plugins. Also things like kuler, flatuicolors, etc. I used to use photoshop but then css3 came along and made everything brilliant.

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm just curious, I typically do programming on the backend of things(PHP, Java, Python, etc).

Whenever I've done websites for clients I usually buy a template, make necessary changes, and hook together any backend stuff I made.

I have a question then, for people who actually design and build templates(or custom websites, w/e), what tools do you use to do so? Do you use something like dreamweaver? Or do you just open your favorite text editor and go to town? I'm wanting to get into doing more customized sites for some clients and curious about how people go about making complex templates and stuff.

I like to use Sublime Text 3.

P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
There's no right answer here.
I personally use Brackets, Sublime Text (2), PHPStorm, Dreamweaver. Those are what I personally have and have used.

It's about preference really.

Dark TwizTid

Dark TwizTid

1 + 0 = 10
Seasoned Veteran Grammar Nazi Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I wouldn't call myself professional or anything because I haven't worked on a webpage in ages, but I used a plain text editor like notepad, up until recently I started using VS, and notepad++ but they are quite different.

like P pwfdc said though, basically it's preference. Try the different editors out and choose the one you like the best.

Clepto

Clepto

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
I like to use Sublime Text 3.

I love sublime, I use it for C++ and PHP a lot.

There's no right answer here.
I personally use Brackets, Sublime Text (2), PHPStorm, Dreamweaver. Those are what I personally have and have used.

It's about preference really.

Maybe I'll give Brackets a try, I saw it a while ago but never tried it. Do you use Dreamweaver a lot? I have the adobe master suite CS6 but never really could get on board with Dreamweaver.

Thanks for the answers everyone. Trying to get better at frontend stuff instead of just doing back end.

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I've just realized OP isn't looking for what editor we use, he's looking for how we do it. I can't be bothered listing all the design stages along w/ proper layout design but if you add me on skype or something (if you want: obscurecoding) I'll answer any questions you may have.

Dreamweaver is frowned upon in the front-end community because it's seen as a nonsense software that's designed for WYSIWIG. I use small, compact, versatile, hackable editors so I can flow work across devices easier.

I've not tried out Brackets since the PSD support came rather late considering I've not seen someone design a modern site in Photoshop then transfer it in a long time. Most nowadays, including me, just build it without PSDs. Of-course we need assets that are often provided by the client or we make them ourselves. Modern sites don't take too long at all. You can rapidly create designs when you've mastered CSS(3) and understand layout creation properly.

Clepto

Clepto

Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
I've just realized OP isn't looking for what editor we use, he's looking for how we do it. I can't be bothered listing all the design stages along w/ proper layout design but if you add me on skype or something (if you want: obscurecoding) I'll answer any questions you may have.

Dreamweaver is frowned upon in the front-end community because it's seen as a nonsense software that's designed for WYSIWIG. I use small, compact, versatile, hackable editors so I can flow work across devices easier.

I've not tried out Brackets since the PSD support came rather late considering I've not seen someone design a modern site in Photoshop then transfer it in a long time. Most nowadays, including me, just build it without PSDs. Of-course we need assets that are often provided by the client or we make them ourselves. Modern sites don't take too long at all. You can rapidly create designs when you've mastered CSS(3) and understand layout creation properly.

You got any good resources for learning the new stuff in CSS3/HTML5. I know the older stuff and the basics of the new stuff, but not enough to just hop in and start going to town. Haven't really done much frontend since before CSS3 was a thing.

ObscureCoder

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You got any good resources for learning the new stuff in CSS3/HTML5. I know the older stuff and the basics of the new stuff, but not enough to just hop in and start going to town. Haven't really done much frontend since before CSS3 was a thing.
If you've down basic HTML and CSS then picking up the new stuff in HTML v5 and CSS v3 shouldn't be too hard. It's just a few tags and some new CSS attributes.

Chris7S

Chris7S

Nerd by definition, programmer by trade
Grammar Nazi Chatty Kathy Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

I have personally developed websites in every text editor between notepad to Dreamweaver. My top three text editors would have to be Notepad++, which has more uses than just HTML and web oriented languages, Coda 2 and Dreamweaver. I use Code the most as I am a Mac user but I sometimes use Dreamweaver.

Team Dire

Team Dire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
For a more design aspect of a webpage i use dreamweaver since it has a live preview so you dont have to contantly keep going back to your browser.. I suggest using dreamweaver but its your choice

High School

High School

idek
Programmer 10th Anniversary Greeter
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you need to be good at gfx, photoshop ect to produce a good website? Besides html and css.

P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you need to be good at gfx, photoshop ect to produce a good website? Besides html and css.
If you're creating mock ups, sure. I've always thought it's a good idea if you're actually going in depth with your design, however...with CSS3 a lot of people can easily do more without mockups and PSDs.

However, I suggest doing mockups so you can get an idea of what you want.

Sto 2 da b

Sto 2 da b

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My personal favorite would be Aptana Studios. It's free and works great.

Top Bottom
Login
Register