What's new

Discussion PSN Hacker caught,PlayStation Network is down; hackers claim they did it (Update)

• Thread starter Hope Estheim
  • Start date
  • Views 2,207
Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/24/6062499/playstation-network-hack-attack

playstation_network_logo.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

PlayStation Network is offline in North America, a day ahead of announced scheduled maintenance. A hacker group on Twitter is claiming its attack took the service offline.

Update: The same hacking group claiming responsibility also Tweeted a bomb threat at an American Airlines flight carrying John Smedley, the president of Sony Online Entertainment. It was diverted to Phoenix from its route into San Diego.

Users who try to log in to PSN or the PlayStation Store on their PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 consoles are given a message that PSN is down for maintenance. Sony announced Thursday that PSN would be offline for routine maintenance from noon to about 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday.

Shacknews reported that the same hacker group claimed it was able to take down servers for Blizzard Entertainment, as well as League of Legends and Path of Exile. This is unconfirmed. Blizzard's Battle.net is up as of publication time.

Polygon has reached out to representatives of Sony Computer Entertainment America to ask for more information about today's outage.

Update: The official Twitter account for PlayStation support has told users it is "working to fix the issue as soon as possible," but that it has "no time frame" for when service will be restored.

Update: Sony, through the PlayStation blog, confirmed the outage and indicated it is due to a denial-of-service attack. As of 6 p.m., PlayStation Network remains offline.

Here is the full statement:

Like other major networks around the world, the PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Network have been impacted by an attempt to overwhelm our network with artificially high traffic.

Although this has impacted your ability to access our network and enjoy our services, no personal information has been accessed.

We will continue to work towards fixing this issue and hope to have our services up and running as soon as possible.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

One of the main PSN hackers was actually a member on this forum, and I believe this is him

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=87912848

Chr0m3 x MoDz

Chr0m3 x MoDz

From the top to the fall, lessons through it all.
VIP
Sinner Services Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
LMAO love the ending touch :wink:

I'd also like to note making false bomb threats and DDOS'ng servers isn't hard and is certainly not hacking.

IIV NATHAN VII

IIV NATHAN VII

You never know for sure unless you try
Frame In Gold Modder Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
Two FBI agents are walking to your doorsteps dude,do you see an ASIO/ASIS van outside your house?
Ahh okay I see what you did, yeah you got me you clever ba*tard... lol

Nix

Nix

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
LOL, the amount of reports on this thread for the last link. Priceless. :hilarious:

MK6

MK6

Dang ol’ man..
Mythical Veteran Forum Addict Services
Reaction score
Sin$
This was on the news a bit ago, I don't think they knew what they were talking about lol.

Link

Link

I had eggs for breakfast, Your Mum had Sausage.
Programmer Contest Sponsor Services
Reaction score
Sin$
Regarding the title, They haven't been caught yet.

UndeadBuzinga

UndeadBuzinga

That's my Cat, Elmo!
Reaction score
Sin$
dude, how in hell am i supposed to hack psn?
and yes, thats my facebook.. 
haha, nice joke :biggrin:

Joshy

Joshy

Premium
Glitcher Mythical Veteran Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
It shouldn't be that easy to hack a million dollar network.
All the cash and they can't put up the best security. :facepalm:

NotJordon

NotJordon

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd love to know what DDOSing a server proves about security, if you use enough computers and packets of data you can take down whatever the f*ck you want. This is just a bunch of kids that just discovered LOIC.

Top Bottom
Login
Register