- Thermal Paste

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Fluxing PS3 BGA's+ Clamp Bending!
Seeing as the newer slims do not get YLOD, I have not included video for slim YLOD fixes because they do not get them. All credit to Gilksy. Use this at your own risk. Have the money? Buy a slim and save yourself the trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeLaRoc

DeeLaRoc

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
What is YLOD?
YLOD is like the RROD on Xbox 360's. This is due to the fact the solder balls under the cpu and gpu were made with lead free solder which in turn heated up and melted at a lower temperature. The reflow techniques using a heat gun are tricky as if you put too much heat in one area, you can easily damage the chips/resistors and/or warp the motherboard easily. When I do this with a heat gun I use low temp to start and using 30 second increments to the max temp and then use 30 second increments again to bring the temp down gradually. This is to prevent cracking on the solder balls. When I'm heating also, I use small circular motions also so that the area I'm heating is evenly spread and also to help prevent cooking the chips. I also use a electric griddle too that is about half an inch or so off the bottom of the motherboard to safely heat the board to prevent warping of the motherboard. This technique isn't 100% and an actual reball with lead solder is the best way as sometimes the solder balls can melt together and cause RROD/YLOD and no reflowing can help with this issue.

V

vaggelis gol

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello
I have a 60gb model phat ps3 that has had 3 ylods so far .
The first on was way back in 2010~ .I turned off the console and it never opened again . then I thought the system was dead for good until recently when I tried reflow repair and the system booted up . it was on fw 3.30 so I decided to put a cfw into it .so I put Habib cobra 4.78 cfw . the system lasted 2 days when it closed suddenly while I was using it . I performed the reflow a second time ( both times I used arctic alumina thermal paste ) successfully and decided to mod the fan inside. I unplugged the fan from the motherboard and wired it to a ps2 slim power supply . now the CPU and GPU had ~40°C instead of 70°C . and it lasted a week. This time it closed while I was using it and I was able to boot it up one more time but it never booted to xmb . was a blackscreen for 30secs and then yellow light .My question is "Did I do something wrong? How can I make the system become more stable?"

Pianist Prodigy

Pianist Prodigy

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran MotM Contest Sponsor
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello
I have a 60gb model phat ps3 that has had 3 ylods so far .
The first on was way back in 2010~ .I turned off the console and it never opened again . then I thought the system was dead for good until recently when I tried reflow repair and the system booted up . it was on fw 3.30 so I decided to put a cfw into it .so I put Habib cobra 4.78 cfw . the system lasted 2 days when it closed suddenly while I was using it . I performed the reflow a second time ( both times I used arctic alumina thermal paste ) successfully and decided to mod the fan inside. I unplugged the fan from the motherboard and wired it to a ps2 slim power supply . now the CPU and GPU had ~40°C instead of 70°C . and it lasted a week. This time it closed while I was using it and I was able to boot it up one more time but it never booted to xmb . was a blackscreen for 30secs and then yellow light .My question is "Did I do something wrong? How can I make the system become more stable?"
Reaper maybe he can help you more, I have no clue how to resolve this.

Top Bottom
Login
Register