What's new

Question PS3 turns on to Black Screen. Please Help...

• Thread starter Mathieu_Reckless
  • Start date
  • Views 6,909
Mathieu_Reckless

Mathieu_Reckless

Taken 2
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm still having an issue with my jailbroken PS3. Narrowed it down to the hard drive being corrupted, therefore needing to be replaced with a new one meaning I'd have to set up my jailbroken PS3 from scratch, something which I've never done before since I bought the PS3 already jailbroken months ago. This is the first problem I've had with it. I've also read about it possibly needing something called a "Reball Service" done??? At first I thought I was being trolled, but seems like that's actually the name of the repair in question. Listed below is the complete summary of every issue I've encountered. I'd greatly appreciate it if somebody can help me with this. Thanks.

When I turned on my PS3 all I got was a black screen. The controller was charging as normal while plugged in via the USB cable and the power light never showed any signs of YLOD. Initially I assumed it was an issue with the display settings so I went about the normal procedure of resetting them using the method of holding down the power button after the system has been turned on until I heard the single beep. Still had a black screen. I turned my system off and back on. Repeated the display reset and even unplugged the system, HDMI cable and went as far as to do the same with the T.V. that my system is hooked up to. After all this I still had the same issue. So from here I booted into Safe Mode. Once my system powered on the Safe Mode screen popped up so I assumed I was in the clear so I just picked the top option via the Safe Boot Menu to "Restart PS3". After it restarted I was again presented with a Black Screen. So from here I Reset to default settings, then Repaired the File System and after all these didn't work and I had done some research I was left with no choice but to restore the system. after choosing the option and after the bar filled up the system restarted and again was presented with a black screen! I even tried hooking it up to a different T.V. to see if that would help, it didn't.

I can only assume now that my HDD is needing to be replaced. If this is the case then how would I go about making sure my system stays Jailbroken? I know I first have to make sure the new HDD is in FAT32 and from there I just install it as one normally would when doing this procedure. I assume that during all of this I should keep my system unplugged from the router to avoid any automatic updates that would prevent me from keeping it jailbroken. Now would I just load whatever CFW I was using, in my case PS3ita DEX, onto a portable USB drive and when prompted choose that to be installed? Also since I am still VERY new to the Jailbreak scene I was wondering since now that I'm stuck with having to restore my system and all the above would I be able to just find a suitable CFW that's CEX so that I can avoid the higher risk of being banned from PSN? I know all CFW come with a risk, but I've read and been told that DEX has a higher risk. As of late the only game I even play online is GTA5 and haven't even bothered with modding or hacking while playing because I honestly haven't felt the need to do so due to risk of being banned from GTA Online. Now that I've completed pretty much everything online has I have grown curious about all these mod menus and such I see people using on YouTube. Of course while I'm still getting used to all of it I would be in Solo or Invite only sessions with my crew or friends.

Sorry if this seems like a lot to ask but I wanted to try and get as much information on here as possible to avoid having to go back and forth replying to messages and such. I would greatly appreciate any and all help!

My Checklist:
1. Replace the HDD.
2. Preload a USB drive with my CFW. (If I am able to just simply install a CEX CFW instead of my DEX CFW i was using before is that possible since the HDD is brand new?)
3. Reinstall any .pkg files I was using.
4. Reinstall GTA5. (I don't have a disc to back this game up and was told I can download the required files to reinstall the game. I downloaded one from kickasstorrents and there were 5 different package files, all of varying sizes, in the zip folder that was downloaded. Is this what I need or did I download the wrong thing? If anybody has a good place where I can download GTA5 please let me know.)

Thanks again to anybody who reads this and hope to hear back from someone.

BurtE

BurtE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm still having an issue with my jailbroken PS3. Narrowed it down to the hard drive being corrupted, therefore needing to be replaced with a new one meaning I'd have to set up my jailbroken PS3 from scratch, something which I've never done before since I bought the PS3 already jailbroken months ago. This is the first problem I've had with it. I've also read about it possibly needing something called a "Reball Service" done??? At first I thought I was being trolled, but seems like that's actually the name of the repair in question. Listed below is the complete summary of every issue I've encountered. I'd greatly appreciate it if somebody can help me with this. Thanks.

When I turned on my PS3 all I got was a black screen. The controller was charging as normal while plugged in via the USB cable and the power light never showed any signs of YLOD. Initially I assumed it was an issue with the display settings so I went about the normal procedure of resetting them using the method of holding down the power button after the system has been turned on until I heard the single beep. Still had a black screen. I turned my system off and back on. Repeated the display reset and even unplugged the system, HDMI cable and went as far as to do the same with the T.V. that my system is hooked up to. After all this I still had the same issue. So from here I booted into Safe Mode. Once my system powered on the Safe Mode screen popped up so I assumed I was in the clear so I just picked the top option via the Safe Boot Menu to "Restart PS3". After it restarted I was again presented with a Black Screen. So from here I Reset to default settings, then Repaired the File System and after all these didn't work and I had done some research I was left with no choice but to restore the system. after choosing the option and after the bar filled up the system restarted and again was presented with a black screen! I even tried hooking it up to a different T.V. to see if that would help, it didn't.

I can only assume now that my HDD is needing to be replaced. If this is the case then how would I go about making sure my system stays Jailbroken? I know I first have to make sure the new HDD is in FAT32 and from there I just install it as one normally would when doing this procedure. I assume that during all of this I should keep my system unplugged from the router to avoid any automatic updates that would prevent me from keeping it jailbroken. Now would I just load whatever CFW I was using, in my case PS3ita DEX, onto a portable USB drive and when prompted choose that to be installed? Also since I am still VERY new to the Jailbreak scene I was wondering since now that I'm stuck with having to restore my system and all the above would I be able to just find a suitable CFW that's CEX so that I can avoid the higher risk of being banned from PSN? I know all CFW come with a risk, but I've read and been told that DEX has a higher risk. As of late the only game I even play online is GTA5 and haven't even bothered with modding or hacking while playing because I honestly haven't felt the need to do so due to risk of being banned from GTA Online. Now that I've completed pretty much everything online has I have grown curious about all these mod menus and such I see people using on YouTube. Of course while I'm still getting used to all of it I would be in Solo or Invite only sessions with my crew or friends.

Sorry if this seems like a lot to ask but I wanted to try and get as much information on here as possible to avoid having to go back and forth replying to messages and such. I would greatly appreciate any and all help!

My Checklist:
1. Replace the HDD.
2. Preload a USB drive with my CFW. (If I am able to just simply install a CEX CFW instead of my DEX CFW i was using before is that possible since the HDD is brand new?)
4. Reinstall GTA5. (I don't have a disc to back this game up and was told I can download the required files to reinstall the game. I downloaded one from kickasstorrents and there were 5 different package files, all of varying sizes, in the zip folder that was downloaded. Is this what I need or did I download the wrong thing? If anybody has a good place where I can download GTA5 please let me know.)

No need to change hdd. go into safe mode, reinstall the same firmware that you was previously running.

If that doesnt fix, then change the hdd, reinstall the same firmware <---- has to be same fw otherwise you'll brick

Last edited:
R

Red100

The life of the wife is ended by the knife
Reaction score
Sin$
No need to change hdd. go into safe mode, reinstall the same firmware that you was previously running.

If that doesnt fix, then change the hdd, reinstall the same firmware <---- has to be same fw otherwise you'll brick.

Not really can be any firmware, it won't cause a brick, just means you'll have to start over :smile:

A

Aergelo

Reaction score
Sin$

If that doesnt fix, then change the hdd, reinstall the same firmware <---- has to be same fw otherwise you'll brick
Hey I'm having the same issue as this guy, I changed my hdd but nothing worked. Still no splay so what's going on?

yaSebastian

yaSebastian

#TooSweet
Reaction score
Sin$

My Checklist:
1. Replace the HDD.

The first thing you would want to try is using the AVMULTIOUT port with the corresponding cables to see if it's a faulty HDMI or the problem is somewhere else. If you get an image over AVMULTIOUT it is related to the HDMI cable or the actual port on the console. In this case, you will need to do the same test with the HDMI port.

If you are still having issues, it is likely related to the CPU or GPU in the console. While the ports being dirty is rarely the problem, it may not hurt to try cleaning the ports an ruling out that possibility. It can also be a port issue as well, which complicates things more.

There is no permanent repair, sadly. The best you can do is reflow it, back the system up and get your stuff off the console and migrate it to a new one. There is no way to repair the console with a replacement CPU and GPU without console banning it and rendering the Blu-Ray drive useless.

Top Bottom
Login
Register